What's new

Sotiris' straight razor journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you. I knew you had bought one bottle, but what about more for a fountain you may merely stand beside to refresh your EdT?

Thank you. I knew you had bought one bottle, but what about more for a fountain you may merely stand beside to refresh your EdT?

ROFL! I just off from work and the brain isn't working properly... Now I get it.

For some strange reason, it is still easier for me to justify 9 more pucks of MWF than another bottle of Floris. :laugh:

• Pre-shave: Hot towel and bloom water
  • Razor: Carr 6/8
  • Brush: Simpsons 59
  • Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
  • ASB: -
  • EdT: Floris no. 89

• Method: 2 passes with repeated strokes, 1st WTG, 2nd ATG.
  • Result: Very close and one of the most comfortable shaves I've had. No blood, no irritation. Great post shave.
  • Satisfaction: 10/10

Notes:

Another razor on loan. I have a couple more to share the next few days. Today, it was a Carr, made in Liverpool. It is a near wedge 6/8. Great balance, excellent (Coticule) edge. Not much else to add, other than feel grateful and lucky I got the chance to give it a try.

PA190006-3.jpg

The trimming down of the collection continues...

PA190005-1.jpg

Happy shaves everyone! :)

I was on my way to shaving minimalism when the SR bug hit me, in August 2020. Now, it's been a year since I started this journal and a year and a day since I finally switched to SRs.

It was a great journey so far! New toys to play with, new techniques to explore and a constant effort to improve both in shaving and honing. Like everything else, it's proven to be more about skill than equipment and this has put me back on track towards reducing my gear.

I enjoy my shaves so much, that I don't see myself returning to DEs anytime soon. Yet I have to be honest and admit that I am actually cheating lately, since my Feather DX gets used for most of my shaves.

Frankly, if I didn't have all these stones and razors, I find no compelling reason to use a SR. The DX gives a comparable shaving experience without the need to care about stropping or honing. The blades last so long that I could even argue that it is cheaper than following the SR path. But I get it. There is something romantic in using old-school shaving tools that can provide a great shave, as well as putting an edge yourself on your razor.

Anyway, that's my short summary of last year. Thank you all for following!

... @Billy T. it's time you get yourself a Feather Artist club razor! :laugh:

I was on my way to shaving minimalism when the SR bug hit me, in August 2020. Now, it's been a year since I started this journal and a year and a day since I finally switched to SRs.

It was a great journey so far! New toys to play with, new techniques to explore and a constant effort to improve both in shaving and honing. Like everything else, it's proven to be more about skill than equipment and this has put me back on track towards reducing my gear.

I enjoy my shaves so much, that I don't see myself returning to DEs anytime soon. Yet I have to be honest and admit that I am actually cheating lately, since my Feather DX gets used for most of my shaves.

Frankly, if I didn't have all these stones and razors, I find no compelling reason to use a SR. The DX gives a comparable shaving experience without the need to care about stropping or honing. The blades last so long that I could even argue that it is cheaper than following the SR path. But I get it. There is something romantic in using old-school shaving tools that can provide a great shave, as well as putting an edge yourself on your razor.

Anyway, that's my short summary of last year. Thank you all for following!

... @Billy T. it's time you get yourself a Feather Artist club razor! :laugh:
I enjoy my shaves so much, that I don't see myself returning to DEs anytime soon.
Congratulations on reaching a destination that delivers your preferred shave. My sojourn into straights was an opposite for me with shaves. The honing was and continues to be a thrill especially with knives. Doing the same thing with different equipment requiring different techniques a major challenge and accomplishment in any discipline. Finding what works best for your shave is the ultimate success. Well done. 👍

Congratulations on reaching a destination that delivers your preferred shave. My sojourn into straights was an opposite for me with shaves. The honing was and continues to be a thrill especially with knives. Doing the same thing with different equipment requiring different techniques a major challenge and accomplishment in any discipline. Finding what works best for your shave is the ultimate success. Well done. 👍

Thank you John!

I feel privileged living in an era with so much information and so many choices. I am still convinced that I would have been happy with a simple DE setup, e.g. 34c or perhaps a Gillette New, my 59, the Fat and some blades. Yet, I got the chance and the means to try more and be picky :laugh:

I'm sorry SR didn't work for you. I'm wondering whether our different experiences are also a result of shaving frequency. I certainly feel that using an open blade every day has helped me a lot.

Cheers! :)

Thank you John!

I feel privileged living in an era with so much information and so many choices. I am still convinced that I would have been happy with a simple DE setup, e.g. 34c or perhaps a Gillette New, my 59, the Fat and some blades. Yet, I got the chance and the means to try more and be picky :laugh:

I'm sorry SR didn't work for you. I'm wondering whether our different experiences are also a result of shaving frequency. I certainly feel that using an open blade every day has helped me a lot.

Cheers! :)
I'm wondering whether our different experiences are also a result of shaving frequency. I certainly feel that using an open blade every day has helped me a lot
A very light handed electric razor shave was the only option ever for a daily shave and it was a marginal DFS. It was never whiskers but sensitive skin that has dictated shave frequency. Even with carts my best results inevitably led to closer shaves.

My DE BBS shaves range from six and a few have pushed close to 24hrs. My medium light beard doesn’t begin to appear scruffy for four days. The seven day shave is closer and more comfortable than a five or six day. Every shave method and even larger DE shave changes has always changed my whisker growth. I honestly don’t understand why a seven day is consistently closer than a five or six day shave.

My last six months have been my most successful for skin health and comfort. I attribute product and technique to the improvement. The shaves, pre and post shave routines have been the biggest contributors. Sensitive skin dudes don’t get to play on the same game board as normal skin gents.

Forty or so straight razor shaves brought my skin back to the cart neighbourhood. It was skin survival rather than an option in stepping back from straights. The straight diversion opened and established the honing world for me. Honing continues to be a pleasure. A Sakai Takayuki 33-Layer Damascus Paring Knife, 80mm in the mail. The thrill continues.

Top Bottom