What's new

Specific recommendations for a starting kit

I just posted my specific recommendations for a starting kit. I'd appreciate your comments, corrections, suggestions, etc.

UPDATE: Rik pointed out that I've been asked not to put links to my blog in the forum, but instead to include the actual text of the post. My bad. Here's the post, though I have not included all the links that the original post contains.

In my general guide to shaving with a safety razor [that's in my blog, thus no link---and at 8 pages, it's a little much to include in a post here - LG] I provide many options, but then the question arises: What do I specifically recommend to a potential enthusiast who wants to shave with safety razor and double-edged blade?

Fair question, and I’ll answer it here. I will point out that, should the experiment not work out for you, you can readily find buyers for the equipment and supplies on the ShaveMyFace and Badger & Blade selling threads. Indeed, you might be able to pick up some of your equipment there.

Normal budget

$30.00 Merkur Hefty Classic (”HD”)
$06.00 Feather blades
$35.00 Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush
$10.00 Proraso Shaving Cream (Green tube)
$00.00 Lathering bowl (deep cereal bowl—approx 5″ across, 3″ deep)
$03.00 Alum block
$13.00 Proraso Pre- and After-shave
$10.00 Pinaud 12.5 oz Bay Rum

$107 total, before shipping and any sales tax—not terribly modest, but a few corners can be cut. You can check out eBay to see if you can pick up a Gillette Super Speed in good condition. There’s general agreement that the 1940s is the best of the lot—here’s a photo of one (click photo to enlarge).

You can use the Prorase Pre- and After-shave as your aftershave, but some really prefer something else. The Pinaud Bay Rum is a classic, and the emptied bottle makes a great razor safe for used blades (cut a slit in the side). OTOH, you might prefer a moisturizing balm for your aftershave, and Neutrogena Razor Defense ($6.00) is available at your local drugstore. Generally speaking, a balm is soothing, an aftershave bracing, so you choose the effect you want.

And, as mentioned above, you should check out the selling threads in ShaveMyFace and Badger & Blade.

There are, of course, options in the other direction—e.g., getting the HD in gold instead of chrome ($40, but very nice).

Only the best

$100.00 Merkur Vision safety razor
$006.00 Feather blades
$185.00 Emperor 3 Super Badger brush (scroll down)
$013.50 Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado shaving cream
$000.00 Lathering bowl (deep cereal bowl—approx 5″ across, 3″ deep)
$003.00 Alum block
$013.00 Proraso Pre- and After-shave
$010.00 Pinaud 12.5 oz Bay Rum

This amounts to $330.50 before shipping and sales tax, if my addition is correct. But this really is an exceptional collection. The Vision is adjustable, and I recommend that you start with it set at “N” (least aggressive) and adjust it upward day by day until you find the setting that’s best for you.

Regardless of your first razor, I recommend that your second razor be the Merkur Slant Bar ($30.00). It should be a second razor because it requires a light touch and a sure hand, so you should be an experienced wielder of the safety razor before using it. Feather blades work wonderfully well in it. It will not give closer shaves than the Vision, in my experience, but it’s a different shave. You can also get it in gold for $40.

And, of course, I recommend the four-pass shaving method: progressive reduction of stubble before a final upward pass. For beginners, it’s been suggested that starting with a two-pass method—a with-the-grain pass (for most men, that’s downward) followed by an E-W pass—is enough. Progress to the four-pass method as you gain experience.

It’s worth noting that a given brand of blade will get different responses from different people. Feathers are sharp, and that’s what’s required in a razor blade IMHO (given a good razor, the right setting if it’s adjustable, the right angle, light pressure, etc.), but some people prefer the Merkur blades or the Derby Extra or the Personna. (WalMart has Personna blades at $1.36 for ten: 14 cents apiece.) Whatever you start with, you’re likely to want to experiment. But you have to start someplace, and the Feathers have been great for me. YMMV

When you decide to get a second aftershave, I recommend Thayer’s Witch Hazel (alcohol free), which you can find at Whole Foods and in various health-food stores in Rose Petal, Lavender, or Original. Or get Thayer’s Extra Strength Aftershave with Aloe Vera.

Eventually you’ll want to try other shaving creams and also shaving soaps. The general guide provides some options for these, and don’t overlook the artisanal shaving soaps.

Target has a $3 cereal bowl that exactly the right size and shape and is also hefty—feels as though it will hold heat well. Or you can use a cereal bowl you already have.

The general guide includes links to tutorials (complete with photos) of lathering techniques for creams and for soaps. Check those out to ensure that you get satisfactory results.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good shaving!

Hmz, what a coincidence: last night I ordered the exact same setup except for the Pinaud. I added the Long Classic to it as well since I have fairly big hands a Taylor (Mr. Taylor) cream and a brush stand. Hoping it will arrive mid next week (shipped from US and UK to BE) :001_smile

Yep. I do have a few of them and have used them, but I specifically was writing recommendations for people wanting to shave using a safety razor and double-edged blades. Besides, Gem is tricky to use, IMHO.

I'm curious as to what you find tricky about GEM razors? Anyone who has kept track of my progress (such as it is) since I came here will recall just how much trouble I had (and am having:blushing: ) finding a consistent angle with a DE. That is what I like so much about the GEM's, Injectors and Ever Ready Razors, I just find them so much easier to use. Also, as I have posted many times before, I find the blades to be better, they give a closer more comfortable shave and are more durable. I would even say that using an SE, has improved what little technique I have with a DE. I know the prime tenet of wet shaving is YMMV, and I am certainly not trying to rubbish your opinions or findings ( I think it is very good of you to transcribe your experiences for the less experienced) but I would be interested to hear what you find so difficult about them?
For anyone else, join me on the dark side, get a single edge.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
AJS said:
I'm curious as to what you find tricky about GEM razors? Anyone who has kept track of my progress (such as it is) since I came here will recall just how much trouble I had (and am having:blushing: ) finding a consistent angle with a DE. That is what I like so much about the GEM's, Injectors and Ever Ready Razors, I just find them so much easier to use. Also, as I have posted many times before, I find the blades to be better, they give a closer more comfortable shave and are more durable. I would even say that using an SE, has improved what little technique I have with a DE. I know the prime tenet of wet shaving is YMMV, and I am certainly not trying to rubbish your opinions or findings ( I think it is very good of you to transcribe your experiences for the less experienced) but I would be interested to hear what you find so difficult about them?

Alex, if you say that one more time I will be forced to buy a GEM.:001_rolle

AJS said:

There you go, repeated word for word. Now go buy a GEM, or an Injector or an Ever Ready (or all three.) I f you can't win people over with the brilliance of your arguments you have to grind them down with sheer, dogged persistence. Anyone else want their spirit's broken? No? Then go and buy a GEM (or an Injector or an Ever Ready:tongue: )

Well, as already observed, the post of recommendations is for double-edged shaving. And as for the Gem, I tend to get more nicks and not so close a shave as compared with the Merkur Slant Bar and Vision. Thus my recommendations. I do understand the bit about keeping the magic dot on the cheek, etc., but I have to pay attention to my experience, right? But maybe later I'll post some recommendations for single-edged shaving, and the Gem will be right up there. :001_smile

Oops. Sorry about that. Link is now fixed (in the opening post in this thread). Thanks for pointing out the error.

You know, that's odd: I'm sure the link was initially correct, because I got a lot of hits from this very thread. Did it get changed for some reason? At any rate, it's correct for now. Here's where it's supposed to go.

UPDATE: Mystery solved. Rik reminded me that I've been ask to include no links to my blog, so the links I had were switched to Badger & Blade. The request is intended to make these forums complete in themselves, without external references, so I'm to include the text of my blog post instead of the link. So I've changed the first post of this thread to include the text of the post, though without any links (since those would be external links). If you want the links, you can find the post in the blog.

My apologies to all. I'm just used to linking. No bad intentions, I assure you.

Just curious here, but what is the issue with linking to non-B&B links? I mean, if the info is readily available on another site isn't it much more logical to provide a link to said site than it is to copy & paste text from the site to B&B? Also, a link provides clear indication as to where the information originated (a case of credit-where-credit-is-due or take-it-with-a-grain-of-salt)... Perhaps a mod can clear this up for me...

Michael,

Leisureguy was not originally asked to not include any external links. As you know, many members here have blogs. Heck, there are even many links to a non-member's blog. Leisureguy was originally requested to, for the ease of the members, also include the relevant info from the articles he was linking to in his post as well as the link.

This request was disregarded.

B&B's primary purpose is to easily disseminate information, and to promote discourse. The moderators felt that threads continually popping up where the meat of the thread was "check out my blog" were counterproductive.

Leisureguy's contributions aren't in question here, simply the method of delivery.

-Nick

Okay, here's the new text I've added:

It’s worth noting that a given brand of blade will get different responses from different people. Feathers are sharp, and for me that’s exactly what’s required in a razor blade (given a good razor, the right setting if it’s adjustable, the right angle, light pressure, etc.), but some people find they strongly prefer the Merkur blades or the Derby Extra or the Personna. (WalMart has Personna blades at $1.36 for ten: 14 cents apiece.) Whatever you start with, you’re likely to want to experiment. But you have to start someplace, and the Feathers have been great for me. YMMV—indeed, in this case YMILTV (your mileage is likely to vary).

Thus your best bet is to buy a sampler pack that includes 5 (or 10) of each of the most popular blades: Swedish (Euro) Gillettes, Merkur, Feather, Israeli, and Derby. If only such a thing were available. Wait! It is! LetterK has such packets for sale on Badger & Blade. The price is quite reasonable: 5-each pack (25 blades) is $13.50, 10-each pack (50 blades) is $23.50. Considering the importance of finding the blade that’s right for you, this is the way to go.

You can't tell from this copy, but the text includes links to the appropriate post in B&B for the sampler packs. (My policy on my blog allows external links. :001_smile )

As I mentioned earlier, the "general intro to shaving with DE razor" runs to around 4000 words now. A link to it seems sensible to me. YMMV. But I am chastened and will post no links. I would add that I didn't disregard the request so much as forget. Posting a link instead of copying the info from the link is just natural. YMMV. At any rate: no links.

Leisureguy,

This issue is not one to drag out on the public forums, or onto other forums for that matter. You were given guidance with regards to larger articles. If you still take umbrage with the decision that was made, then you're welcome to continue your dialogue with the moderators. This isn't the venue for that.

-Nick

Yes and no. I for one often use the search function on forums and linking to external resources will not show up as easy in the search results.

I prefer the content of an external link to be copied in the forum just for the completeness sake of the forum. External websites tend to change URL strcucture and content much more, making links to them often become dead.

By placing the content in the forum, you have search capabilities and protect yourself from external website structure changes. It's in the benefit of the community I think.

Top Bottom