What's new

Specific requirements for an adjustable safety razor

I want to get an adjustable saftey razor but most of them are quite heavy. Ideally I don't want anything over 75g but I want a handle of atleast 90 milimeters (so that rules out the gillette fatboy and slim) as I prefer a long handle.

Any reccomendations?

I don't want anything over 75g but I want a handle of atleast 90 milimeters

Gillette Super 109.

67g
109.5mm handle
Adjustable

Super 109 on the left. Super 84 on the right.

IMG_2767.jpg

Anything non-vintage?

Modern is going to tough at that weight.

The Feather Adjustable meets the requirements…technically. It only has two adjustments, though: Mild or Aggressive.

The Parker 96R is a modern take on the Super 109, but it’s over your weight limit at 106g.

The aforementioned Merkur Progress would be my modern suggestion for that handle length, but it’s 103g.

Last edited:
Super 109 Standard - 67g
Black Beauty - Striped Knurling - 56g
Black Beauty - Diamond Knurling - 58g
What would be considered an acceptable price for these. I've seen a lot for 100$+ Even 150$+ is that what I should expect to pay? Because that's unfortunately out of my budget.

What would be considered an acceptable price for these. I've seen a lot for 100$+ Even 150$+ is that what I should expect to pay? Because that's unfortunately out of my budget.

Hell no, unless it’s shipping from Bolivia. You can find these most days at $60 or less. In many cases, much less. These were made in massive quantities, into the 80s, and they’re mostly plastic.

The only thing that you may contend with that I’m not familiar with is VAT for a non-UK seller. I did a cursory check on the Bay in your neck of the woods, and didn’t see any listed there.

Last edited:
Although 110 g, the Snmirn is 4 in. long. It is a comfortable and relatively mild adjustable razor at a very low price on a popular online shopping venue.

Razorock reportedly has a butterfly-door long-handle adjustable razor right now that is definitely not too heavy.
I was going to suggest this razor but it does not meet the weight requirement, 3.45oz or 98g. Yesterday was the first time I heard of this razor. But for $14.99 it cheap to try even if it's a rebranded Baili. The quality of my Baili BR179 is outstanding for a $6.45 razor.

The Weishi "Nostalgic Adjustable" is 92 gm, 11.5 cm length. Still out-of-spec.

The Merkur Progress long-handle has been around for a long time, and is quite nice. (I have used a short-handle Progress for years.)

And there's this current-production SE injector razor -- at 35 gms,12.6 cm, it's hard to beat:

. Charles

Top Bottom