What's new

Source for plain black acrylic blanks big enough for brush handles?

I have this vision. After looking at all of those vintage 2 piece rubberset brushes I want to make one that has the look. Gonna use butterscotch pearl for the bottom, and wanna use straight black acrylic or any sort of black plastic that will polish up to look like black glass. Even gonna cut the threads like the old ones. Honestly I would love to use green pearl like the ever readys with the green base but I can't find a pearl blank that is the right shade. Can't use most acrylics cause you have the show side and the tangled stringy looking side. Not consistent all around. Different discussion though...

So where would I go to purchase a blank that will polish up like black glass (or something close) and be big enough to work with? And I would love not to have to buy a full length rod. Maybe black polycarbonate rod is another option?

Last edited:
I know how to make it, but I'm waiting until the weather warms up. It really stinks when it is curing, and I want to do it outside. Try Mycarver - he is the top man for casting acrylic, and he might sell you a blank. If you can wait until mid April, I'll see what I can do for you.

Skip, I got nothing but time. This is planning for when I get back to the states in June for my mid tour vacation. Gonna make this and bring it back with me.

Wow, did not think of that. I guess even if it does not polish up like glass that would be okay, I have never worked with delrin so I dunno how it polishes.

What about adhesives to use on Delrin?

Last edited:
If you don't need it until June, I can definitely have some for you. I made black last fall, and made a nice brush for my son for Christmas. PM me if you are interested. And thanks for your service!
Skip

Last edited:
Top Bottom