What's new

Spanish Shaving Creams

I spent a couple of weeks in Spain during October and toyed with the idea of picking up some Spanish products while there. Not wanting to haul extra gear, or to hear from my wife, "What? More shaving stuff?"--I decided not to acquire any shaving supplies while there.

Yesterday I bought my Spanish souvenirs from Maggard: Lea, La Toja and Alvarez Gomez, all in shaving cream. I look forward to trying them. Anyone have any recent experience with these products?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
La Toja is AMAZING. I have both the Classic and the Sensitive and they perform at the highest level in my book.

I have LEA and La Toja and both are very good. LEA has a more pedestrian scent, but is slick and protective. Both perform above their price points.

I see comments about Lea and La Toja, all of which are most appreciated. Nothing on Alvarez Gomez? It's relatively pricey, granted, but it must have some users.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I just used my lea yesterday. its average cream but i like it. The as is exceeding mild in scent even when i pour it on. I like la toja too correct me but i dont think its made in spain now? I was intrigued by the special salts but i didn't notice any special magic powers

I see comments about Lea and La Toja, all of which are most appreciated. Nothing on Alvarez Gomez? It's relatively pricey, granted, but it must have some users.

I have this and use it regularly. I find it excellent but the consistency is lumpy and a bowl lather will feel better. Fantastic scent, excellent performance. Let me know how you feel about the consistency but it’s not really a major factor once bowl lathered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding my vote to LEA.

I have the LEA Professional and LEA Classic; I prefer the Pro slightly over the Classic. Great performance and value.

I have the LEA Professional and LEA Classic; I prefer the Pro slightly over the Classic.
Can you please elaborate? How different are the scents and performance? I have LEA Classic and it's probably my favorite cream in a tube, and am wondering if I need the Pro too. The tube is huge, and I don't throw anything away ;-) I also have (and like) LEA Menthol.

Alvarez Gomez is one of the best scented shaving creams I ever smelled. The performance on the other hand was good, but not great. You’ll like it!

Can you please elaborate? How different are the scents and performance? I have LEA Classic and it's probably my favorite cream in a tube, and am wondering if I need the Pro too. The tube is huge, and I don't throw anything away ;-) I also have (and like) LEA Menthol.

LEA Classic has nice sandalwood-y scent and menthol; the 250g Pro is a citrusy cologne scent without menthol. The Pro seems to provide slightly better glide and cushion over the Classic, based on a year of usage comparison. My copy of the Classic in metal tube hardened after only a few months after opening. I can do without menthol in a shaving cream too.

And of course, YMMV :)

LEA Classic has nice sandalwood-y scent and menthol; the 250g Pro is a citrusy cologne scent without menthol.
That's a perfect summary, and tells me I need to get the Pro too. Thanks.
My copy of the Classic in metal tube hardened after only a few months after opening.
My Classic in the metal tube is just as moist as the day I got it about 2 years ago. I just came back from a week in Vegas and LEA Classic was my travel cream. I squirt some into an empty screw top sample container.

La Toja Classic cream is one of my favorites. It has a lot of great moisturizing properties so I like to use it in winter. I also like the classic balm, which is less moisturizing than others yet works great.

La Toja soap stick is one of my favorites for summer, and I've gone through many sticks. I picked up a whole bunch when I was in Lisbon, Portugal earlier this year. Their aftershave splash is my favorite splash but smells nothing like the cream or soap. The La Toja products all have different scents.

La Toja sensitive cream was a bit boring for me, same with sensitive balm. The performance and scent are less than the classic. Lea soap and cream are good performers but nothing special in the scent.

Haven't tried Alvarez Gomez yet but it has great reviews here.

@pbrmhl isn't it a little depressing to see how much cheaper they are there in Spain? I was in the same boat as you with not wanting to haul back lots of stuff so I limited myself to one AS and one soap stick.

@pbrmhl isn't it a little depressing to see how much cheaper they are there in Spain? I was in the same boat as you with not wanting to haul back lots of stuff so I limited myself to one AS and one soap stick.

Agreed, but from what I've read about Europeans paying shipping from the US and VAT, overall it seems States-siders have a better deal...

Agreed, but from what I've read about Europeans paying shipping from the US and VAT, overall it seems States-siders have a better deal...

Interesting thought.

As far as shaving soaps and creams are concerned, I have become hopelessly euro-centric and couldn’t name a single US-made product that I would want to have shipped to where I am stationed (outside of the US).

This can be partly explained by the fact that I no longer feel the urge to try newly released “artisan” products (that in the end only disappoint) and stick nowadays to tried and tested products, or wait until an overwhelming consensus has been reached that this is an excellent product.

I do fully agree though that it is less expensive and less cumbersome to ship items to the US than to have goods shipped from the US to Europe (or Canada).

B.

Top Bottom