What's new

Speick lathering?

Is Speick cream supposed to lather? I used it for the first time today and just could not get it to lather. Still had a nice shave, just more like a Creamo shave.

I'd have to ask; enough cream? or do you know if you have really hard water?
I know I started out using too little and it took some time to decide I could use more. Also, there's a sense of "it's almost too-much concentrated cream - but the lather is just soo darn luxurious."

Oh, another thing, do you put the concentrate in a bowl or lather in your brush on your face?

Hard water is not something I fight where I live now, but I know what it's like from past experience. Suggest bottled if you want your best results or just a base line to know how products act in ideal conditions.

I'd have to ask; enough cream? or do you know if you have really hard water?
I know I started out using too little and it took some time to decide I could use more. Also, there's a sense of "it's almost too-much concentrated cream - but the lather is just soo darn luxurious."

Oh, another thing, do you put the concentrate in a bowl or lather in your brush on your face?

Hard water is not something I fight where I live now, but I know what it's like from past experience. Suggest bottled if you want your best results or just a base line to know how products act in ideal conditions.
Thanks. I have soft water. Maybe too little product - maybe a half inch ribbon pr less. I had nice slickness but little lather. I used a fairly dry brush too. Is this maybe a thirsty cream?

That sounds like the weak point, @Cino. When I suggested using more, that's about what I'd need, to leave me with a very well stuffed brush at the end of shaving by first preparing my lather in a bowl, and then spreading that with my brush on the face and massaging four good passes. Speick's shaving cream from a tube does need to be expanded with some water. And a half inch of ribbon out of that tube nozzle would be a goodly amount of soap. I hope this helps!

Lathers beautifully and consistently for me, never had an issue with Speick cream. Like @Merle mentioned, about 1/2 an inch out of the tube, maybe a bit less even. I always face lather and add water as I go and it works quite well.

For me all, scent, lather and performance are quite good.

Is this maybe a thirsty cream?
I wouldn't class it as "thirsty" per se, but if you're not getting a lather and are using a pretty dry brush, I would of course suggest to experiment and add more water the next time you use it, because I've always gotten a really thick, voluminous lather out of Speick cream.

The original, traditional Speick has always lathered well for me. I haven't tried Speick Active cream - is that the version you are using? I saw one review that said that the Active version is highly concentrated.

The original, traditional Speick has always lathered well for me. I haven't tried Speick Active cream - is that the version you are using? I saw one review that said that the Active version is highly concentrated.
I have the red and blue version. Thanks all for the tips. I'm encouraged to keep working on it. What I like is the clean mellow scent. It kind of clears the olfactory after days of using heavily scented soaps. Kinda like a sorbet.

Red and blue is "traditional", "active" line is red and gray.

Probably just need to soak your brush on your next attempt (and/or) add water as you go.

I tried it again yesterday. I used more product. Better but still not great. Not sure I've got the water dialed in.

I have hard water. I need to use a fairly large amount(4+ almonds) of Speick to get it to lather up and I have to feed it a decent amount of water but it eventually gets there. I really like the scent but its not a great performer for me(not slick enough and not enough cushion for my preference). Proraso green on the other hand explodes out of the brush with just an almond sized amount and performs great.

I played around with it again this morning. I think i've been using too much water. I kept adding product to a point where it exploded into a slick, cushiony lather. I'm used to soaps that require more water to get started. Speick isn't like that. I use a cold water scuttle as well which might make the cream more sensitive to water content. I think I may just have to be more patient in adding water so I don't overdo it.

Used it only this morning.
Nice dense lather (soft water), no complaints whatsoever, but used definitely more than ½ inch of product.

B.

Speick is a very easy cream to lather. Try bowl lathering, be generous with the amount of cream. Swirl and plunge (more plunging than swirling), add water as needed until the lather has a slight sheen. Easy peasy.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I've been using Speick (red & blue) cream going on a decade. It lathers beautifully in all conditions (used to be my travel cream so I've tried it all over the U.S. and several other countries). Not sure what to tell you other than keep at it.

I face lather FWIW

Just picked up three tubes in Germany. After the first shave, I purchased two more tubes. I felt the water in Düsseldorf was pretty hard, but the cream performed great.

One of the best creams. Very easy to lather, slick and great post shave. Experiment with more water, not a little bit, you’ll be surprised!

Top Bottom