What's new

Spam Calls

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have my phone set to silence unknown callers. I have over 500 friends, acquaintances, coworkers, businesses, etc, in my contacts. A lot of work to set up but it’s blissful silence. Anyone that has anything important leaves a voicemail. Most people are living through the same hell so understand. Occasionally a robocall will leave a voicemail but voicemail transcriptions are good enough now that I can tell with a glance if it’s crap.

My mother is of a different generation. She cannot physically restrain herself from
answering a ringing telephone. Before they moved down to live with us I stayed at my parents for a few months. Their old copper landline with the same number they had since 1960 would ring 8-10 times a day and she’d teeter over to it with her cane to answer it. Once a day it was one of her cronies or family member. She refused to move in with us unless we ported her old phone number. I put her on a service where the old number rings her her cellphone. Her mobile provider catches about 25% of the spams/scams. At least she doesn’t have to teeter across the house to answer it.
You are a great son. My wife's mom for various reasons needs to move in with us, but so far is refusing. THANK YOU for the idea about the landline phone number to the cell phone. My mom and my mom in law do find it nearly impossible to not answer the phone. I'm convinced they will break a hip over a robocall. And I will have a new reason to exist. I'll be like the "Equalizer" for those jerks' companies.

Jackson. My wife went to school in Chattanooga. We both really love that state, and the people. My mom's from Kentucky. Toughest folk in the world in the Appalachians.
Well that's where I live, Jackson 2 miles north of I 40 off of exit 80, get in touch with me if you decide to visit.

8/19/1942

Do you know those goofs just reduced my FICO score because I have no consumer debt and haven't for years? Talk about a scam!

I purchase cars so seldom that I try to save up and pay cash for them. However, hearing that installment loans improve your FICO score by demonstrating your ability to pay over time, I decided to purchase one vehicle on credit. I got a low interest loan from a credit union. However, since I had already saved up enough to pay cash for the car, I paid two payments each month to pay off the car in half the length of the loan. My FICO score did go up a few points, but then I decided that I do not really need to take out a loan, so I am not concerned about my FICO score. The primary reason I check my FICO score is to make sure a hacker does not try to get credit under my name.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Jackson. My wife went to school in Chattanooga. We both really love that state, and the people. My mom's from Kentucky. Toughest folk in the world in the Appalachians.
My mom is from Hazard, Kentucky.
Irish and German mining family.

I purchase cars so seldom that I try to save up and pay cash for them. However, hearing that installment loans improve your FICO score by demonstrating your ability to pay over time, I decided to purchase one vehicle on credit. I got a low interest loan from a credit union. However, since I had already saved up enough to pay cash for the car, I paid two payments each month to pay off the car in half the length of the loan. My FICO score did go up a few points, but then I decided that I do not really need to take out a loan, so I am not concerned about my FICO score. The primary reason I check my FICO score is to make sure a hacker does not try to get credit under my name.
I locked my credit with the big three several years back and no longer worry about someone taking credit out in my name. It’s also stopped me from taking out new loans. I weighed the need for the loan against the hassle of unlocking my credit and decided not to take out the loan. I have a Discover Card and an American Express that get paid off every month, two months left on a second mortgage and about $20K left on my first mortgage. My FICO score is 834. The irony is that now that I’ve worked my FICO score to where it is, I could care less. I have the cash to buy a new car if I want, but I’m perfectly happy with my 2002 Ranger and the wife is happy with her 2007 300S. I just don’t need credit anymore.

I locked my credit with the big three several years back and no longer worry about someone taking credit out in my name. It’s also stopped me from taking out new loans. I weighed the need for the loan against the hassle of unlocking my credit and decided not to take out the loan. I have a Discover Card and an American Express that get paid off every month, two months left on a second mortgage and about $20K left on my first mortgage. My FICO score is 834. The irony is that now that I’ve worked my FICO score to where it is, I could care less. I have the cash to buy a new car if I want, but I’m perfectly happy with my 2002 Ranger and the wife is happy with her 2007 300S. I just don’t need credit anymore.

Isn't it ironic that they are eager to lend money to folks who do not need it and they are reluctant to lend money to those who do.
Try to pay off your first and 2nd mortgages. You will be amazed at how free you will feel when your only debt is that of gratitude.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Isn't it ironic that they are eager to lend money to folks who do not need it and they are reluctant to lend money to those who do.
Try to pay off your first and 2nd mortgages. You will be amazed at how free you will feel when your only debt is that of gratitude.
My 21 year old only begotten just bought his first home. Signed the paperwork on his birthday I think? I was out of town. I am still amazed that he didn't need a cosigner, and his rate was so low.

On my 21st birthday......well, let's just say I do not recall breaking any laws....

So everytime we get depressed about the future of the Earth I look at my son's generation. They got some rotten and quite a few not yet ripe apples in the bunch of them, but I think they have potential. ESPECIALLY if they can figure out how to hug a tree with one arm while they werk with the other!

If not, there is always Soylent Green I suppose...

That is the plan. At that point the only expenses I will have are taxes, insurance, gas, water, electric, groceries, auto repair, gasoline and shaving supplies.

They don’t bother me at all. If I don’t have your number in my phone I don’t answer. Simple as that. If it’s an 800 number i block the number right after they hang up. If they leave a VM and it’s spam I block it right after. I just assume anyone else that doesn’t leave a message is spam and they get blocked too.

I get maybe 2 or 3 calls a week.
I pretty much do the same thing, but unfortunately, there are a few medical offices around here that we use and they stupidly have their phones set up as unknown callers. Forcing them to leave a message means I have to go through the procedure of calling them and trying to get through on lines that are usually busy.

That is the plan. At that point the only expenses I will have are taxes, insurance, gas, water, electric, groceries, auto repair, gasoline and shaving supplies.

Being retired during the COVID lockdown, I have only driven my car about 1200 miles over the last year, so auto maintenance and gasoline costs are miniscule. I have spent more on shaving supplies than on my car.

Being retired during the COVID lockdown, I have only driven my car about 1200 miles over the last year, so auto maintenance and gasoline costs are miniscule. I have spent more on shaving supplies than on my car.
I pretty much do the same thing, but unfortunately, there are a few medical offices around here that we use and they stupidly have their phones set up as unknown callers. Forcing them to leave a message means I have to go through the procedure of calling them and trying to get through on lines that are usually busy.

Once you identify their number as legitimate, save the number to your contacts.

I neglected to say that those calls were on my land line which, unfortunately, doesn't allow me that option.

I guess I could do that, but I have 1100 numbers in my contacts now and we service about 4000 job sites.

Top Bottom