What's new

Specific Gravity Confusion

Legion

Staff member
Wow! I truly learned something today! Thank you @Legion!

I just ran on my reference stone (my 6x2x0.5 true hard) and my new stone
My true hard had measured 2.63 with LXWXD and 2.62 by my water displacement method. It hit 2.61 with your water displacement method and the only reason there was ANY variation is that my dry weight dropped 1g, the volume was an identical 100g = 100cm*3

So then I measured the new stone, with the claimed SG = 2.5. It came in at 2.55, so even a bit denser than I had expected.

For a final effort I remeasured the true hard. 100g when it was suspended in the water. Then I let the stone settle to the bottom of the container. The scale weight changed to 261, identical to the dry weight. So technically I could have gotten both measurement values within a few seconds simply by first suspending the stone in the water and then by letting it sink to the bottom of the container.

Will definitely use this in the future, much better than the way I had been doing it. I do have to sacrifice a few inches of string, but at least I don’t have to worry about scrubbing the Sharpie mark off the coffee pot!
If you want to be super pedantic, use a loop of thin fishing line. It’s so thin it barely displaces any water, and it doesn’t tangle when wet, like, say, cotton thread.

7F91C397-6CEA-4708-9DED-09B168790B8E.jpeg

A very misunderstood term when referring to honing. Even when used in the Ark/Novaculite family, where the reading may be of some interest, the variances in stone density make it a moot point for most identifications and relying on it in the Black/Trans family is sketchy at best.

The best method to test, IMHO, is just measure LWH and weigh it. So far I don't think I've seen anyone measure the SG on an oil soaked Washita and gotten an realistic reading. The entrapped oil weight would have to be figured in. New from the factory? Now we have a figure to look at.

Like wise the Trans/Black family. A black Ark will most likely show an elevated SG over a Trans just because of high SG impurities that cause it to be Black. Pure Quartz is SG 2.65. Nice, pure, big crystals that caused the Ouchita mountains to be a strategic resource area during WW2. Used as crystals in radios. Some of the most pure Quartz in the world. But we are talking Novaculite, a slightly different creature than crystalline quartz. A Trans SG much above 2.65 would indicate impurities.

There is that mention of Quartzite on Google and they mentioned a SG of 7.2. I don't see many Quartzite hones, my hunch? They are probably too soft and prone to glazing. SG is really not a thing to rely on but can offer some clue's if limitations of the test are taken into account.

A Trans Ark with an SG in the proper range, is a thing to behold when mastered. I relate a high SG, close to or slightly below 2.65 as being very pure and hard.

Splitting hairs. If your SG is in the ball park, every thing will be fine. I worry much more over my bevels than I ever will the stones SG.

I just use the rock that works the best, haven't been wrong yet.
One of my first finishing stones for razors was an old Smith calico hard ark. It has black spots in it that reacts to mineral oil like a black ark from norton or Dan's but the rest is slightly porous but very slightly. I remember this stone giving an amazing edge and I pulled it out today to use at work but never invoice it. I may do a wire up tomorrow. It's sg is 2.58 and I agree that it doesn't equate to fineness at all. The only reliable, sure fire way I've found to rate a stone is rub steel on it. I think that's part of my draw to it all.

This is an interesting point I had not considered before. Dans and other places seem to rate the surgical blacks above a translucent in fineness, but that is often debated. They may be basing the assessment on SG, and whatever makes them black raises the SG...

View attachment 1466222
Generally Dan's will tell you there's not a decernable difference between the two. I've found variations in both but they seem pretty evenly matched if you've got good examples of each. My old Norton translucent slip stone and black slip stone deliver the exact same edge as far as my face can tell. Im very glad i bought several black and trans arks and they've all turned out to be wonderful stones.

My true hard had measured 2.63 with LXWXD and 2.62 by my water displacement method. It hit 2.61 with your water displacement method and the only reason there was ANY variation is that my dry weight dropped 1g, the volume was an identical 100g = 100cm*3

So then I measured the new stone, with the claimed SG = 2.5. It came in at 2.55, so even a bit denser than I had expected.

For a final effort I remeasured the true hard. 100g when it was suspended in the water. Then I let the stone settle to the bottom of the container. The scale weight changed to 261, identical to the dry weight. So technically I could have gotten both measurement values within a few seconds simply by first suspending the stone in the water and then by letting it sink to the bottom of the container.

Will definitely use this in the future, much better than the way I had been doing it. I do have to sacrifice a few inches of string, but at least I don’t have to worry about scrubbing the Sharpie mark off the coffee pot!
My favorite arks all come in around 2.55-2.59, regardless of their looks aside from one enigma. I think it's just had larger bound gains.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Dans and other places seem to rate the surgical blacks above a translucent in fineness, but that is often debated. They may be basing the assessment on SG, and whatever makes them black raises the SG...

This may well be true. My Black Arks somehow seem easier to get a primo edge, but I can get a slightly different, crispy, edge with the Trans than the Black. All things being equal! Lube, lapping, flatness, surface finish, the same razors going back and forth from Trans to Black, in my house, frequently around 2:00 am, with an adult beverage and a killer playlist, over a period of years with no scientific evidence. YMMV Greatly. I feel I have to pay a lot more attention on the Trans. Does the Black Arks high SG impurity aid as a buffer, polisher, softener? I have no idea...

Yep, what @Legion said is both the easiest and most accurate way to measure SG. FWIW though: when I measured the SG of your No.1 Washita in this way, the reading was only .01 or .02 different from what you'd measured it as. Which is basically nothing in the grand scheme of things!

Yup, have always questioned the reliability of the “test” and the condition of the stone.

Translucent can absorb oil, I assume Blacks can also. It takes months to get oil out of vintage translucent, but it comes out. Butterscotch is an oil soaked translucent.

For me old Ark’s work or not and SG is not something I deal with.

For translucents and blacks the difference is going be minimal in the extreme because they have very, very low porosity. Which is the reason it takes so long to get any oil out once it's there. Highly porous Arks/Washitas with loads of oil in them degrease far more quickly than ones with less oil. Easier in, easier out!

Is a spg of 2.7 in the same range as LI's?

It is yep. It'd be at the low end of Idwals - more common for a Charnley ime - but I do have an Idwal under 2.70 too.

Those two stones do look a bit like unusual Idwals, but they're not: the structure and feel is a bit different. I don't know anything quite like them tbh, they could be some kind of Cretan/Turkish, but they're definitely not the normal type.

This is an interesting point I had not considered before. Dans and other places seem to rate the surgical blacks above a translucent in fineness, but that is often debated. They may be basing the assessment on SG, and whatever makes them black raises the SG...
In speaking with Halls back in the day, THEY judged Surgical black as the hardest/finest based exclusively on the fact that they went through more blades cutting them than anything else (including translucent). They also noted that it wasn't even close... I asked how they told "Black" hard ark from "Surgical Black" and they said the material was nothing alike... I forget the numbers they gave, but I think it was something like SB material burned through their saw blades 3-5x faster than hard ark and significantly faster than Translucent.

In speaking with Halls back in the day, THEY judged Surgical black as the hardest/finest based exclusively on the fact that they went through more blades cutting them than anything else (including translucent). They also noted that it wasn't even close... I asked how they told "Black" hard ark from "Surgical Black" and they said the material was nothing alike... I forget the numbers they gave, but I think it was something like SB material burned through their saw blades 3-5x faster than hard ark and significantly faster than Translucent.
Yep - I had the same convo with them. Their black (not surgical) is Dunston stone, a type of Slate.

@Longhaultanker interviewed Dans about their Ultrafine black and Translucent stones and the takeaway was that it's marketing.
My personal take on this is that some SB Arks will be better for some people and some Trans Arks will be better for some other people.

But Specific Gravity though, seems that it's often misunderstood and misused.
I think the term Novaculite is misunderstood often also. That's another story....

And hardness - well, SG has nothing to do with hardness. Lead is SG 11.5 ... not hard though.

People get confused because in one context, a harder Ark with a higher SG is usually going to produce a finer edge.
Like, say, a Washita vs a Translucent.
So some people think oh, a SG of 2.5+ means finer.
No - not in a global sense for all stones all the time.
If I have a Trans Ark that is SG 2.7 and another that is SG 2.5... there is no guarantee that the SG 2.7 Ark is going to be 'finer', the higher SG only means it is more dense.
The actual crystalline makeup of the stone is most important.
Chalcedony, for example, is also crypto/micro crystalline silica, has SG of 2.5, but cannot compete with a Trans Ark as a razor hone.

Legion

Staff member
Yep - I had the same convo with them. Their black (not surgical) is Dunston stone, a type of Slate.

@Longhaultanker interviewed Dans about their Ultrafine black and Translucent stones and the takeaway was that it's marketing.
My personal take on this is that some SB Arks will be better for some people and some Trans Arks will be better for some other people.

But Specific Gravity though, seems that it's often misunderstood and misused.
I think the term Novaculite is misunderstood often also. That's another story....

And hardness - well, SG has nothing to do with hardness. Lead is SG 11.5 ... not hard though.

People get confused because in one context, a harder Ark with a higher SG is usually going to produce a finer edge.
Like, say, a Washita vs a Translucent.
So some people think oh, a SG of 2.5+ means finer.
No - not in a global sense for all stones all the time.
If I have a Trans Ark that is SG 2.7 and another that is SG 2.5... there is no guarantee that the SG 2.7 Ark is going to be 'finer', the higher SG only means it is more dense.
The actual crystalline makeup of the stone is most important.
Chalcedony, for example, is also crypto/micro crystalline silica, has SG of 2.5, but cannot compete with a Trans Ark as a razor hone.
Also, impurities will often raise the SG. That is why surgical blacks often have a slightly higher SG than translucent. Whatever it is in the stone that makes it black also raises the SG a little bit. Doesn't make it harder, and it is actually less "pure".

@Gamma I was unaware that it was iron that made it black, but it makes sense. I grew up on top of a giant iron or deposit, as big as the town I lived in almost. People think of iron or as red rock usually accompanied by lots of red clay but the really pure ore is almost black. I got this one around north Texas where a vein had gotten close to the surface and broken up. The thing feels like molten slash that's hardened. It's destined to become carbon steel and become a knife, but your statement set of a light bulb. Very interesting stuff.
20230807_204842.jpg

I'm sure that more work has been done with the archeologist community taking an interest in tracing novaculite to specific quarries but I don't think that information is on the net.

If we go way back to 1890 and the geological survey of Arkansas they think the black color is probably carbon.
Here on page 135...

The coloring scheme, hematite red, iron black, etc - is a characteristic seen in Cherts - Novaculite is a form of chert. It's referenced in many places but one source I remember offhand is a paper on the Texas Novaculite deposits. Other places included papers or articles written by orgs in Hot Springs, a paper written by Ashley, forget the title but it had to do with outcroppings, and at least one piece by Arkansas Geological. I don't keep footnotes, they're too difficult to organize. Lab analysis done in Russia, checking psd, impurities, etc, also listed Iron for the black sample, it was not present in the translucent sample. I canont recall if carbon showed up in that analysis. In the grand scheme of things I don't suppose any of it matters, my reason for mentioning thiron and hematite was their fairly high SG. Manganese is another impurity associated with novaculite but I can't remember the details, also high SG.

Books from the 'old days' are great but sometimes the info is dated, has been superseded or just dismissed. I've read the Geological Surveys, Griswold's book too. Those writings were enlightening, just like Leske's cabinet was enlightening.

If we go back far enough we find Novaculite classed as Argillaceaus, and not Silaceous.
In the 1890s stones we refer to as Jnats were classed as Slate, today we class as shale.

Top Bottom