What's new

Speakeasy Aquisitions - August / September 2011

I picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16. Love at first sip! It was a blind buy as I've never had the opportunity to try it other than paying $15-20 for a glass at a bar, which I can't bring myself to do.

I picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16. Love at first sip! It was a blind buy as I've never had the opportunity to try it other than paying $15-20 for a glass at a bar, which I can't bring myself to do.

It's never a bad purchase. It's almost as good now as when it was $45 a bottle.:sad:

I picked up a bottle of 2011 Four Roses Limited Edition Single Barrel and a bottle of Weller Special Reserve at lunch yesterday.

I'm currently on another trip to Lexington Kentucky. On my way I stopped by the Heaven Hill distillery. Unfortunately I was a few minutes late for their last tour of the day, but I did get to join a tasting. The first whiskey we tried was the Evan Williams 10 y/o single barrel. Overall rather disappointing. I like regular evan Williams for mixing or for those rare occasions I want bourbon over ice. The single barrel version was definitely better, but not enough so to really hold it's own with other bourbons in the price point. So while I wouldn't turn down a bottle or a drink from someone I certainly won't be buying it any time soon.

However, the guide then pulled out a bottle of the Elijah Craig 18 y/o single barrel. That was an entirely different experience. Wonderful, deep flavor with nice notes of caramel, vanilla, pepper, and citrus. Extremely smooth for a 90 proof. So of course I had to pick up a bottle while I was there. True to the single barrel nature the bottle I bought is different: a bit less sweet with more pepper and oak than the tested sample. Overall a different experience, but both are/were excellent.

As a side note the town of Bardstown Heaven Hill calls home is a charming and picturesque old town. Beautiful old buildings and a wonderful historic downtown. The missus wasn't particularly interested in the distillery but we had a nice time walking around the town a bit and playing tourist.

Black Maple Hill Premium Small Batch Bourbon Whiskey (750ml)
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Venezuelan Rum (750ml)
Templeton Small Batch Rye Whiskey (750ml)

It was my birthday yesterday and we had a small bash at our place on Saturday. One of my friends brought me a bottle of Dom vintage 2002, which I drank last night. Most splendid.

Auchentoshan 12 year

PAMA - this one is a refill for me, it's basically Pomegranate + Tequila

Choya 23° - Another refill, Japanese Liqueur made from Ume fruit. I was going to try to explain what that is but apparently they have a website now - http://www.choya.com/ Darn, I didn't realize there were other versions of this stuff for me to try! :w00t:

Hmmm, lessee:

Austin Nichols "Russell's Reserve" 6 Year Old Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey (750ml)
Evan Williams Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (750ml)
Martin Miller's London Dry Gin (750ml)
Buffalo Trace Bourbon (750ml)

Big thanks to BigRich for suggesting the EW and BT. Both very nice, and very reasonable.

Hmmm, lessee:

Austin Nichols "Russell's Reserve" 6 Year Old Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey (750ml)
Evan Williams Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (750ml)
Martin Miller's London Dry Gin (750ml)
Buffalo Trace Bourbon (750ml)

Big thanks to BigRich for suggesting the EW and BT. Both very nice, and very reasonable.

Always happy to help:thumbup1:

And it turns out the Evan Williams Single Barrel was barreled on 10/31/01, the same month and day as my father-in-law's birthday. It now looks like one of my two bottles will be gifted, under protest. :lol:

Picked up a few to restock a depleted Scotch cabinet

Springbank 10 yo (rapidly becoming my favorite)
Highland Park 18 yo
Glenmorangie classic 10 yo ( impressive and underrated)
the Balvenie single cask 15 yo
Auchentoshan 10

Ron Zacapa 23
Zaya
Mount Gay XO
Goslings Black Seal
Buffalo Trace
Turkey 101
Hpnotiq - What the hell was I thinking? Just curious I guess... plus, it was steeply discounted. I can see why. Yuck.

It took going to 5 grocery stores, but I finally scored a 6-pack of Uinta's new Baba Black Lager. The tasty similarity to Lev and cheaper price caused it to sell out of most stores in 2 days flat.

Top Bottom