What's new

Source for Beef Fat?

I saw some of you guys pay for your beef fat, that made me laugh because I work at Kroger in the meat market and we will give you the fat for free. All you have to do is ask because all we do with it is throw it away.

hum that's funny my local kroger (now scotts really) is the first place I tried and they said they sell it to a company for use in cosmetics and wouldn't give me any even if I wanted to pay.

The best source for beef fat is suet, the fat around the kidneys. This is what most people use to render tallow.

I know someone here locally that will sell it to me at .35 a lb.

You need to find someone independent, look through the phone book for meat markets. Just call them up and ask them if they sell suet.

If not go to a local grocery store and pick up some brisket or something very fatty to render a small batch.

The best source for beef fat is suet, the fat around the kidneys. This is what most people use to render tallow.

I know someone here locally that will sell it to me at .35 a lb.

You need to find someone independent, look through the phone book for meat markets. Just call them up and ask them if they sell suet.

If not go to a local grocery store and pick up some brisket or something very fatty to render a small batch.

For soapmaking kidney fat is not necessary. Once beef fat is rendered it's all tallow. Suet is actually any beef or mutton fat but for cooking usage it's the kidney fat.

Last edited:
For soapmaking kidney fat is not necessary. Once beef fat is rendered it's all tallow. Suet is actually any beef or mutton fat but for cooking usage it's the kidney fat.

Suet is the name for the fat around the kidneys. Its not necessary but it render a large amount and is often discarded. Therefore sometimes sold at a very low cost.

Suet is the name for the fat around the kidneys. Its not necessary but it render a large amount and is often discarded. Therefore sometimes sold at a very low cost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suet
Notice it does not limit it to fat from the kidney area. Likewise in this definition from Dictionary.com
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/suet
Notice it included loins or torso in the definitions.
Suet from the kidney area is what is commonly understood when it is used as a cooking ingredient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suet
Notice it does not limit it to fat from the kidney area. Likewise in this definition from Dictionary.com
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/suet
Notice it included loins or torso in the definitions.
Suet from the kidney area is what is commonly understood when it is used as a cooking ingredient.

You're right it does include the loins and torso. Thank you I didn't know that.

Either way suet is a great to render lots of tallow.

Either way suet is a great to render lots of tallow.

No arguments there. When I was doing a LOT of soapmaking and rendering a LOT of tallow I did prefer the kidney fat (easier to render) but because of it's use in cooking as 'suet' the butcher would charge me a premium price for this particular 'cut' of fat. The other stuff he practically gave to me for literally pennies a pound.

Last edited:
Heheh...not sure if you're serious or not but either way, awesome (ie. hilarious) post. :lol:

your more than welcome to have a laugh mr bond. gets a bit monotonous just talking about shaving. glad to see it brought a smile and laugh to your lemon spread.

most of it's true btw. he's favorite scent is well, you know tongue in cheek but the rest is pretty much close.

you know it coulda been the fat drippiings left over from the shave or he coulda had a certain charm with the animals i dunno, but knowing my dog that lazy bum, give him some food or a sniff of it and he'll do sumersults for ya.

Last edited:
try your local carniceria. At least where I live they are the beef butches extroidinaire.
You may need to brush up on your spanish
Qusiero lardo y grassa de carne

aaron
Any Argentinian meat market carry already rendered good beef fat, used for frying the delicious empanadas (meat pies). It's called "grasa de pella" and here in Toronto costs $4 cdn a kilo.

Yes I swear this is a shaving related question I swear!
I've been researching and thinking of making some tallow based shave soap in my spare time and have been looking for a source of beef fat. My local grocery stores already collect it and sell it to some company for the cosmetics industry and some of the local butchers won't sell it or give it to you. Anyone got another idea a little outside the box? Heck I'm in IN I should be able to find beef fat :lol:

I didn't read all of the other posts, but if you want I can get you beef fat. My wife's uncle owns a processing plant & I could facilitate getting you some if you still want it.

well I figured I'd update the thread, the fat turned into tallow which quickly became... some soap
proxy.php

I'm looking for 2 people in the US to test it after it's 3-4 week curing period. Scent is Black Amber Musk.

Having rendered tallow for years (in a traditional style for period Ren. Faire situations) for the purpose of candles I would suggest looking into other meat/fats than beef. With a pure tallow candle beef fat would always render into a very soft situation where sheep and other, leaner animals would come out more solid and stiff. Admittedly my experience with that has little to do with the additives of soap and the specifics we desire in a shave lather, but just a tip too took at. Fight Club did hit a good point (and being a Palahnuik fan it was intentional on his part) with there being a difference

Top Bottom