What's new

SP 101 Match Champion Grips.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
They do look great! And I know how the stipple feels, fairly aggressive. Looks good AND you'll be able to hang on.

AA

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Very nice, so you trimmed the pin?

Yes, they sent one with the grips, so I still have the original if I want to ever put those back on. I did notice the pin inside the original handle that holds the spring during disassembly was not there though. Thats not a huge deal as I am sure I can get that pretty easy.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Now you just need the Meprolite tritium dot front blade and a Wolff Gunsprings trigger job ... :lol: Mine has been a whole 'nother gun ever since. (ahem) with total thanks to the various forum SP-101 enablers who suggested it.

AA

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I need to revisit the 101. Years ago I checked one out, but preferred the cylinder release on the S&W. Pulled the trigger on neither. Now I have the .357 bug again, and S&W are a little harder to find (especially at the big box places).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I prefer a S&W cylinder latch, but upon getting my SP101, in actual use it became a non issue.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Now you just need the Meprolite tritium dot front blade and a Wolff Gunsprings trigger job ... :lol: Mine has been a whole 'nother gun ever since. (ahem) with total thanks to the various forum SP-101 enablers who suggested it.

Did you do that sight yourself Mike? If so was it hard to put on?

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes, with some encouragement from @shoelessjoe and a couple videos.

20201020_145022.jpg

20201020_145037.jpg

Aa

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I got to checkout and hold a Kimber K6s 3" in .357 yesterday at Cabela's. It's pretty much the same size dimensions as the Ruger SP101 but not nearly as heavy. It was a pretty pistol for sure and it's trigger and action was probably the best stock action on a revolver I have ever had the privilege to hold on too.

But I could just tell and feel with it's lightweight, that full power .357 loads would be a bear to shoot with it. I like that my SP101 is small and compact, but it's weight will absorb and handle any full power stuff you feed it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I got to checkout and hold a Kimber K6s 3" in .357 yesterday at Cabela's. It's pretty much the same size dimensions as the Ruger SP101 but not nearly as heavy. It was a pretty pistol for sure and it's trigger and action was probably the best stock action on a revolver I have ever had the privilege to hold on too.

But I could just tell and feel with it's lightweight, that full power .357 loads would be a bear to shoot with it. I like that my SP101 is small and compact, but it's weight will absorb and handle any full power stuff you feed it.

They are mighty guns.

I noticed last week my reloads were probably more like +P reloads. Might been scooping 4.2-4.3 grains of Red Dot instead 4.0-4.1. Alas; the heavy metal music when reloading contributed. :devil:

But SP-101 thrives on such chow and I was glad for the Hogue rubber grips, too. Shock absorbers, though kinda ugly and common. I read that wood grips don't print as much as rubber, hmmm.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

As you get older :biggrin1: you may wish to look at something lighter to carry. Try the Buffalo Bore .38 Spl. F.B.I. load in the 101 and see if it's better and you think it may work in an about 20 oz. revolver. I do love a 3" barrel. A .357 does NOT belong in an S&W airweight snub, but the Kimber looks to be about the same weight as an old Dick Special in .38. My 14 oz. Cobra is a handful with BB .38 F.B.I. loads.

OkieStubble

They are mighty guns.

I noticed last week my reloads were probably more like +P reloads. Might been scooping 4.2-4.3 grains of Red Dot instead 4.0-4.1. Alas; the heavy metal music when reloading contributed. :devil:

But SP-101 thrives on such chow and I was glad for the Hogue rubber grips, too. Shock absorbers, though kinda ugly and common. I read that wood grips don't print as much as rubber, hmmm.

AA

I'm a Glock guy. I think ugly and common is a sign of beauty. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm a Glock guy. I think ugly and common is a sign of beauty. :)

True of a Glock, but revolvers are art and beauty ... even chunky little SP-101.

"I spent an hour trying to change the grips on my G19 ... I tell ya, I get no respect... " R. Dangerfield's shade.

AA

OkieStubble

As you get older :biggrin1: you may wish to look at something lighter to carry. Try the Buffalo Bore .38 Spl. F.B.I. load in the 101 and see if it's better and you think it may work in an about 20 oz. revolver. I do love a 3" barrel. A .357 does NOT belong in an S&W airweight snub, but the Kimber looks to be about the same weight as an old Dick Special in .38. My 14 oz. Cobra is a handful with BB .38 F.B.I. loads.

I think if/and/or when I get too old or not in shape enough to carry my SP101, I would really like to have a Chiefs or Dick's Special. Maybe even two, with two small leather holsters on my belt over my back pockets. That way I could go Yosemite Sam on someone's *** if I needed too. :)

Top Bottom