What's new

Speick & Musgo Real: Splash vs. Balsam vs. Cologne, for a dry skinned dude.

So, I've tried Speick and Musgo splashes and I love them. They smell great, and refreshing sensation of splashing them on after a shave is fantastic. But--I can just barely get away without having to use a moisturizer afterwards (summer was fine, but I don't know if I'll be able to get away with that in the wintertime). Almost all other splashes require a moisturizer afterwards, too.

This makes me wonder about the balms. Maybe I need to try them one day. But what I'd like to know--do the balsams smell like the splash? The scent is the #1 reason why I'd buy it at this point. If not, I'll stick with the splash and moisturize afterwards if needed.

I'm also considering skipping it all entirely, and just using Nivea balm followed up by Speick EdC or Musgo Aqua Di Colonia. Musgo has 2 different Aqua Di Colonia, and I'm not sure how they smell. Regardless, do you guys know if the cologne smell is similar to the AS? Maybe they even last longer? If so I might go that route.

The Musgo balm complements the splash very nicely. They don't smell quite like the cream, but they're quite nice in their own right. And if you have dry skin, Musgo is a go-to during winter. More of a milk than a balm, it just soaks right in and leaves your face feeling slick but not greasy.

Speick balm is a bit greasier, but if you have dry skin you may appreciate it in the winter. The scent is like the splash; a bit less lavender than the cream, a bit more cologne-like.

I don't know about the colognes, so I can't offer anything there.

+1 to what Neurotpia said about the Musgo. I bought a sample of the splash, and really liked the scent, but I knew that I would need the basalm. I just got it a week ago, and I don't really notice any difference in the scent. Liked what was said above it is a milk.

I used to use the Nivea balm. I use about three times as much Nivea as I do the Musgo, it goes on wet face and head(I read a thread on how to apply the basalm). As an added plus, the Musgo soothes much better. I pushed a blade too far Sunday, and felt a little burn. As I put on the Musgo I felt a nice cool relief, which lasted all day.

I really like the Speick splash that I have, but I like the Musgo scent more, and the LOTH LOVES the Musgo.

Thanks for the responses! More effective than the Nivea and the same Musgo scent? Awesome.

How's the staying power? Does it fade quickly or linger for awhile?

G'day. I own the Speick Balm and Splash, and the Musgo Splash.

I've got fairly oily skin, so the splashes are more suitable for me. Musgo is my preference over Speick as I like to use it as an aftershave and cologne in one. The scent on this stuff is monstrous. It seems fairly moisturising for a splash, but it's still a splash.

If you have drier skin, especially now that you're going into winter, a balm would likely be the way to go. Again, I don't have any experience with the Musgo balsam, but the Speick balm's scent seems stronger than the splash's (which is unusual, as most splashes have a stronger frag than the balm).

So essentially you're tossing up between using a cologne with a moisturiser, a splash with a moisturiser, or a balm.
Obviously it's a trade-off between a shorter prep-time (using just the balm) and getting a longer-lasting scent (Nivea + cologne).
Have you considered getting the balm (as you'll need something with moisturising properties heading into winter, so the tops of your cheeks don't flake and peel) as well as the cologne? That way you can have a very long-lasting scent as they will stack on each other (although the colognes and aftershave balms from each range won't be EXACTLY the same scent, they're designed to complement one another quite well).

Sorry for being an enabler, but I would try and source a sample of each cologne, and then get both the balm and cologne of the fragrance you most prefer.

I have used the Musgo Balsam and the splash for quite a few years. In fact, it's the only aftershave I own (a crime, ain't it?).

The scent is almost identical. I use the splash a lot less than the balsam though. If you get an irritating shave for whatever reason, the balsam soothes and doesn't sting at all, which is why I love it. It's fabulous. Scent doesn't last as long though as the splash.

Jeff

Sorry for being an enabler, but I would try and source a sample of each cologne, and then get both the balm and cologne of the fragrance you most prefer.

I really want to get the balm now. You are all enablers. :001_tt2:

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom