What's new

Southern Witchcrafts Samhain

If there is a "dark" scent in Southern Witchcrafts' lineup, this may be it, although my description would still be "warm.` Samhain (Celtic pronunciation SAW-wan) is one fragrance I would definitely describe as seasonal (the grinning jack-o'-lantern on the label is a clue) - cool Fall days, cold Winter wind, roaring fires of oak logs, a walk in the woods with damp leaves on the forest floor, maybe a pipe of Cavendish in the den with a Hot Toddy in hand.... It evokes memories of the end of Summer and the beginning of Fall (SW's intended purpose I think, and the meaning of Samhain in the Celtic calendar). You could wear it in Summer (and I obviously am), but you will smell of Autumn, unmistakably. And in a very good way. A vegan soap, performance is outstanding as ever, and the AS complements.

Scent notes. SW describes notes of: "bourbon, tobacco, pumpkin, sandalwood, nutmeg, oud, incense, amber, vanilla, hazelnut, charred wood, musk." And I don't doubt it's all of those. My sense, on opening and using, is the description on the label - pumpkin, sandalwood, bourbon and tobacco. All in equal parts overlapping and mingled, so hard to distinguish between them, but all there. It's definitely not the tobacco of Stirling's Haverford, or A&E's Choco Cubano, but subtle, sweet, and in the background. And it's not an extremely sandalwood-y scent, like GFT's Sandalwood, but more of a muted, spicy, woody note. Nor is it a boozy bourbon, but more of an oak-cask memory of bourbon. And pumpkin is there, a hint of carving a jack-o-jantern, but not dominating and again just a hint. All combined and blended so well it's difficult to define, but overall a sense of Fall and Winter evenings indoors, by a warm fire in a cozy log cabin. I'll be using it again at the first sign of cool weather.

20200501_172703.jpg

Love that soap and A/S. I have six of their soaps & aftershaves. Only brand I have been buying. Carpathia has kinda of a darkish scent as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a tub of this and some some other samples on the way.
This has been on my watch list for many months now and the label art is top notch!

Top Bottom