What's new

South African shaving soaps

Hey guys, so im a relatively new wet shaver, and i was struggling to find shaving soaps in South Africa, and i was surprised to find plenty of local ones, which are actually great! Have any of you given any a try?

Please name - or better still, show some pics of these local soaps and their packaging. I would be interested since I am also in SA although I always buy my stocks when I travel! in terms or global brands, there is little on offer in SA with the exception of the superb Tabac soap and also Proraso in some mainstream retailers. Other soaps found locally include Pinaud Clubman and some speciality stores in Cape Town carry the outstanding Truefitt and Hill. Anyone found other global brands in SA stores?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get the bundu baard shaving soap and then Rietzers perfect shave soap, there are others but those are the main ones, you also get wriggly tin soap, google river valley training, theyre the best supplier of local shaving soaps, to get the bundu baard, go on their website.

Yes please, post some pictures, we have never seen creams or soaps from South Africa...The South African matchstick factory make LION razor blades , but sadly they are terrible, eclipsed in poor quality only by all current Czech Blade Co. blades and MEM blades from Serbia...
lionhead.jpg

Heres an example of a few, the epiwash is a multi purpose face wash, but on the box it states it can be used for shaving and works well if you lather correctly

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-02-03-02-50-194_fi.android.takealot.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-02-03-02-50-194_fi.android.takealot.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20190126_090021.jpg
    IMG_20190126_090021.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0278_13ad53c4-8a83-40b3-ac18-1a6e650b254b_large.jpeg
    IMG_0278_13ad53c4-8a83-40b3-ac18-1a6e650b254b_large.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 61
Yes please, post some pictures, we have never seen creams or soaps from South Africa...The South African matchstick factory make LION razor blades , but sadly they are terrible, eclipsed in poor quality only by all current Czech Blade Co. blades and MEM blades from Serbia...View attachment 948940
I'm Aware, i started with a lion razor and blades in August last year, and then upgraded to a aristocrat and got a fatip piccolo in a PIF, along with nice soaps and new blades to try out, you'll see above i mentioned names of three soaps and posted photos of each, the epiwash is easily found at dischem branches as ia the Rietzers but the Rietzer is cheaper from takealot.com

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

When I opened this thread I expected it to be about the goods offered by the Old'e English Shaving shop but was pleasantly surprised.

Post on!

Chris

When I opened this thread I expected it to be about the goods offered by the Old'e English Shaving shop but was pleasantly surprised.

Post on!

Chris
Im surprised people didnt know there are South African made shaving soaps, im on another forum called mastershave, and they're all the rage there, even with a guy that lives in Canada!

I have some of bundu’s soaps, sandalwood and coffee. They lather quick IMO but I also use a Omega synthetic brush for this. The soap holds water well and shaves great. I also like using glycerin soap and mix in sandalwood or tea tree oils on the fly. It’s a low pH soap that attracts moisture into the skin and whiskers, it’s also dirt cheap!

I finally received something from South Africa. A vintage Williams stick - I’ll give it a go one of these days.

Rick
The South African Williams stick was just discontinued only a few years ago..It was very very close to the Williams I used in the 1960's , a really top notch stick, even had the old rose scent in it. I have one stick, and I wish I could have bought a case of these S.A. Williams sticks , they are really fantastic lather makers.
williams-shave-stick-south-africa.jpg

I wonder if there is an online vendor to buy south south african supplies.
And also I wonder which supplies exist and are good...

The South African Williams stick was just discontinued only a few years ago..It was very very close to the Williams I used in the 1960's , a really top notch stick, even had the old rose scent in it. I have one stick, and I wish I could have bought a case of these S.A. Williams sticks , they are really fantastic lather makers.View attachment 1007587

It’s very rosy scented and not in a very pleasant way. I’m going to use it tomorrow for the first time and if I’m not happy with the results I may have to sterilize it and PIF it away.

Rick

Im surprised people didnt know there are South African made shaving soaps, im on another forum called mastershave, and they're all the rage there, even with a guy that lives in Canada!

A guy in Canada? Who is he and how does he come to know about South African soaps? Could it be he’s a South African living in Canada? :)

Rick

Top Bottom