What's new

Spearhead Shaving soaps

Fairly new company out there. Spearhead Shaving co.

They started making soaps and are putting out experimental versions for cheap. I decided to try one of them out.

23 MAR 2020 First Impressions

SOTD 03232020.jpg

Brush: Semogue 830
Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: RPL (1)
Lather: Spearhead shaving 17.2 exp. unscented soap
Post Shave: Stirling WH Tea tree

Soap description
Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Water, Tallow, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Shea Butter, Fragrance, Xylitol, Murumuru Butter, Cupuacu Butter, Jojoba Oil, Lanolin, Agave Tequilana Leaf Extract

Scent Type: Unscented

Net Weight: 4oz

To start off I don't know much about Spearhead shaving but all I know is that they make good-looking razor travel cases and shaving journals. They recently came out with experimental soaps for a great value so I jumped on one (I really didn't need another soap but... why not). I also watched Visceralwatch's review on 17.1 soap so that was a catalyst as well.

Initial impression Soap is in a Chiseled Face-like tub. 4oz, decently sized. The label looks great and I like the little detail on the black section on the bottom. The soap looks white with a bit of yellow hue, like a common tallow soap. It's quite firm and doesn't push in too easily when I poke at it.

Lathering I loaded a wet but not dripping 830 and went in for 30 seconds. I dipped the brush once in water and lather for another 20 seconds. By the end of the 50 seconds, I could tell that this soap is THICK. The addition of butter/jojoba oil that I read from the site came into my mind. I rubbed the excess lather onto my face and I got a fully covered lather already. I painted the lather on my face and the brush was struggling to glide because it was so thick. I added couple drops of water, and more, and more, and more.... I usually end around 5 iterations of water but I ended at 9 and still felt dry. This soap takes in a ton of water. It took me a while to actually shave because I was keep adding water. In the end, I was able to go through a 3 1/2 pass worth of lather with the 830 boar. With a synthetic, I'm guessing one can do a 6 pass shave with this soap.

The Shave went well. The slickness/residual slickness of this soap is great. This thing is dense, voluminous, and creamy in texture. No trouble at all.

Post-shave was great. It's usually one or the other for me: It feels dry or it doesn't. My face felt fine after the shave.

In conclusion, this soap is one of the best I've tried so far. I love thirsty soaps so I could lather on for days with this. Thick, creamy, dense, slick, and everything that I need in a soap. It's fairly hard so it'll last me a while. I can also load less to reduce adding so much water.

To compare, I think this fairs to DG Bison base/Wholly Kaw/Soapy Science soaps. 17.2 soap is one of the thirstiest soaps I tried and it has a good slickness as well. It doesn't have the stretchy glue-like texture but has more of a dense/creamy lather. Compared to Stirling, which is my favorite soaps, it performs similarly but still is much more thirsty. I find hard to compare slickness because a lot of the artisan soaps perform well for me.

I would definitely recommend this soap but unfortunately, there were only 6 batches made and gone now. I would love to see Dennis bring 17.2 back and give others a chance to try this thick lather. Also, shoutout to Lucy, the jr. soapmaker! Thanks for reading.

Top Bottom