What's new

Speedloaders...Keeping Revolvers Relevant.

Speed strip for my 642. I practice with it, not terribly efficient yet, but like it. I had a speed loader for an old m29 44 mag. It came with it and was a HKS ii believe. It seemed a bit picky but I never really played with it much. No longer own that revolver.

Do they work well with j frames?

The Jetloader is spring loaded like the apparently sought after SL Variant but has a single spring instead of 5 or 6. It pushes the rounds in with authority rather than relying on gravity.

I think they work pretty well.

Last summer when I was back east I got to visit with a gentleman named Michael deBethencourt who has started a noir themed club whose mission is to promote revolver skills. The group is called "I'm With Roscoe", Roscoe having been a slang term for a revolver which I'm sure isn't lost on anybody here since we're mostly not youngsters. They have a website, have managed discounts from Tuff Products and several other vendors and a group on Facebook that's pretty active.

Several pretty well known trainers are in the group if not the club.

891583E3-C4FE-415C-9720-92CF03048C3F.jpeg
BDAE1773-5571-4BC9-936E-6FA963BEC8EE.png
OWB speedloader pouches are not super common but not terribly hard to find either. My good buddy Sam Andrews can make carriers for just about anything. Especially noteworthy is the set up he has incorporated in a Monarch Shoulder rig he is making me. Good stuff😉

I've had the idea in mind for awhile that one of these pipe tobacco pouches could be repurposed into a speedloader carrier.
proxy.php

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Very cool, my service revolver gear was faux leather synthetic and didn't age well at all, total crap in the long run but worked OK in the short run.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
@jar_

Those look like dump pouches instead of speedloader pouches. The last dump pouches I carried would hold a speed strip if you stretched the leather a bit.

Very cool, my service revolver gear was faux leather synthetic and didn't age well at all, total crap in the long run but worked OK in the short run.

I hear ya on that. I still have some Clarino that we were required to use in Tulsa. Total crap after some time...like 5 years maybe...the finish is pealing on them. The real leather rigs I have still look great after well over 30 years.

I wore both Clarino and polished leather. Nothing was better on the back than swapping to web gear. First, its not barrel hoop rigid like thick leather. Secondly, it is adjustable instead of being a notch too loose or a notch too tight like leather always seemed to be...lol

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I wore both Clarino and polished leather. Nothing was better on the back than swapping to web gear. First, its not barrel hoop rigid like thick leather. Secondly, it is adjustable instead of being a notch too loose or a notch too tight like leather always seemed to be...lol

How well did that web gear carry the weight? The times I weighed my fully loaded rig, weapon, ammo, cuffs, nightstick, radio, OC spray, small flashlight, yada yada yada on doctor's scales it weighed 20 pounds or a bit more. And it didn't matter if I was carrying a Glock and 2 extra mags. or a .357 mag. with 24 rounds of ammo. Those Glocks make up for their lighter weight when you also add almost 50 rounds of 180 grain ammo to the equation.

It carried the weight just fine. I was issued all the gear you listed, plus a Taser and trauma kit....You are correct in the weight on a belt being about 20 lbs. Then of course I had a required to wear ballistic vest, plus had to carry in my car a plate carrier and Kevlar helmet for when it really got bad....Talk about a load.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Gosh. My 1st agency issued duty gear had 2 speed loaders for the revolver. That was more than 33 years ago.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Is that a....slap jack.. is that what they were called?

Slapper, slapjack, blackjack, sap, whatever they are called in your area. I only had to use that one once. Used the ASP a couple of times, but I like a good piece of hickory nightstick. You can do a good poke with hickory and not collapse it like an ASP can do sometimes and end things quick so no one gets hurt any more than necessary. Some people used to have lead sewn into the knuckles of leather gloves decades ago. Try using any of that now. But, when you're on your own and seconds count, back-up is only about a half-hour away.

I really liked it when we got to carry OC spray. Works great and ASPs were not used as much after that. The mace got to be a no-no politically but it seems OC is still working well.

For historical purposes only, and these are probably illegal in most all areas and banned by LE admins. now, a brief history...this sites version. I still really like OC spray...just don't spray it upwind.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Slapper, slapjack, blackjack, sap, whatever they are called in your area. I only had to use that one once. Used the ASP a couple of times, but I like a good piece of hickory nightstick. You can do a good poke with hickory and not collapse it like an ASP can do sometimes and end things quick so no one gets hurt any more than necessary. Some people used to have lead sewn into the knuckles of leather gloves decades ago. Try using any of that now. But, when you're on your own and seconds count, back-up is only about a half-hour away.

I really liked it when we got to carry OC spray. Works great and ASPs were not used as much after that. The mace got to be a no-no politically but it seems OC is still working well.

For historical purposes only, and these are probably illegal in most all areas and banned by LE admins. now, a brief history...this sites version. I still really like OC spray...just don't spray it upwind.

My father and grandfather rest their souls, were both lifer's with over 60 years of law enforcement between them. When I was younger, I have taken quite a few swats from the handle end of both of their SAP's more times then I care to remember. :)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I think I may have one from my father when he became a policeman after the military. I do remember him having one but it’s put away somewhere.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
@jar_

Those look like dump pouches instead of speedloader pouches. The last dump pouches I carried would hold a speed strip if you stretched the leather a bit.

They are dump pouches and the revolver is a Police Positive, not a Police Positive Special. It is two reloads of 38 S&W or one reload if 38 Special.

We don't need no stinkin speedloaders!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
My father and grandfather rest their souls, were both lifer's with over 60 years of law enforcement between them. When I was younger, I have taken quite a few swats from the handle end of both of their SAP's more times then I care to remember. :)

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. :lol:

Top Bottom