What's new

Specific aftershave/lotion recommendation?

I get this may have been discussed in general. I am curious about recommendations for my specific situation, so thank you for humoring me.

As a new DE guy with very stiff beard hair, I don't tend to shave every day. I really like (the to point of almost need) a completely smooth feeling after shaving (even feeling one tiny spot of micro stubble after shaving makes me almost want to shave again). But the sharpness of my regular blade, and slowness of beard growth makes it not worthwhile daily.

I don't use any sort of involved process when I do shave. Mostly it is the same as when I used a cartridge razor (I refuse to give up my barbasol) just a bit slower. I also don't do any sort of pre-shave lotion, wash, rinsing, or anything. As long as my face is wet, I'm good to go.

I mention this because I feel the same way after I'm done: "rinsed all the leftover shaving cream off my face, so I'm done." the problem is that using Feathers (not changing out) I get some irritation after.

Generally I never suffer from dry skin, but the issue is just trying to A) help my skin recover from the irritation, and if possible B) help my skin continue to transition to where it's more used to the process.

I get that their may be "better" ways, but I'm asking for a recommendation that will be as "one and done" as the rest of my shaving is. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I recommend Proraso Red after shave lotion (if you like sandalwood scent).
Proraso-Red-ASL-100ml-Label_2023-04-08.jpg

Available HERE.

An aftershave won't really undo irritation. It can give you a smoother feeling finish and add some moisture so your skin is not dried out after shaving.

You can help avoid irritation with better prep and good technique. You don't need expensive specialized products. Wash your face with warm water and a mild face soap like Neutrogena. Leave your face wet for a couple of minutes before you lather up. Or just shave after a long shower. The idea is to let water penetrate the hair to soften it. You will get a closer shave with less irritation.

Some good alcohol-based aftershaves are Proraso Green and Speick Men. There are many other good ones, though.

Thanks Northern, that is helpful info.

I occasionally do a good face wash in the shower before shaving. And part of the issue is probably related to my being slightly obsessive about feeling as little stubble after shaving as possible.

Now that I think of it, it almost seems like I need to toughen my skin slightly so that these tiny scrapes don't affect me as much. But I will start with a Neutrogena wash.

Now that I think of it, it almost seems like I need to toughen my skin slightly so that these tiny scrapes don't affect me as much. But I will start with a Neutrogena wash.
Don't worry, if you are new at this you will gradually improve your skills with practice. Most everybody gets a bit of irritation when starting out.

I get this may have been discussed in general. I am curious about recommendations for my specific situation, so thank you for humoring me.

As a new DE guy with very stiff beard hair, I don't tend to shave every day. I really like (the to point of almost need) a completely smooth feeling after shaving (even feeling one tiny spot of micro stubble after shaving makes me almost want to shave again). But the sharpness of my regular blade, and slowness of beard growth makes it not worthwhile daily.

I don't use any sort of involved process when I do shave. Mostly it is the same as when I used a cartridge razor (I refuse to give up my barbasol) just a bit slower. I also don't do any sort of pre-shave lotion, wash, rinsing, or anything. As long as my face is wet, I'm good to go.

I mention this because I feel the same way after I'm done: "rinsed all the leftover shaving cream off my face, so I'm done." the problem is that using Feathers (not changing out) I get some irritation after.

Generally I never suffer from dry skin, but the issue is just trying to A) help my skin recover from the irritation, and if possible B) help my skin continue to transition to where it's more used to the process.

I get that their may be "better" ways, but I'm asking for a recommendation that will be as "one and done" as the rest of my shaving is. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Regardless of what you use for shaving. Your skin must be healthy and feel good before a shave. Your skin should feel healthy and good after your shave as well. If your skin is irritated after a shave. Was it the shave or was it the skin prep. We all have different skins and sensitivities. My pre and post, skin preps and conditioning are Critical to a successful shave for me. I have ultra sensitive neck skin. Some shavers need only water and a blade. Some shavers like myself need a lot of skin care pre, during and post shave. We are all different.

An after shave is an excellent way to finish a comfortable shave. It cannot repair damaged skin. If you are new to de I suspect your shave is the reason for the irritation. Are you softening your whiskers enough pre shave? Single use a blade when you have problems with your shave. Have you tried any pre shave products to help your shave soap? Are you familiar with your beard map? Some shavers cannot shave ATG (against the grain) without irritation.

Lastly and most important. A cart razor is not designed nor does it shave like a de razor.
Cart razors have movable heads. De razors do not. Cart razors are designed to be used with a limp moveable wrist as you drag the blades over your whiskers. De razors are to be used with a LOCKED WRIST. Short quick clean strokes. I hope some of the suggestions may improve your comfort. There are many more, your shaves will improve you are in the right place.

My neck used to get irritated when using a yellow plastic razor, so I haven't used one in 40 years. Since getting serious about a good shave, I'm using Arko and whipping it up with an inexpensive badger brush in a bowl. I do 2 passes. Third pass I switch over to Cremo because I can. I find it's important to shave slowly and carefully. Slowly is the key word. Think of the razor like a violin bow lol and hold it with thumb and two fingers. I never press the razor into my skin but let the weight do the cutting. It's a little harder to hold it gingerly shaving against the grain under my chin of course. I listen to the whiskers being shaved off. I go very slowly over my neck. I felt my neck and face a few days after a shave to really learn the directions the whiskers grow in because I was getting nicks from thinking I was shaving with the grain when I wasn't. Both of my jawlines have different growth directions. I started using the Cremo because of the temptation to press the razor in to get the neck really good, but better technique in time will help I'm sure. I may keep the Cremo even once I get good at shaving because it smells good and feels like it provides a good thick cushion. At the end I go over my face with an alum block, which has been a revelation, an epiphany, a miracle lol. Then I use Clubman aftershave. Very frequently I have (almost) no cuts or weepers, but these I go over with the styptic after the alum. Rinse, and no weepers, then aftershave. The Clubman aftershave knocks me out and I can't imagine rotating away from it except maybe to use up my Pinaud Bay Rum sample I've had for 5 years and didn't use due to my hoarding habit. So I'd say 1. go slow 2. use Cremo last 3. use alum and 4. use Clubman. Holy cow it's heaven.

My post-shave routine is pretty minimal but works well for me.

I just rinse thorougly with cold water and then do a couple pats of Aveeno fragrance-free body lotion. Those with acne or similar issues may be best served by something else.

As was mentioned above, if you're getting consistent irritation there is probably something going on with your prep and/or technique. Both of which will likely improve substantially as you gain experience and heed the wise words of this forum's Shave Masters, many of whom have already chimed in with great advice. :thumbup1:

I'd suggest reading through the B&B Wiki on Aftershaves and use that information in context with what you know about your skin condition and environment to aid in selecting initial products to try.

Also, not all aftershaves perform or feel as good depending on the climate you live in or time of day. There are of course exceptions, but if you live in the tropics, then a lotion like balm may feel like you're putting on sun cream and a splash might be more appropriate. Just another aspect to consider.

Generally think:
lotion/balm = heavier/thicker
splash = lighter, thinner

Beyond that are ingredients and determining what you like and/or what doesn't make your skin unhappy.

I'm in a similar boat where I'm looking out into the world of aftershaves and it's overwhelming. Thousands of varieties.

I decided the best course of action would be to buy and try one at a time some from my local stores. Use those to determine what characteristics I like, don't like and whether there are any that are especially great. Then evolve from there and start combing through the internet sources.

Anyhow, good luck and good shaves!

I am a one and done person as well despite having a shaving brush and a few soaps and balms in the cabinet. When I bought my Henson razor my priorities changed to simplifying the whole process. I am a big fan of Blu Atlas shave and after shave, Kiehl’s Ultimate Brushless Cream and Jack Black Beard Lube. I settled on Jack Black because it is a great post shave product as well as giving a shockingly good shave. The scent is mint and eucalyptus. With the ease of the Henson and the flexibility of Jack Black, my shaving routine is about as efficient as humanly possible. One benefit of using a modern cream is that you can see your beard underneath so it’s really hard to miss spots.

Top Bottom