What's new

Speedloaders...Keeping Revolvers Relevant.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a Sap but was never authorized to carry one, just the ASP or PR 24. No kids to swat with it either.

My father and grandfather rest their souls, were both lifer's with over 60 years of law enforcement between them. When I was younger, I have taken quite a few swats from the handle end of both of their SAP's more times then I care to remember. :)

IIRC, the go to speed loader in my circa 2004 Revolver Class at Thunder Ranch taught by Clint Smith was the HKS. While others were represented, those were clearly the predominant ones used by both the 10-12 guys in my crew and the other 6-8 folks in the class.

I distinctly shooting drills on the charger deck where the target would charge and retreat via a motorized system. When we were done, the ground was covered with speed loaders. It was like somebody smacked a pinata and that's what came spilling out.

This was my first sleep away gun class. It was perhaps the last season from Clint at TR before he moved to Oregon.

Good Times.

I'm sitting here meandering about the internet while doing my all-night gun show security stint at the Expo Center in Abilene, Texas. The Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel is on my belt and an HKS speed loader is in my right cargo pocket along with a speed strip.

A Smoth & Wesson Model 649 is in the right front trousers pocket, just as an "additional reload."

HKS speed loaders are the only brand I have ever used. Don't necesssarily like the knob twist feature and the Safariland loader seems a superior design, but somehow I am more fumble-y with the Safariland.

I used to regularly carry my 686 and have both HKS & Safariland speed loaders. Over time I gravitated to HKS only even though the Safariland might be a tick faster. However it is not as positive to handle, the knurl on the HKS far better. My son just bought a couple billet speed loaders for his 686. I like those a lot. I am sure it is just my imagination but subjectively the rounds seem like they drop faster. I know, I know...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I used to regularly carry my 686 and have both HKS & Safariland speed loaders. Over time I gravitated to HKS only even though the Safariland might be a tick faster. However it is not as positive to handle, the knurl on the HKS far better. My son just bought a couple billet speed loaders for his 686. I like those a lot. I am sure it is just my imagination but subjectively the rounds seem like they drop faster. I know, I know...

I get what you are saying. I am no wheel gun aficionado, but I have been playing around quite a bit with and comparing the HKS with the Safariland. While pushing the release would seem faster then twisting the knob on a HKS is true, I find, that actually getting all the rounds into the cylinder holes themselves is faster with the HKS then the Safariland.

I can grab the HKS knurled knob and twist the rounds into place while twisting the knob simultaneously in the cylinders to release faster, then trying to twist the frame of the Safariland aligning the rounds over the holes in the cylinder and then having to reach for the knob to push and release.

Others miles may vary. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The thing about the Safariland speed loaders is that they have tactile flutes that correspond with the flutes of the revolvers cylinder. With sufficient practice, these tactile reference points can speed up the proper alignment of the bullets to the charge holes of the cylinder. But it does take a whole bunch of practice!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
E937B0FE-C416-4520-8B7A-B7FBF08A0253.jpeg

Notice how the flutes of cylinder align with the flutes of the Comp II speedloader. The Comp I speed loader, which is more compact, does not have flutes and is similar to the HKS in that regard, although the release mechanism if different from the HKS. I find the Comp I difficult to load the rounds securely and too easy to release the rounds accidentally, not recommended,YMMV.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

The thing about the Safariland speed loaders is that they have tactile flutes that correspond with the flutes of the revolvers cylinder. With sufficient practice, these tactile reference points can speed up the proper alignment of the bullets to the charge holes of the cylinder. But it does take a whole bunch of practice!

Something I haven't had the time to do, when it comes to revolvers. Probably why I have never tried to carry one. My life will slow down soon and I will have to remedy that! :)

OkieStubble

View attachment 1067632

Notice how the flutes of cylinder align with the flutes of the Comp II speedloader. The Comp I speed loader, which is more compact, does not have flutes and is similar to the HKS in that regard, although the release mechanism if different from the HKS. I find the Comp I difficult to load the rounds securely and too easy to release the rounds accidentally, not recommended,YMMV.

Great looking pistol John! My HKS's I have for my Ruger SP101 are very small and doesn't have any flutes on the side to align with the cylinder holes, but you can see the back of the shell casings while looking down at the speedloader during the reload and align the shells with the cylinder holes.

IMG_0668.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I am admittedly WAY out of practice. I fumbled a lot the last time I shot revolver at our informal RSO match, but I was in good company among several other fumblers and single round loaders! No speed reloads in our 6 round count events! Too many old codgers complain if the course of fire gets too realistic, unfortunately.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yup, I just got an HKS for my SP101 in .32 cal (6 shot). It's tiny! The Safariland Comp 1 does not have flutes either. It is the most compact, but awkward to load and prone to accidental release of the cartridges, particularly if carried in a pocket, at least that is my limited experience.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Great looking pistol John! My HKS's I have for my Ruger SP101 are very small and doesn't have any flutes on the side to align with the cylinder holes, but you can see the back of the shell casings while looking down at the speedloader during the reload and align the shells with the cylinder holes.

View attachment 1067653
I practice blind reloads where you never take you eyes away from down range. Start by swing the cylinder out barrel pointed up and eject the empties. The barrel down and align one or two rounds with chambers and turn the knob. In most cases all 5 or 6 rounds will drop into the chambers and you never lose sight of threats.

At first it feels awkward but really in one or two dry sessions you will get all loaded and quickly.

OkieStubble

I am admittedly WAY out of practice. I fumbled a lot the last time I shot revolver at our informal RSO match, but I was in good company among several other fumblers and single round loaders! No speed reloads in our 6 round count events! Too many old codgers complain if the course of fire gets too realistic, unfortunately.

I ran a 2 day combat course back in the late 90's with a Taurus model 66 with .38's and full load .357's. The web of my shooting hand between my thumb and index finger, looked like someone took a butcher's cleaver to it; and I'm pretty sure, I had band-aids on my thumb and every finger on my hand. :)

I was really young at the time and my hands were very soft and supple... ;)

OkieStubble

I practice blind reloads where you never take you eyes away from down range. Start by swing the cylinder out barrel pointed up and eject the empties. The barrel down and align one or two rounds with chambers and turn the knob. In most cases all 5 or 6 rounds will drop into the chambers and you never lose sight of threats.

At first it feels awkward but really in one or two dry sessions you will get all loaded and quickly.

That is exactly what I do! That's why I like the HKS, because I can just feel when I have a couple of the rounds centered into the cylinder holes and then just start twisting the knob. The rest of the rounds seem to find their place as I release them from the holder. :)

OkieStubble

That is exactly what I do! That's why I like the HKS, because I can just feel when I have a couple of the rounds centered into the cylinder holes and then just start twisting the knob. The rest of the rounds seem to find their place as I release them from the holder. :)

EDIT: You gave me a great idea! I have plenty of plastic dummy rounds in 9mm, .40 and even .357 Sig and .30-.30. Why don't I have any .38's or .357's? I am going to have to fix that!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Some great info here!

A Pachy speedloader came; liked the quality but A-Z sent the wrong size. Correct size: sold out.

Ordered a Speed Beez, after reading some reviews. Their block system is overpriced, but Makershot has solid aluminum blocks ... Must be good, they are sold out!

It's almost as though there's a run on firearms and accoutrements ...

AA

I was the last in my department to carry a revolver. A Ruger Security Six with 2 HKS speed loaders. One day at the range, our sheriff who was a 1911 man challenged me to a timed qualification shoot with reloads. He didn't think a crusty old revolver could keep up. Long story short, I finished ahead of him and shot a better score. Sadly my Security Six is long gone. Ive since replaced it with a GP100 but I must say, I liked my old revolver much more.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I had a 2.75 Service-Six that I used for ages. Unfortunately I did not get custody of it along with a Browning Sweet Sixteen.

Top Bottom