What's new

Spalted Hackberry & Shavemac 2 band

20201101_165009.jpg
20201101_165048.jpg
20201101_165216.jpg
20201101_165323.jpg

How is that wood to work with? Is it stabilized? I have cut down quite a few hackberries off my property and often see that spalting but the wood is so soft and pithy feeling I never thought to use it (even in a fireplace). But that handle sure makes me wonder how much nicely figured wood I have thrown in a pile to decompose.

How is that wood to work with? Is it stabilized? I have cut down quite a few hackberries off my property and often see that spalting but the wood is so soft and pithy feeling I never thought to use it (even in a fireplace). But that handle sure makes me wonder how much nicely figured wood I have thrown in a pile to decompose.
Yes it was professionally stabilized...But Sooo soft,and not easy to work with...It was like trying to shape a Nilla Wafer...lol

Yes it was professionally stabilized...But Sooo soft,and not easy to work with...It was like trying to shape a Nilla Wafer...lol

Absolutely beautiful! Your shape is unique and I really like it. But... if it turned like a wafer I’d question the stabilizing process. When properly stabilized any wood turns good, no soft spots or punky areas at all.

Top Bottom