What's new

Sotiris' straight razor journal

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Apparently, I made too much slurry that dulled the edge, and didn't do enough passes later on to bring it back.
I have read it can take anywhere from 7-10 or up to 50 laps with water, depending on your coticule. Watch the video of that lady at the Dovo factory honing new razors, she really whips that blade around the stone and makes a ton of passes. You might try just giving the edge a slight dusting on balsa.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Does “slight dusting” mean a few, alternating sets of edge-trailing strokes in this instance?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I get my balsa strips from the local hobby store, the double-side tape them to a block of wood. I have used crox on MDF for sharpening knives if you can't find balsa.

I still need to test a few more possible edges and I will write some of my findings at some point.

I am happy that the Coticule plus Chromox combination worked exceptionally well today. Time will tell if I prefer this to the Naniwa 12k plus Chromox edges. Today, I would say yes.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

Mail call! After 48 days on the road, my, made in Sheffield, Jonh Cockhill razor in here. I'm super happy about it. Even though it came shave ready, I will hone it first before shaving.

P4140527-1.jpg

P4140531-1.jpg

The last few days, I am fortunate enough to have on loan from a friend some fantastic razors from his collection. I had the opportunity to use a Dorko Rostfrei 6/8 during the weekend, which was fantastic! Today however, it was special.

P4140516-3.jpg

My first shave ever with a Feather DX. Sharper than a SR, but a really smooth shaver. The blade here is set with approximately 1mm larger reveal than normal, so as to better emulate a SR. I haven't felt so scared since my first SR shave. I have to improve my technique and be on top of my game to use it properly. I can definitely see one in my future. :biggrin1:

The 59 is getting better with every use. Great brush. The duke is back in its box and I am officially down to one brush.

It's been a while since my last update, as things got busy at work and at home. I spent quite some time these past days on honing so that I start understanding how my Coticule behaves. I'm happy with the progress so far, but I definitely need more experience to get the most out of it. Four of my razors are now finished on it followed by some passes on Chromox and the results are really nice, especially on the John Cockhill.

While I feel that the differences between my full hollows are small, the feeling of a wedge razor is special. I prefer it from the rest, but being such an old razor, I tend to treat it more like a piece of history than a tool. As such, I ordered a Friodur 72V, which sports a thick grind (near wedge or quarter hollow?).

Speaking of Friodur, I had another mail call.

P10416-085053(1).jpg

It's a 72 1/2, aka full hollow, 6/8 with a round point. During my latest shaves, I do a couple of strokes so as to test the edges I put on the Dorko, but I keep using the Friodur for the most part. Not having to think about rust etc. is very liberating. At the moment, some of my razors are redundant. I don't need 4 full hollows. I might sell a couple at some point.

Finishing this post, here is a SotD photo.

P4210534-1.jpg

I got my first vaccine shot two days ago and I am super happy. Yesterday, I was feeling quite sick, but today it was time to celebrate with a nice shave. It's also the Orthodox Easter today, so it's double the celebration.

The setup included the Friodur 72 1/2, the Simpsons 59 and the Fat. A month later and I am still using the 59 and the Fat, exclusively, 6-7 times per week. My loading time is now down to 6'' and the brush has yet to lose a hair. Alternating razors every now and then, is enough to keep any boredom away.

The Friodur is my favorite full hollow. I like the steel so much that, apart from the 72V, I have also ordered an 11V which I plan to be the last straight I get. Famous last words, I know... :lol:

I am at 7 straight razors now, 4 hollows (3 carbon and 1 stainless steel), 3 near wedges (1 carbon and 2 stainless steel). I am thinking of swapping one of the Aust razors with a Feather DX at some point but that will wait for now.

Honing on the Coticule has proven to be a great learning experience. I am practicing on the Dorko quite frequently and I am now at the point where I can consistently put a decent edge that I am satisfied with. The edges incrementally improve every time and I expect that things will improve as I gain more experience.

I decided to restart participating on the monthly GRUME. As I don't need any more shave related products, this will keep me in check.

P5020008-2.jpg

thombrogan

Happy Easter, @Sotiris_A !

Thank you for the update. You were shaving every other day holding your blade with only your dominant hand when I had last read. What has changed so that you’re now shaving nearly every day?

Happy Easter, @Sotiris_A !

Thank you for the update. You were shaving every other day holding your blade with only your dominant hand when I had last read. What has changed so that you’re now shaving nearly every day?

Thank you, Thom! :)

I reverted back to shaving almost daily a while ago. At the time, there was barely enough stubble to shave every day and it was very coarse. I'm not sure if I can give a correct answer, but I think it's the edges that changed, along with some improvement on my technique.

In general, honing on my Coticule followed by a few passes on Chromox leaves a smooth and super comfortable edge. The shaves still last approximately the same. i.e. all day long and there ain't much left for the next day. That's without increasing the number of passes or touchups. I attribute that to a slightly better technique*. I am quite certain that using the same setup for lathering is also helping. Still using my right hand only. Anyway, since, I prefer shaving every day and the edges are more comfortable and sharp enough for the tougher 24-hours stubble, I see no reason to skip a day unless I have to.

*I am convinced that the 100 shaves rule is nonsense. There are so many things to learn and even more to test, along with so many parameters to control which might require a different approach per face area, that improvement is continuous. I am thinking in years time scale now. This doesn't mean that you cannot shave with a straight before that. But if we are just talking about getting a decent shave with a straight, you don't need 100 shaves for that. Probably, 30-50 are enough to feel comfortable with a SR.

Long time no see. MWF on Easter day? How fitting.... :001_tt2:

What can I say? I love lamb and today even more. :lol:

thombrogan

I'm not sure if I can give a correct answer, but I think it's the edges that changed, along with some improvement on my technique.
The shaves still last approximately the same. i.e. all day long and there ain't much left for the next day. That's without increasing the number of passes or touchups.

That is excellent to read! Congratulations on your improved technique.

I attribute that to a slightly better technique*. I am quite certain that using the same setup for lathering is also helping.

Straight razor shaving is a bit like singing. One has to improve and maintain one’s edge/voice while simultaneously improving one’s performance. And hydration is highly important …

*I am convinced that the 100 shaves rule is nonsense.

I think it’s a special nonsense along the lines of Terry Pratchett’s lies to children. To let the beginner know effort over time will be needed. I like the advise of @Slash McCoy that the goal of the first few shaves is to survive.

There are so many things to learn and even more to test, along with so many parameters to control which might require a different approach per face area, that improvement is continuous.

Improvements only stop for a small handful of reasons. Not believing further improvements are possible is the prime reason. Age-related skill deterioration and actually dying are at the bottom.

@Cal has his Fixed Four every March and most participants note improved technique. I did near the end of the last week…

@MilkCrate told me a way I could stop gouging my face would be to stick with a particular set-up until my soap in that setup was used up. It is to my shame I didn’t do that yet.

@engblom has a group: SSSR dedicated to the ideal of (mental) software over (physical) hardware for improving results and enjoyment of the ritual. I give in to my magpie tendencies, but I admire their mission.

So your move to finishing on a coticule and stropping on CrO along with the Simpson/Mitchell combination are paying off.

But if we are just talking about getting a decent shave with a straight, you don't need 100 shaves for that. Probably, 30-50 are enough to feel comfortable with a SR.

I’ve got one in with a straight razor and three with a barber razor, so I’m almost there!

I love lamb and today even more.

The restaurant near my office sells curried lamb. I’ve only had curried goat, so I can’t vouch for the lamb. The goat’s not baaaad.

Thank you, John! :)

That is excellent to read! Congratulations on your improved technique.

Straight razor shaving is a bit like singing. One has to improve and maintain one’s edge/voice while simultaneously improving one’s performance. And hydration is highly important …

I think it’s a special nonsense along the lines of Terry Pratchett’s lies to children. To let the beginner know effort over time will be needed. I like the advise of @Slash McCoy that the goal of the first few shaves is to survive.

Improvements only stop for a small handful of reasons. Not believing further improvements are possible is the prime reason. Age-related skill deterioration and actually dying are at the bottom.

@Cal has his Fixed Four every March and most participants note improved technique. I did near the end of the last week…

@MilkCrate told me a way I could stop gouging my face would be to stick with a particular set-up until my soap in that setup was used up. It is to my shame I didn’t do that yet.

@engblom has a group: SSSR dedicated to the ideal of (mental) software over (physical) hardware for improving results and enjoyment of the ritual. I give in to my magpie tendencies, but I admire their mission.

So your move to finishing on a coticule and stropping on CrO along with the Simpson/Mitchell combination are paying off.

I’ve got one in with a straight razor and three with a barber razor, so I’m almost there!

The restaurant near my office sells curried lamb. I’ve only had curried goat, so I can’t vouch for the lamb. The goat’s not baaaad.

Hahaha, I like goat, too, in principle. Traditionally, we have lamb for lunch on Easter day, in Greece. However, some people, or dare I say apostates, prefer and have goat on the day. Less fat and smell or so they say. :a31:

Straights require some dedication. It's more difficult to learn if you just splash in a SR shave every now and then.

I am also an advocate of fixed setups. However, for me, changing SRs is less significant than changing DEs for example. The former, unlike the later, allow you to control all the main variables of a shave and the amount of stretching and the speed of the stroke can compensate up to a point for a less sharp edge. I've used my wedge along with hollow razors during the same shave and apart from the feeling, I cannot say I've experienced something different during or after the shave. The hollow ones vibrate more, offer a bit more lively feeling and give tons of feedback, whereas the wedges are more rigid, silent and smoother. I cannot talk about shavettes, but the Feather DX was more or less like a very sharp wedge SR. Perhaps the rest feel different.

Now that I come to think of it, I would probably not advise a beginner to alternate between 4/8 and 8/8ths. However, my wedge is approximately 5/8ths and I didn't need to adjust coming from 6/8ths full hollows.

Top Bottom