What's new

Source for webbing

It's turning out harder than I expected to buy 3" cotton webbing for strops. So far I have found a cotton twill on Amazon but I've only found it on a 50 yard roll which is way way more than I'd ever need.

Then a source of Hemp strapping on etsy that actually looks perfect and is sold by the yard (or meter??) but shipping is $45 from the UK (I'm in US).

Other than this I have found Jute with a nice tight looking weave and I will probably buy some to play with but I'd still like cotton or hemp.

Does anyone have a source for this in USA or Canada?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Following with interest as I’ve also found it challenging to source backing material for the the strops I’ve been making. Fireman buddy has been looking for old linen fire hose they replace but no luck yet. Tight budget for this so I’ve missed a few opportunities.

Legion

Staff member
Maybe try a large leather supply store.

Some years ago I found a limited quantity of tubular flax linen webbing in 2 and 3” width, in a leather supply place in Melbourne. I’m assuming it was sold there for people making saddlery.

C94A34FB-575E-446A-BAB3-6D9C8542BD0A.jpeg

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Most of the cotton twill I have tried to source recently comes in a heavy 3 1/8" wide but can be found in smaller quantities (I have maybe 30 yards I would cut and sell that is too wide for my 3" strops). My standard heavy 3" comes in 50 yard rolls and has nearly doubled in cost from my supplier over the last month. The mills do not seem to currently be weaving genuine flax linen and supplies have dried up.

I have had a very difficult time this past year sourcing any of the cloth I use.

Most of the cotton twill I have tried to source recently comes in a heavy 3 1/8" wide but can be found in smaller quantities (I have maybe 30 yards I would cut and sell that is too wide for my 3" strops). My standard heavy 3" comes in 50 yard rolls and has nearly doubled in cost from my supplier over the last month. The mills do not seem to currently be weaving genuine flax linen and supplies have dried up.

I have had a very difficult time this past year sourcing any of the cloth I use.
The quantity has been tricky. I find the size but it's only in 50 yard spools or something. I only need maybe 2 yards.

I found some linen with a herringbone weave on etsy I went ahead and ordered some. It may be to thin a material but I'll give it a try. I also found a cotton twill that looks a little thicker and tighter weave. Not sure how well they'll work for hanging strops but I might make some paddle strops. I got 3 yards of each to give a little extra to play with.

I was just about to post a thread asking the same question. I have scoured the web trying to find sources of 3" cotton/linen webbing. Following this thread closely!

Can’t get 3 inch but, 2.5 inch cotton and nylon are available at most fabric stores. There are a couple guys on Etsy selling a nice herring bone 3 inch flax linen.

I have a Tony Miller 3 inch flax and have been experimenting with it. It is as good as my fire hose, very nice flax. I would jump on his offer to sell his flax.

I use flax firehose to strop on between stones when honing. It is very nice for that.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Is flax linen seasonal?

It is a natural product related to a growing season
I think like with most products demand is the bigger issue. Not many markets for 3" flax webbing so mills seem to run it only once every few years. Last time the mill stopped it took nearly 3 years till I could source it again. They will run what sells fast and gives a quick return on investment and run the slow selling stuff only when they have extra capacity or find a customer willing to buy the 10,000 meter/yard minimum order.

Cotton is also technically seasonal but there is plenty on the market but just woven in an odd 3 1/8" width from most sources to allow for shrinkage if dyed or processed in certain ways. 3" exactly in width is harder to find and recently jumped in price.

Got my linen and cotton material. The linen is actually heavier than I thought it would be. Excited to start experimenting with it. These aren't webbing but "tape".

1664230518791.png

1664230560596.png

Gave the Linen a try today. First I will say, I'm not looking under a microscope here. I'm not getting THAT scientific with this. It's all based on feel.

I cut two 8" pieces and taped them to a lapped piece of MDF. I treated one with chromox and the other with iron ox. This is my go to stropping compounds that I normally use on balsa. I used my "Russian Bear" by Ertan Suer as the edge was needing a little touch up.

The linen felt corse but smooth. It had kind of a slick feel. I liked it. Off the cromox I did a little test shave, just one part of my cheek. Very nice feel. Better than the cromox off the balsa. Moved to the iron ox. This actually seemed to take the edge in the opposite direction. It was a little smoother feel than the cromox but didn't seem to shave as well. So I took it back to the chromox, very nice again, and tried the iron again, this time being more deliberate in my process. Same results.

I'm debating if I want to test the diamond pastes on the linen. Currently I have it on some balsa but honestly I'm still undecided on how I feel about the diamond. Amazingly sharp, crisp edges but the feel of a diamond edge I'm just not sure I'm sold on. I am looking to get some stropping pastes from Keith Johnsons etsy page, pretty excited to try those.

Thursday I'll test the cotton. I suspect the iron ox will produce better results on the cotton.

Gave the Linen a try today. First I will say, I'm not looking under a microscope here. I'm not getting THAT scientific with this. It's all based on feel.

I cut two 8" pieces and taped them to a lapped piece of MDF. I treated one with chromox and the other with iron ox. This is my go to stropping compounds that I normally use on balsa. I used my "Russian Bear" by Ertan Suer as the edge was needing a little touch up.

The linen felt corse but smooth. It had kind of a slick feel. I liked it. Off the cromox I did a little test shave, just one part of my cheek. Very nice feel. Better than the cromox off the balsa. Moved to the iron ox. This actually seemed to take the edge in the opposite direction. It was a little smoother feel than the cromox but didn't seem to shave as well. So I took it back to the chromox, very nice again, and tried the iron again, this time being more deliberate in my process. Same results.

I'm debating if I want to test the diamond pastes on the linen. Currently I have it on some balsa but honestly I'm still undecided on how I feel about the diamond. Amazingly sharp, crisp edges but the feel of a diamond edge I'm just not sure I'm sold on. I am looking to get some stropping pastes from Keith Johnsons etsy page, pretty excited to try those.

Thursday I'll test the cotton. I suspect the iron ox will produce better results on the cotton.

Thanks for your report. I love reading these kind of experiments. It's how we all learn here and after 10 years of honing and SR shaving, I still learn something here every day.

During a weekend trip with the wife to some historic amish country of Lancaster pennsylvania, i learn that many farms in the area are again growing flax. The crop has not been grown in pennsylvania for many years but they started again in 2020. Hopefully that means there will soon be more availability in the us.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
During a weekend trip with the wife to some historic amish country of Lancaster pennsylvania, i learn that many farms in the area are again growing flax. The crop has not been grown in pennsylvania for many years but they started again in 2020. Hopefully that means there will soon be more availability in the us.
Part of the issue is the small market for the webbing and finding a mill that still will weave it. Other flax linen products seems to have a reasonable supply, it is the webbing that has gotten scarce. I think the last US mill weaving flax webbing stopped doing it nearly 10 years ago. Since then mine has been sourced overseas in the UK and Europe.

Kind of a waiting game now. Last time the overseas mills stopped it was nearly 3 years till they resumed. Still hoping something breaks loose.

Part of the issue is the small market for the webbing and finding a mill that still will weave it. Other flax linen products seems to have a reasonable supply, it is the webbing that has gotten scarce. I think the last US mill weaving flax webbing stopped doing it nearly 10 years ago. Since then mine has been sourced overseas in the UK and Europe.

Kind of a waiting game now. Last time the overseas mills stopped it was nearly 3 years till they resumed. Still hoping something breaks loose.
The nice thing about these small producers, especially the amish, they usually do not have a problem doing smaller runs. Generally family/community farms so the labor costs are not insane either. I'll do a little more digging and report back any information i find.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The nice thing about these small producers, especially the amish, they usually do not have a problem doing smaller runs. Generally family/community farms so the labor costs are not insane either. I'll do a little more digging and report back any information i find.
I used to have Amish and Mennonite families making the wooden blanks for my paddle strops and at one time cutting components for my strops from leather I supplied. I still buy much of my leather and hardware from my Amish friends.

Top Bottom