What's new

Southern Witchcrafts New Formula

I had the great pleasure of trying the new formula the other day. I didn’t even notice it was veggie- shiny, slick, incredibly protective and the scents are their usual wonderful and uniquely complex (although I haven’t tried their simpler scent line which is also new). I actually didn’t even need moisturizer follow up- incredible experience. Highly recommended.

Thank you @SoullessSingularity for the great review. I noticed Maggards Razors has recently brought the Southern Witchcrafts soap and among them there was this "Incorporeal Vegan" version that caught my attention. I'm going to contact the soap-maker to see if that is the new formula, the reviews on Etsy are positive too.

Thank you @SoullessSingularity for the great review. I noticed Maggards Razors has recently brought the Southern Witchcrafts soap and among them there was this "Incorporeal Vegan" version that caught my attention. I'm going to contact the soap-maker to see if that is the new formula, the reviews on Etsy are positive too.
From what I understand all southern witchcrafts soaps are now new formula. They did a big relaunch a few weeks ago revamping label + formula.

The Sandalwood scent is one of the best. It has that natural, traditional 'woody' note, plus just an ever so slight cologne scent in there to make it a little sweeter than say the Prorasso red. Its perfect for me, I don't like a lot of sandalwood scents too much (while great performers, the 3 T's, AOS are too perfumed and fake smelling, and Stirling is to synthetic!).

This is now a favorite of mine, and the lather is on a par with DG, GD and WK. Easily.

Sadly, people are so much into DG, WK, GD, T&S, B &M and the like that very few comment on new artisans such as Southern Witchcrafts and Siliski soaps.

Southern Witchcrafts newer vegan soap base is very good. Their scents are distinct and unique, really like Autumn Ash and is the only one I have tried so far (also have samples of Necromantik, and Alchemy) and plan on trying the others soon. So far have been impressed with their soap base.

I'm using the old formula Nekromantik as part of my fixed four for this month. I have that one and Lycanthropy and love both scents, but Nekromantik seems more of an autumn/winter scent to me.

Performance is pretty good. Not enough to break the elite tier for me unfortunately. I purchased the complete set of the Alchemist scent theme. Regret it so. The scent was more wet dirt or earthy like with a strange elemental vibe. Like those chemistry lab sessions back in high school. A definite pif on this one. For those that like an earthy scent, this just might fit the bill. It’s an acquired taste, trust me. I actually like the grapefruit and necromantic samples that I received. But, I’m afraid I won’t be a repeat customer for their products as there are better performers out there with nicer scents to boot. Not saying it’s bad or hating on it, just not for me....

22B16A11-9B5B-4112-8386-3CFF5102B7AB.jpeg

Being newish, I am still trying to find my go to soap. I await some if the reviews on these to hopefully help me find something that suits me best.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm reading about these soaps more and more. I didnt know Maggard stocked them, but I'm glad they do. I order from there often.

The Sandalwood scent is one of the best. It has that natural, traditional 'woody' note, plus just an ever so slight cologne scent in there to make it a little sweeter than say the Prorasso red. Its perfect for me, I don't like a lot of sandalwood scents too much (while great performers, the 3 T's, AOS are too perfumed and fake smelling, and Stirling is to synthetic!).

This is now a favorite of mine, and the lather is on a par with DG, GD and WK. Easily.

I'm happy to read this. Sandalwood is my next scent slot to fill.

How hard are these soaps? About the same as WK or harder, softer?

I've ordered an Alchemist sample from Maggard recently and tried it today. At first I was very disappointed with the scent from the jar. It was very musty, damp, fungal, earthy on my nose. It was like I was in the old basement.
BUT! Once I've actually lathered it the scent changed very quickly. It became much more pleasant and different. I could smell some flowers and finally bergamot and other things I can't describe. Must & earthy notes went to the back and became a nice addition instead.
I've never tried old formula before, but I've read some old review on the other thread here. It was noted it was a pretty hard croap. But the sample I got (most likely due to formula change) was very soft instead. I've had a tons of Maggard sample jars of various soaps and I know how much I take to load. This one required pretty much soap to load my synthetic brush compared to other soaps.
But it lathered really well. Good and slick lather. Performance was very good. I'd given this soap a 8/10 on performance rating. Only some of the top rated tallow based soaps (DG, WK, B&M Reserve, etc) could outperform it imo.
Post-shave it was on average for me. I've had a slight dry feeling which I usually get from the most of soaps except for some. Balm fixes this but I feel slightly better from tallow based soaps with lanolin addition.
Overall it's a very good soap for a vegan base. With a very unique scent which does changes significantly once lathered, so don't try to judge it from the jar.

I'm happy to read this. Sandalwood is my next scent slot to fill.

I'm in the same boat. I love the scent of Proraso Red (Red is my favorite amongst the Proraso regular line) and I'm looking for a better performer with a scent in the same ballpark (and possibly stronger).
I've ordered both the Captain's Choice Sandalwood and The S. Witchcraft Sandalwood samples from Maggards. Too bad I will receive them in 2019, blame it to the turtles-powered post service.
Another interesting candidate could be Oleo Sandalumo but Maggards doesn't carry Oleo samples.

I'm in the same boat. I love the scent of Proraso Red (Red is my favorite amongst the Proraso regular line) and I'm looking for a better performer with a scent in the same ballpark (and possibly stronger).
I've ordered both the Captain's Choice Sandalwood and The S. Witchcraft Sandalwood samples from Maggards. Too bad I will receive them in 2019, blame it to the turtles-powered post service.
Another interesting candidate could be Oleo Sandalumo but Maggards doesn't carry Oleo samples.

Proraso Red is a pretty strong sandalwood scent IMO that smells wonderful . CC Sandalwood is not very strong to my nose, has a more woodsy type of scent. SW scent is a bit stronger than the CC.

If you like sandalwood incense type scents you may want to check out:

PAA Sangre De Drago
Soap Smooth Frankincense & Myrrh
Or perhaps Mystic Water Egyptian Dragon

For musty type sandalwood: Fine Santal Absolut, AOS Tallow Sandalwood

Sweet sandalwood: Cooper & French- Sandalwood & Amber is king of this category IMO.

I used their unscented version today and was very impressed with the slick lather. This vegan version is a winner.

Picked up Druantia soap and A/S and a couple of samples as Maggard Razors was having a nice 6th anniversary sale

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Which one out of 'Alchemist', 'Necromantic' and 'Lyncanthropy' would any of you suggest, to someone who likes Druantia over Autumn Ash?

Top Bottom