What's new

Sous Vide

7lb brisket. Marinated in Dr Pepper, dried it off and then pepper corn and kosher salt and in the bath at 155F for 24-30hours

Attachments

• 15351553546951680254602630920664.jpg
    15351553546951680254602630920664.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
How'd the final product turn out?

Let it sit overnight in the fridge and spiced it this am, goes on the grill in about 20mins for a couple hours

This will be my 2nd time trying it sous vide, first time I put it on the grill right after it came out of the bath and it was dry. This time I did I like I do prime rib with letting it sit overnight in the fridge before the grill. If it comes out dry again I might just stick with doing it entirely on the Keg, just sucks having to get up at 4 or 5am to start the charcoal.

Attachments

• 15353075535298021124114686821908.jpg
    15353075535298021124114686821908.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Was very juicy and tender but I felt was a bit fatty. If I do it sous vide again I'll try a flat.

Attachments

• 20180826_161937.jpg
    20180826_161937.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 20180826_164722.jpg
    20180826_164722.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
90mins @ 129F and finished over hot charcoal. Didnt let the Keg get heatsoaked enough for perfect grill marks, but tasted great

Attachments

• 20180520_181002.jpg
    20180520_181002.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
Turn out pretty good

Attachments

• 20180929_173605.jpg
    20180929_173605.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20180929_173825.jpg
    20180929_173825.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 15

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Does anyone have any current recommendations for a sous vide wand? Mine died a few days ago.

Wow, I have missed a lot of good posts in this thread. I am not sure how that happened!

i do not have a recommendation for a wand. I am not at home as I write this so I cannot check the brand name of what I have. It was whatever Costco had for around $100 and it seems fine. Seems to reach and hold a temperature--confirmed by insta-read thermometer. But Costco on-line does not seem to have anything right now. Not sure I needed blue tooth controls for it. It might have wi-fi controls even.

Every time I see this thread I think of my granddaughter who calls meat cooked via Sous Vide as "water meat."

I recently had some family visiting from out of town. They're serious steak lovers, so I went to Costco and purchased 4 large/thick Premium Ribeyes with some very nice marbling. Price was about $15 per/lb

I cooked 3 of the steaks on my Kamado grill (hot and fast, per my usual grilling method) and I cooked 1 of the steaks Sous Vide for 1.5 hours at 130F... only seasoned with salt and pepper. I threw the Sous Vide steak in a cast iron pan for just 2 quick minutes at the end, just to get some nice sear/color on the outside. All steaks rested for 10 minutes prior to being cut into.

All 4 people unanimously preferred the Sous Vide Steak by a wide margin. It was juicer, more tender and noticeably more flavorful.

They were beyond surprised with the results... I was not.

Thanks for the report Bad Badger. I have considered trying to conduct a similar "objective" test. but have never gotten around to it.
They were beyond surprised with the results... I was not.

I would not have been either.

I was skeptical when I started doing sous vide steaks. (I came to sous vide when I had the best pork chop I had ever had at a restaurant that had prepared it via sous vide. But steak, and the lack of need to bring the inside of a steak to a relatively high temperature, made pork seem potentially different.) But I am in no way surprised either. On some levels it still seems crazy to me. And I have thought that perhaps if I just put a flamer thrower to a raw steak it might be as good as a sous vide steak, but I do not really think so.

And you just did salt and pepper for the sous vide steak. I have come to include a slice of onion, some smashed garlic cloves, and a sprig of whatever green herb I have around in the sous vide bag. I have not gone back to try steaks with and without, but my sense is the inclusion of such aromatics is beneficial, perhaps really beneficial. That is not something that can be done on the Kamado. (One could marinate the steak I guess. I have come to dislike marinated steaks though. I think it changes the texture and over qualities too much. It does more than just flavor.)

Thanks for the report. And chapeau to those who developed sous vide in the first place.

@The Knize I definitely agree with you about the flavoring agents in the bag with the protein, although you have to be careful not to over-add because I've found it really intensifies the flavor of whatever you're adding. But it always smells so good when you open the bag afterwards and get that waft of herbs/garlic/whatever...

I have found that some "flavoring agents" work and some do not. Salt and pepper for sure, although I do not use any more than I would to season a steak before putting it on the grill. I sure have not done anything like an au poivre, as I might do with a skillet and I guess I would consider doing on the grill. I like to use that granulated garlic they sell at Costco, along with salt and pepper, for things I do on the grill or even in the smoker, as I recall. I am not a fan of garlic powder or garlic salt, but that granulated garlic seems to do well, stand up to the heat, and provide fairly authentic flavor. However, I have tried seasoning steaks with that before the sous vide bag and I thought the result was bad. Too intense as you say and the flavor did not seem to be a good flavor of garlic at all. I do not think I would add paprika, much less smoked paprika, or really any intense spices. I would not use sage, but I find sage too strong for most applications. Some thyme is probably okay, but I think that could be over done. But a bit of rosemary, a good bit of parsley, maybe basil, I am unsure of mint, probably all good. A slice of onion on both sides has not hurt. I do not think I use more than three garlic cloves. I do not like oil/butter in the sous vide bag at all. I sure do not think I would put in anything like a marinade. No wine or anything.

I would love to hear other folks experiences/thoughts!

I've tried different seasonings, oils, etc with my various Sous Vide dishes.

Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper is all I use now for Steaks. For Chicken, I add S&P plus a small amount of butter and sage.

I'm a believer that you need to keep it simple and let the protein be the star of the show.

I have tried a couple of things with chicken, but I cannot say I have loved the sous vide results for chicken as I have for beef. Do you find yourself doing sous vide as a first choice of cooking method for chicken? Do you brown the chicken after the sous vide as you would beef?

Sounds like you have affirmatively decided that just salt and pepper gives you the best results for beef. Interesting. My own thought is that beef benefits from some "infusion" of green and onions and garlic, and that the slow low cook in sous vide does that very well. Whereas for brisket I have gone the other way. The only thing I rub a brisket with these days is coarse salt and coarse pepper! I think I am down to a much simplified rub for smoked pork shoulder, too.

It is helpful to trade ideas and experiences.

I Have been doing both pork chops and Ribeyes using the same method and seasonings and have been very happy with the results. I lightly season with Lawrys seasoning salt, cold smoke for an hour, then seal in bag with a pat of butter and a sprig of rosemary. Ribeyes I do at 125 and chops at 137 degrees. Before searing on the grill I re-season with Lawrys and Santa Fe Grill seasoning. I like hearing other people’s hits and misses, I’m going to try adding onion and maybe a clove of garlic next time.

I've never tried onion with my proteins, but I will! That sounds like a great idea. I've used garlic cloves but honestly didn't enjoy it all that much.

Chicken is not my first choice with Sous Vide. Yes, it comes out very juicy, and I do thrown them in the cast iron at the end, but I prefer thin pieces of chicken cooked on the grill.

Steaks? Sous Vide all the way. Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper... 130F for 1.5 hours. Perfect, every single time.

Top Bottom