What's new

Source for Beef Fat?

Yes I swear this is a shaving related question I swear!
I've been researching and thinking of making some tallow based shave soap in my spare time and have been looking for a source of beef fat. My local grocery stores already collect it and sell it to some company for the cosmetics industry and some of the local butchers won't sell it or give it to you. Anyone got another idea a little outside the box? Heck I'm in IN I should be able to find beef fat :lol:

you could buy a beef brisket but that would cost you around 20

.... have been looking for a source of beef fat....

Don't know if beef is the best but for making soap out of it you should consider that you best use the fat around the organs of an animal, not the fat around muscle tissue. There are galaxies in between!!

but that was for her Lye Soap!

All soap is lye soap; however, badly measured ingredients in cold-process soap can have extra caustic, making it rough on the skin and on the clothes. Great-great-granny probably made hot process soap, which was not as dependent on accurate measurements.

Yes I swear this is a shaving related question I swear!
I've been researching and thinking of making some tallow based shave soap in my spare time and have been looking for a source of beef fat. My local grocery stores already collect it and sell it to some company for the cosmetics industry and some of the local butchers won't sell it or give it to you. Anyone got another idea a little outside the box? Heck I'm in IN I should be able to find beef fat :lol:

As noted above, rendering beef fat is a pain. You can order tallow blocks, already rendered. I don't know about finding it retail, but if you ask nicely I'll put you in touch with Dad -- he buys the stuff by the pallet load and would probably ship you a block for his cost plus shipping.

for added slickness you can also catch the drippings from a spit or roast. this will have the fat and oil juices. store it overnight in a jar or something. even in the fridge. let it solidify.
my dad used to shave with it using a straight. he's favorite scent was Bulgarian lamb and Dobrovnik beef. i always wondered why the dogs on the farms would alway's follow him around and lick he's face??? all this time i thought he had a certain charm or charisma with the animals. i would call me own dog and it would never come when he was around. all he would have to do is step outside after a nice morning shave, stretch his arms, take a deep breath and bang,, 50 animals around him. soon as he changed to the canned gillette crap my dog comes every time i call him now.

Last edited:
I saw some of you guys pay for your beef fat, that made me laugh because I work at Kroger in the meat market and we will give you the fat for free. All you have to do is ask because all we do with it is throw it away.

I saw some of you guys pay for your beef fat, that made me laugh because I work at Kroger in the meat market and we will give you the fat for free. All you have to do is ask because all we do with it is throw it away.

Well, already-rendered and deodorized, but yeah, "we" (Mom and Dad) do pay for it. Rendering takes a long time and a lot of stove fuel!

for added slickness you can also catch the drippings from a spit or roast. this will have the fat and oil juices. store it overnight in a jar or something. even in the fridge. let it solidify.
my dad used to shave with it using a straight. he's favorite scent was Bulgarian lamb and Dobrovnik beef. i always wondered why the dogs on the farms would alway's follow him around and lick he's face??? all this time i thought he had a certain charm or charisma with the animals. i would call me own dog and it would never come when he was around. all he would have to do is step outside after a nice morning shave, stretch his arms, take a deep breath and bang,, 50 animals around him. soon as he changed to the canned gillette crap my dog comes every time i call him now.

Heheh...not sure if you're serious or not but either way, awesome (ie. hilarious) post. :lol:

Top Bottom