What's new

SOUTHERN WITCHCRAFTS

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
So I'm currently using (and in love with) Soap Commander's "Integrity" (unscented) shaving soap.

This works fantastic with their (unscented) Integrity Balm, which I am loving.

I use the latter on days when I work and use cologne. (I hate competing with aftershave and deodorant smells. Ridiculous, and smells cheap as heck). Just my opinion. Don't hate me.

And for days when I am not working (and not using cologne), I fell in love with Captain's Choice Nor'Easter Soap and Balm. (So fresh and clean smelling). No funky fruit or vegetable smells!

Both of these soaps and balms are pretty incredible. They both lather great,. And their balms are different, but yet highly effective for my face. (No greasy feeling, and still moisturized a few hours later).

Anyhoo...I came across SOUTHERN WITCHCRAFTS shaving soaps recently. And the names of their scents has my head spinning, trying to understand what they smell like by their descriptions.

I am a home-brewer. And I love dark, and complex, porters and stouts. And the complexity of the description of their scents has me soooooooo curious.

I'm always game to try something new for my "days with no cologne"...so I recently purchased their $18.00 sample pack.

Lets see what happens.

I wonder if anyone has considered passing along shave soap sample packs they have not used, or liked?

I don't know if peeps will frown upon a sample soap which has a fingertip of it removed for sampling.

I know I have a few that either I never used because I did not like the smell. Or others that I used a fingertips-worth in my lathering bowl, that was not to my liking.

Anyhoo...lets see about Southern Witchcrafts samples.

I consider them one of the top vegan soap manufacturers. Great slickness while shaving and great post-shave feel. Their aftershave splash is also quite nice.

Their scents are love-or-hate, no middle ground. I have Carpathia and I like it, but it took a couple of shaves to grow on me. I'm interested to hear your reviews.

I’ve used a few of their soaps and have really enjoyed em. First off they work. Lather and that blah blah blah.. for a vegan soap they’re top of the chart and such.
The scents are the kickers. Very interesting and well blended. It is a good idea to grab a sample to take em for a spin first but!!!! Do take into account that what you might not like at first can grow on ya. Anywho. Good luck and I hope you got a sample of Druantia, Tres Matres and Lycanthropy. My three favorite of theirs.

Their scents are love-or-hate, no middle ground. I have Carpathia and I like it, but it took a couple of shaves to grow on me. I'm interested to hear your reviews.

Since they were the Soap du Jour, I ordered the sample soap package to see what the hype was about.

I may be shunned by many here since these scents do seem so popular, but I have to say, I am really not a fan of most of them. Jury is out on a couple... and I have to say, Autumn Ash really does smell like the outdoors in the fall. Really interesting scent, and one of the ones I want to try.

We'll see if they grow on me as well... but for the most part, they aren't my bag.

Since they were the Soap du Jour, I ordered the sample soap package to see what the hype was about.

I may be shunned by many here since these scents do seem so popular, but I have to say, I am really not a fan of most of them. Jury is out on a couple... and I have to say, Autumn Ash really does smell like the outdoors in the fall. Really interesting scent, and one of the ones I want to try.

We'll see if they grow on me as well... but for the most part, they aren't my bag.

Autumn Ash does sound interesting, but I'll wait until fall to get it. They don't seem to have many/any light, summer scents. Carpathia has been put in storage until the weather cools off.

New to me, and I've run through the first half-dozen in a week, but very impressed with the performance of their soaps. And I have not been historically impressed with vegan soaps. And their aftershaves are unique - probably closest in my experience are Tallow+Steel's - alcohol-free, relatively thin application and very protective, but leave an aloe film that some might not favor (although I actually like the hydration, very similar toThayers). I do get that fragrances are very individual and subjective. Probably as much as in the "what's the best blade?" threads. :001_smile SW's fragrances, to me, don't draw as sharp a line as many I've used - out of a hundred users, I'm guessing you won't find an equal number of "I could wear that" and "Not on my dog" (and I'm actually in the "I could wear that" crowd) for B&M's Roam. But because of the complexities of SW's fragrances, I can see equal divergence in "delighted" and "not so much," although I really like all I've tried. Good to have choices in the wide shaving world, and I'm happy to have discovered this one.

I got a sample of of alchemist and really liked it. Which are considered spring/summer scents from their line?

Of those I've tried so far, I would put Lycanthropy, Tres Matres and maybe Pomona in the warm weather class of fragrances, with Carmilla sort of on the edge, although there's broad latitude for interpretation there. They don't really have (from what I've tried) a true "green" or strictly "floral" fougere, but their Fall fragrances (Samhain and Autumn Ash are good examples) are really distinct as cool weather scents.

Sahmain is an incredible scent. Also like Druantia as well. And the performance is phenomenal.

My first experience with Autumn Ash was very interesting. My face made looks that I was unaware was possible. The scent was very offputting at first. But I kept smelling it periodically and finally got around to lathering it. Somehow (still not sure to this day), it grew on me and I ended up enjoying it. Not saying it is my favorite, but it is one of my favorite lessons on my personal journey to keep an open mind on things that are not fall in love at first whiff category. If dark and smoky is your thing, then AA may be for you.

Sahmain is an incredible scent. Also like Druantia as well. And the performance is phenomenal.

My first experience with Autumn Ash was very interesting. My face made looks that I was unaware was possible. The scent was very offputting at first. But I kept smelling it periodically and finally got around to lathering it. Somehow (still not sure to this day), it grew on me and I ended up enjoying it. Not saying it is my favorite, but it is one of my favorite lessons on my personal journey to keep an open mind on things that are not fall in love at first whiff category. If dark and smoky is your thing, then AA may be for you.

Same experience for me with B&M's Sunny Lane. We still have an uneasy truce, three shaves in, but first blush was "Maybe they mistook Used Athletic Clothing for a walk along a Summer path." :001_rolle Have since mellowed, and performance is excellent with the new Excelsior base, but not the first soap I pull off the shelf in a normal rotation....

Southern Witchcrafts has a great soap base. Samples are highly recommended as their scents are a bit polorizing but complex and well done IMO. If you find a scent you like you should check out their EDTS.

As far as a sample swap, there was a pass around box going by Dfoulk but not sure if it is still going in these crazy times. There is also a Sample Library at another forum (PM if more info is needed) where you send soap samples in and trade with ones on the list. Its a great idea as a sample is enough to give you an idea if a full tub is necessary or not, plus people can make samples of soaps that are usually not offered in samples.

I had samples of Alchemist and Pomona.

The Alchemist had a smoky floral smell to it in the container, but once I lathered it in my bowl, it smelled just like the Pomona - a bowl of potpourri - not my thing, but of course YMMV.

As everyone says, the lather was excellent but I couldn't get over the smell. I ended up giving both samples to my brother after only one use.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
I’ve noticed that the (concentrated?) smell from the container, and the actual smell after it’s been lathered and used on the face, can be different.

It’s the same with cologne.

Fragrances react with your body smells, and can be different for every person once applied and used.

I have not received my samples yet, but my mind is still spinning about what they will smell like.

Anxiously waiting to try them...even if I don’t originally like the scents in their containers.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Drats!

I never received my samples, so I called SW to check on my order.

Seems there was a mistake on my end.

I ordered a few items on the same day I ordered the SW samples, and all were paid via PayPal.

Well...when PayPal sent me a bunch of confirmations, I ASSUMED one was for the SW samples.

I was wrong.

Evidently I never pushed the correct buttons, so the order was not made.

Anyhoo...I’ve since reordered the samples, and will get back to y’all with my opinions.

Top Bottom