What's new

Soviet Super Adjustable Knock-off

Hey Gents,

As I posted earlier today, My favorite shave comes from my 1970 Gillette Super Adjustable. Well, I found a Soviet look-alike on E-Bay that I ordered last night. The seller thinks that it was made around 1970, but because of the plastic base plate, I'm thinking that it was made closer to 1980. Who knows though? Maybe the Pinkos gave Gillette the idea. I have been bordering RAD lately, but at just under $30.00 including shipping, I just had to pick it up. Can't wait to check it out!! Here are some pics:

$RUSSIAN1.JPG$RUSSIAN2.jpg$RUSSIAN3.jpg$RUSSIAN4.jpg$RUSSIAN5.jpg

There was a bunch of those NOS razors on ebay like a year and a half or so ago. Couple members picked them up just to check it out. 3/4 of the ones they got had some uneven blade gap issues or silo doors that seems to have a slight rattle to them. They all thought it was an interesting piece to have in the collection, and the ones that didn't have any issues out of the box reported to be an OK shave.

Yeah, it's just an interesting conversation piece. I can't shave with anything but a vintage Gillette. Doing so makes me feel like I'm cheating on my wife.

I have something very similar if not the same (it was NIB), called "Ideal" by the seller, all printed stuff (box, instructions) is in Cyrillic letters. I had to file/grind off a bit of the out of shape adjusting post in order the opening/closing doors did not touch anymore the blade edges. It shaves nicely on setting 9, the rest of the settings are useless to me. But I heard the original Super Adjustable would also be on the super-mild side (don't have one).

I can't shave with anything but a vintage Gillette. Doing so makes me feel like I'm cheating on my wife.
:blink: :lol:

This would make my shaving world way too small!

I have something very similar if not the same (it was NIB), called "Ideal" by the seller, all printed stuff (box, instructions) is in Cyrillic letters. I had to file/grind off a bit of the out of shape adjusting post in order the opening/closing doors did not touch anymore the blade edges. It shaves nicely on setting 9, the rest of the settings are useless to me. But I heard the original Super Adjustable would also be on the super-mild side (don't have one).

:blink: :lol:

This would make my shaving world way too small!

For fear of hijacking the thread, I'll add this in... lol The Gillette Super Adjustable isn't super mild on settings 5 or 6 and up, but is very mild on the lower ones. Course, I guess that is sort of what it was made to be. lol

For fear of hijacking the thread, I'll add this in... lol The Gillette Super Adjustable isn't super mild on settings 5 or 6 and up, <snip>
Good to hear that. So I don't have to discard the Super adjustable on my hunting list. :001_rolle

To get back on track and comparing setting 9 of my Russian adjustable to a razor I know, this is about the same as setting 6 of my Fatboy which I prefer to use on setting 8.

Good to hear that. So I don't have to discard the Super adjustable on my hunting list. :001_rolle

To get back on track and comparing setting 9 of my Russian adjustable to a razor I know, this is about the same as setting 6 of my Fatboy which I prefer to use on setting 8.

Makes me wonder if they tweaked the settings on the Russian version then, or if that is just the result of the less than optimal manufacturing they did at that point on their consumer goods.

They have been cranking these out again,but not at the old tank factory where the originals were made.I bought one of the originals,probably 70's vintage,no rattles or misalignments on mine,shaves good on 8-9....

Top Bottom