What's new

Specific products for cleaning/restoring vintage razor surfaces (a.k.a. which Flitz, etc.)?

I know there are a ton of old threads with information/advice about this already. An issue I've run into looking through them is that frequently a brand is mentioned, but not the specific product. I figured maybe a putting together a thread compiling a list of EXACT products that those on this forum with more experience have found most effective could be helpful to those of us just getting into the vintage razor game.

For example, I'm looking at picking up Flitz to try to clean up a couple of vintage razors. I'm guessing the "Multi-Purpose Polish and Cleaner" is likely what people tend to use. But this also comes in both a paste and a liquid form. Is one preferred over the other?

Another one that came up for me: Scrubbing Bubbles is also commonly mentioned but has several different specific products under the brand, including spray can and squirt bottle versions. Aside from getting a non-bleach product, which version is preferred?

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
These are my go-to products.
1620403585042.jpeg

1620403635374.jpeg

Use Dawn first to clean it up. If you want to do some light polishing, as mentioned above, Flitz paste in the gray tube. Take it easy with the stuff as not too remove too much plating.

Tape your adjustable numbers with plumbers tape to avoid washing them away when using any chemicals.

If you wash away your numbers or they are long gone, just get black semigloss Testors paint. Apply with a toothpick, just blotch it, wait a minute and wipe with a circular motion over the surface with a paper towel. Same type of paint Gillette used back in the day.

Those dental floss sticks with the small brushes work great in crevices.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
When I use it, I use this one.

Flitz.jpg

I noticed in the information sent me with my brass Karve that they recommend for their brass razor Flitz over more abrasive products. I've used Flitz a lot to polish vintage brass razors (most GEM/E-R razors I think). Good stuff.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Don’t use Flitz on that gold. Just stick with a hot Dawn soak.

I agree. Gold requires Dawn. Maybe an ultrasonic cleaner (I've used mine with my Gillette Executive which was in need of an internal cleaning to get things moving).

I wouldn't touch my Executive with Flitz or any polish.

Top Bottom