What's new

SPEICK blue, redesigned & reformulated

The whole Speick blue line has obviously received a slightly new design. The "old" has bright stripes across the blue sector. The new has no stripes, the blue sector is larger and the red sector smaller. This is for all products of the blue line.
The pictures just show the shaving cream as an example.

proxy.php

proxy.php

More interesting than this minor change of the design is the change of the scent. In my opinion, it is now sweeter, and that darker, slightly woodsy, manly whiff has gone. Although I am not happy at all with this change, the blue Speick will remain in my den. As far as I know, the reformulation concerns the scent only. I cannot make out a difference in performance so far. I shall need some more comparative shaves.

What is your experience? How would you describe the difference between the two scents?

M

Member 113878

May be a good thing for me as I think the Patchouli note was too strong.

It may have been reformulated to address skin sensitivities. The amount of oakmoss has been decreasing in alot of products because of recognition that skin sensitivities to oakmoss are more widespread than were once believed.

The article seems a bit sensationalistic... I'm not sure it's an outright ban, but more likely a strict limit on the concentration of certain molecules, or ingredrients containing them. The fragrance industry has its own trade groups like the International Fragrance Association that engage in some self-regulation in response to scientific evidence, and I'm sure these new regulations were in consultation with these types of groups.

Old Spice has also been subject to reformulation in 2016 due to its high eugenol content not conforming to new regulations.

As somebody with sensitive skin, I can't say I object strongly to these changes, though I would hope there are different criteria for functional fragrances, such as aftershaves, and perfumes. Perfumes and colognes are typically not used on damaged skin, but aftershaves and shave creams are by design. People are also exposed to alot more functional fragrances, increasing the risk of allergy and sensitivity.

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
As a big fan of Speick for going on a decade I was a bit concerned when I read the OP. Funny enough, I just ordered some new product, I did notice the slight change in packaging but I thought nothing of it. After reading the OP I broke out the new stuff and compared it to my older product. All the ingredients are exactly the same, so if they reformulated it, it must be in the Parfum part of the ingredients only. However, side by side I cannot detect a noticeable difference in scent. And as the ingredients list is otherwise the same I expect performance hasn't changed. Phew! Anxiety attack averted...

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 9.29.37 AM.png

Last edited:
As a big fan of Speick for going on a decade I was a bit concerned when I read the OP. Funny enough, I just ordered some new product, I did notice the slight change in packaging but I thought nothing of it. After reading the OP I broke out the new stuff and compared it to my older product. All the ingredients are exactly the same, so if they reformulated it, it must be in the Parfum part of the ingredients only. However, side by side I cannot detect a noticeable difference in scent. And as the ingredients list is otherwise the same I expect performance hasn't changed. Phew! Anxiety attack averted...

View attachment 1034173
Glad to hear this Shavefan , I love the scent of Speick !!!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I shaved with my new cream this morning and followed up with the new aftershave. Performance is right on with what I've come to expect with Speick but I will say that perhaps the scent is a bit weaker. The scent is the same, and maybe it's just my imagination that it's not as strong. I felt that the AS had more of an alcohol tone than the past version. Still awesome though!

I don't think this is new. I've been using Speick products purchased circa January 2019 and have the "new" packaging with all my Speick products.

Had used the "old" tube previously and recently bought a tube of the "new" in Germany. Did not notice a difference myself.

Interesting. So neither "new" nor reformulated
Bingo.

Lots of posts you'll see talking about scent changes, usually with a soap like tabac, are usually more about a person buying a new puck and of course the scent is stronger than their previous 2 year old one.

Thank you for all your comments. :thumbup:

The comparison of the old and new BLUE SPEICK is subjective anyway. It is easily possible that the scent notes differ between a 1, 2 3, 4... year old cream and a newly bought one, as @MrSmith83 states. Some scent notes my vanish over time, making the remaining scent notes to appear stronger, resulting in a change of the scent balance.

The slight changes in design may produce some psychological effects in believing that redesign also means reformulation. As I wrote in my entry I only notice a difference in scent, not in performance or ingredients.

A wet shaving friend of a German forum wrote an email to SPEICK. Apart from the scent, some wet shavers also noticed a change of the color (the old one being or becoming a beige tan). However, he received the answer, that they only changed the coloring additives (because of health matters), nothing else.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thank you for all your comments. :thumbup:

The comparison of the old and new BLUE SPEICK is subjective anyway. It is easily possible that the scent notes differ between a 1, 2 3, 4... year old cream and a newly bought one, as @MrSmith83 states. Some scent notes my vanish over time, making the remaining scent notes to appear stronger, resulting in a change of the scent balance.

The slight changes in design may produce some psychological effects in believing that redesign also means reformulation. As I wrote in my entry I only notice a difference in scent, not in performance or ingredients.

A wet shaving friend of a German forum wrote an email to SPEICK. Apart from the scent, some wet shavers also noticed a change of the color (the old one being or becoming a beige tan). However, he received the answer, that they only changed the coloring additives (because of health matters), nothing else.

Thanks for the follow up!

Stumbled upon this old thread, the change is something I've posted about at the time but on another site but the first thing I noticed was the change in the color of the cream, which isn't even mentioned here and the scent, which barely is. But while we're on the subject of Speick, has the stick changed as well?

Top Bottom