What's new

Speakeasy Spirit of the Month: November 08 - Russell's Reserve Rye Whiskey

Welcome to The B&B Speakeasy Spirit of the Month for November 2008!

This month's selection is
Russell's Reserve Rye Whiskey

[imga=left]http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/13441/full[/imga]
Russell's Reserve Rye is a small-batch rye from the master distillers Jimmy and Eddie Russell at Wild Turkey in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. Rye is certainly undergoing a resurgence in popularity, as evidenced by the fact that Russell's Reserve Rye has only been a staple in the WT line for about a year. In that short time, Russell's Reserve Rye has won numerous awards, including a Gold medal from the Beverage Tasting Institute. Russell's Reserve is bottled at 90 proof and aged 6 years. Interested imbibers may be interested in trying its higher-proof, 4-year-old cousin Wild Turkey 101 Rye (which mixes brilliant Rye sours, IMHO).

Curiously, Rye was widely popular throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries in America, but only a few brands survived prohibition. By law, rye mash is made from a majority of rye grain (whereas bourbon is distilled from a majority of corn mash), distilled to a maximum of 160 proof and barrelled at no more than 125 proof. Rye can be easily substituted for Bourbon in most cocktails, and its important to note that the original recipes for many classic cocktails called for rye, however other varities of American whiskey are commonly used nowadays. Its resurgence is sorely deserved -- rye seems to add a peppery twang to otherwise sweet cocktails. Go ahead -- try it against the Rare Breed we tippled on a few months ago. You'll see what I mean.

I've been on quite the rye kick recently, so Tim and Bob basically let me have my way with this month's selection. So, despite it being our second selection from Wild Turkey, I picked my personal favorite rye. To me, I've yet to try another rye that sips so smoothly neat yet still retains the dry, spicy character to make a fantastic Manhattan.

Fortunately, RR Rye is fairly inexpensive ($26 for me in Ohio, and my liquor prices are consistently at the high end) and WT products are usually easy to find. I can't wait to hear your thoughts, gents. Please feel free to use this thread to discuss other rye whiskeys, cigar and food pairings, and cocktail suggestions as well! Cheers!

Suggested cocktails:

Manhattan:
3:1 Rye to sweet red (Italian) vermouth
1-2 dashes Agnostura bitters

[imga=right]http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/14589/full[/imga]Can be shaken, but better tasting (and looking) when stirred and strained into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry. For my sake, I'm careful not to take the stingy, dry martini route when adding the vermouth. Spring for the good stuff (Cinzano or Boissiere for me) and add a full measure.

Rye Sour:
3:2:1 Rye to lemon juice to simple syrup

Garnish with a cherry/orange slice. I personally allow no deviations from what I believe is the perfect sour recipe: Add the ingredients into a shaker without ice, add a tsp of egg white, and shake 4-5x without ice. Then add ice and shake to chill. Strain into a fresh glass (no rocks). Some people don't care for the foam and texture brought on by the egg white, but regardless, mixing the ingredients at room temperature before chilling makes for a much more flavorful and consistent cocktail. And at this point, do I even need to tell you to squeeze a fresh lemon? :wink:

Old-Fashioned:

The traditional way: saturate a sugar cube with agnostura bitters, add a splash of club soda and muddle until dissolved. Drop in ice and fill to top with whiskey.
However, I find simply adding a couple dashes of bitters to 1 measure of simple syrup makes a more consistent drink from first to last sip than using a sugar cube. Garnish with a marachino cherry and an orange slice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know you guys had a spirit of the month. Cool!
I'm used to that on my other (bourbon and such) forum.
Being relatively new to this site, I only just begun to explore what's offered here.

Now, on to the spirit...
Well, I have to say I've tried this one. I was both greatly anticipating a new rye offering from the folks at Wild Turkey, yet equally disappointed upon tasting it. While it's not a bad rye at all, it has this kind of muddled quality. It's not crispy, mildly sweet, and spicy the way I like my straight rye. It almost seems like it wants to be a bourbon.

At our local, monthly whiskey group meeting in the East Bay (you're invited, just PM me!) we speculated this rye was part of a new marketing face of Wild Turkey--to try and get a new generation turned onto whiskey. Check out the Russell's Reserve 10year old bourbon. Neither mention the WT brand name. Both spirits are mild and unlike the typical WT profile.

The new Jim Beam rye called Ri(1) or something--pronounced as "rye one" is another example of this new, modern marketing.

Salut!

That drink sure looks good Pat.

It was... delicious as usual. The Manhattan is, and has always been, my favorite cocktail. And now, living just up the block from Little Italy (the Cleveland approximation) certainly has its benefits re: finding good sweet vermouth. And I'm certainly enjoying this resurgence in the popularity of rye.

Absolutely, how about making one for me? :biggrin:

You got it. That'll be $6.50 + tip. :lol:

I love Manhattans as well. I've always seen the ratio as 2:1 rather than 3:1, however. Guess I'll just have to try both.

I love Manhattans as well. I've always seen the ratio as 2:1 rather than 3:1, however. Guess I'll just have to try both.

The "official" IBA (Intl. Bartender's Assoc.) specified recipe is 5:2. Depending on taste and the sweetness of your vermouth, adjusting by a measure in either direction is perfectly understandable. I think we're both right. :cool:

The "official" IBA (Intl. Bartender's Assoc.) specified recipe is 5:2. Depending on taste and the sweetness of your vermouth, adjusting by a measure in either direction is perfectly understandable. I think we're both right. :cool:

Actually, that may explain why they always seem a bit sweeter at home than when I have them out. I'll have to try your way and the IBA way. Just not the highway, after I've had a few, of course.

However, 5:2 seems complicated. I may need to recalibrate my equipment. . . . :confused:

I make my drinks the same. Only with old fashion I muddle orange and lemon slice.

I also recommend using dry cherries that have been soaked in SoCo overnight. I've tried various homemade cherries, from brandy, to whisky, to creme de violette, and the SoCo ones standout the most.

Well, I was in my local liquor store and could not resist picking this up. haven't tried it yet, but will report back when I do. I've been drinking Sazerac a bit recently, so I'll have something to compare it to.

I happened to be at one of my favorite restaurants in NYC last night, and they had this beauty as their special:

Our Manhattan

russell’s reserve rye, carpano antica,
maraschino liqueur & brandied cherries

It ranked as one of the top 3 cocktails that have passed these lips.

I happened to be at one of my favorite restaurants in NYC last night, and they had this beauty as their special:

Our Manhattan

russell’s reserve rye, carpano antica,
maraschino liqueur & brandied cherries

It ranked as one of the top 3 cocktails that have passed these lips.

You are one lucky man. I've tried, but I've found it practically impossible to get a bottle of Carpano Antica, even with the Italian wine stores down the street from me that stock a well-above-average selection of vermouth.

oh, and one more thing to add. A week or so ago, I tried a rye sour (with Sazerac) with a bit of a twist: I used lime juice instead of lemon juice. It made a very different, and quite delicious, cocktail. It's kind of a combination of a rye sour and a gimlet. Try it, you might like it!

I made a cocktail tonight:

2.5 oz Russell's Reserve Rye
1 oz Cinzano sweet vermouth (there's your 5:2 recipe for those less math-inclined)
2 shakes Angostura bitters
1 maraschino cherry

It was the best Manhattan I've ever made for myself at home, and ranks in the top three I've ever had. It was also one of the first I've made since getting into rye whiskey. I'm going to make one with Sazerac tomorrow to compare.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm curious, how does the Russel's Reserve compare to Templeton Rye? I suppose to answer this question at the moment you'd have to be in Iowa like me, as Templeton Rye is only being sold there at the moment, but I'm still curious. The Templeton was my first go at a Rye Whisky and I found it to be too sweet for my taste. Kind of like a sweet bourbon with the smoothness of an Irish Whiskey. It is a nice drink, though.

I had an interesting chat with the (re)founder of Templeton Rye several weeks ago. The brand will be moving out of Iowa and into the north-central region in the next several years. It represents a quality, locally produced, quintessentially Iowan product. At $34 or so a bottle it's definitely worth a try as well.

Top Bottom