What's new

Spanish Leather

I purchased a sampler from T&H...my favorite scent by far is the Spanish Leather...it seems to last longer than the other scents but I'm wondering if there are better Spanish Leathers out there that might last longer?

I'm pretty new to frags but really enjoy C&S Vetiver, T&H Spanish Leather and C&S Lavendar

Any help would be great!

It's been a while since I tried T&H Spanish Leather. But there's been talk here that many off the T&H fragrances are very similar to some designer scents. I think the consensus was that Spanish Leather was very similar to Davidoff Zino. You might want to give Zino a sniff as it's cheaper.

It's been a while since I tried T&H Spanish Leather. But there's been talk here that many off the T&H fragrances are very similar to some designer scents. I think the consensus was that Spanish Leather was very similar to Davidoff Zino. You might want to give Zino a sniff as it's cheaper.

Correct!

GFT Spanish Leath is da biddly bomb. Oh yeah sweet goodness with all day longevity. Could be the best of all time. For some reason I only use it once in a while I guess to have the bottle last. Don't know why it's not THAT expensive:001_tt1:

If you can find a bottle of T&H from 7 or 8 years ago before they reformulated you will have a longer lasting more complex scent. Easy to tell the new from the old as the old version is much darker in colour. It is the longest lasting Spanish Leather by a large margin.

If you want a more robust Spanish Leather that is much heavier on the birch tar, then try Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne.

If you want a more robust Spanish Leather that is much heavier on the birch tar, then try Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne.

To each his own with scent - more so than any other part of shaving. I was in Florence and went to the SMN store specifically to try the leather scent (peau d'espagne). I sprayed some on my wrist and found it so unbearable that I went to a rest room a while later to try to wash it off. The nice thing about it, if you love it, is that the scent is so powerful it doesn't even wash off. I ended up buying a bottle of Knize 10 which I like a lot. Neither smells particularly much like the GFT Spanish Leather shave cream. I've got a tube of that and like it a lot too. I think the best match for it, if a match is what you're after, would be the GFT Spanish Leather cologne or maybe the T&H.

To each his own with scent - more so than any other part of shaving. I was in Florence and went to the SMN store specifically to try the leather scent (peau d'espagne). I sprayed some on my wrist and found it so unbearable that I went to a rest room a while later to try to wash it off. The nice thing about it, if you love it, is that the scent is so powerful it doesn't even wash off. I ended up buying a bottle of Knize 10 which I like a lot. Neither smells particularly much like the GFT Spanish Leather shave cream. I've got a tube of that and like it a lot too. I think the best match for it, if a match is what you're after, would be the GFT Spanish Leather cologne or maybe the T&H.

I agree that Peau d'Espagne is definitely a love it or leave it fragrance. I like it in bracingly cold weather.

Funny how mileage varies. I went to the same SMN store in Florence and tried lots of scents, thinking I would be knocked out by many of them as I was pretty familiar with SMN and a big fan before I went. However, it was only the peau d'espagne that blew me away and lingers in my memory even now. It is one of the very few scents I think about buying an entire bottle of. (I still like other SMN scents. I found the Florence SMN store kind of off putting for some reason. Florence, on the other hand, was something like heaven!)

Funny how mileage varies. I went to the same SMN store in Florence and tried lots of scents, thinking I would be knocked out by many of them as I was pretty familiar with SMN and a big fan before I went. However, it was only the peau d'espagne that blew me away and lingers in my memory even now. It is one of the very few scents I think about buying an entire bottle of. (I still like other SMN scents. I found the Florence SMN store kind of off putting for some reason. Florence, on the other hand, was something like heaven!)

... and yet your handle is "the knize"?

Peau d'Espagne is a masterpiece.

True...when first applied, it smells like a salted ham. But you need to give it 15-20 minutes to develop. Then it becomes an amazing saddle leather/spice/floral concoction that is unmatched. I also enjoy Knize Ten. They are both worth owning.

Not office scents, but when you want to feel like a gentleman, they are both top notch.

lots of great leathers!
include Knize!!

spanish leathers.jpg

GFT Spanish Leath is da biddly bomb. Oh yeah sweet goodness with all day longevity. Could be the best of all time. For some reason I only use it once in a while I guess to have the bottle last. Don't know why it's not THAT expensive:001_tt1:

Agreed. Though I have not had it for a while from what I remember it is like a sweeter John Varvatos (the original John Varvatos edition) though I guess it would be more accurate to say Varvatos is a less sweet GFT Spanish Leather since Varvatos is newer? To me they both smell like Christmas - cinnamon, dates, fir trees, maybe even fruitcake? But SL is MUCH sweeter as I remember...

Top Bottom