Sotiris' straight razor journal

• Pre-shave: Hot towel and bloom water
  • Razor: Feather DX
  • Blade: Feather Super Pro (25)
  • Brush: Simpsons 59
  • Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
  • ASL: -
  • EdT: -

• Method: 2 passes with repeated strokes, 1st WTG, 2nd ATG.
  • Result: Excellent once again. No blood, no irritation. Great post shave.
  • Satisfaction: 10/10

Notes:

Quick shave today. The blade is still going strong. Excellent lather must have helped. My current strike of great shaves with the Fat continues, no matter the razor.

Happy shaves! :)

Similar to my last few shaves. Nice Naniwa edge on the "Spaniard", but I prefer the Coticule ones. My Floris no.89 sample is gone. Decisions, decisions...

P9300007-1.jpg

Happy shaves everyone! :)

Dear @Billy T.,

As a fellow enthusiast of fine grooming accoutrements and exquisite fragrances, I am writing to inform you about my latest discovery, the Floris no. 89. Limited sampling of the fragrance, revealed an elegant, masculine scent profile that is of traditional type, yet not in the least antiquated. Sillage is intimate, yet longevity is rather prolonged since it is offered in an Eau de Toilette form. Early findings suggest that the Floris no. 89 is a fine candidate for a gentleman's signature fragrance.

Alas, further testing is required for drawing better conclusions as per the dry down time and the notes of the base. I would therefore greatly appreciate if you would consider the possibility of sponsoring the continuation of this endeavour.

Kind regards,

@Sotiris_A

Last edited:
Not much else to report shaving-wise. Same products minus the razor, same routine, same result, day in, day out.

Today, 2nd shave with a freshly honed Dorko (Coticule and Chromox) and I realized that the edge felt like the previous ones on the 2nd shave. Smooth, sharp, comfortable. I'm happy because this shows some consistency on my latest attempts.

I also had a mail call! :biggrin1:

P11007-121046.jpg

Not much else to report shaving-wise. Same products minus the razor, same routine, same result, day in, day out.

Today, 2nd shave with a freshly honed Dorko (Coticule and Chromox) and I realized that the edge felt like the previous ones on the 2nd shave. Smooth, sharp, comfortable. I'm happy because this shows some consistency on my latest attempts.

I also had a mail call! :biggrin1:

View attachment 1341410

Very Nice

• Razor: Feather DX
  • Blade: Feather Super Pro (26)
  • ASL: -
  • EdT: -

• Result: Very close and comfortable. No blood, no irritation. Great post shave.

Notes:

I cannot stop using my heavier ground razors lately, especially the 72-V. Today, I kind of forced myself to use the Feather and I'm glad I did, since it gave me a lovely shave. It feels reminiscent of a quarter hollow SR anyway, so it plays well with the 72-V and the John Cockhill.

I've started looking for razors, again. No rush, but I would love to add a couple more (near) wedges to the rotation. One candidate is the Dorko 42. I've shaved with one before and it is a fantastic razor. The other one is harder to get. I would like a second Sheffield in very good condition, preferably a Joseph Rogers, 6/8 or less. Anyway, one can dream...

Happy shaves! :)

PA090005-2.jpg

End of an era? No more Aust razors? Or no more Aust razors for you?

My first razor is already on the road to its new owner. That's the end. The second one, the Spanish point, is also up for grabs, but I am in no rush to sell it.

The thing is, every time I use a razor with a heavier grind I keep asking myself why I have so many full hollows. :laugh:

I doubt his Spanish brother will be happy with this. But I am sure Mr. Pits will serve you well in this time of grief

There is always the 72 1/2 at the top of the full hollow hill...

• Razor: Joseph Rodgers & Sons
  • ASB: D.R. Harris Sandalwood
  • EdT: Floris no. 89

• Result: Very close and comfortable. No blood, no irritation. Great post shave.

Notes:

Today it was special! On loan from a friend, I used a Joseph Rodgers & Sons 6/8 wedge. Part of a 7-days set, created in 1875. Almost like a feather on the skin, silently and gently removing the stubble. Heavy razor, so I had to counterbalance some of the weight. Superb result!

It is a unique feeling getting an excellent shave with a razor that old. I'm in shave heaven if that exists. :biggrin1:

PA170005-3.jpg

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

Notes:

Today it was special! On loan from a friend, I used a Joseph Rodgers & Sons 6/8 wedge. Part of a 7-days set, created in 1875. Almost like a feather on the skin, silently and gently removing the stubble. Heavy razor, so I had to counterbalance some of the weight. Superb result!

It is a unique feeling getting an excellent shave with a razor that old. I'm in shave heaven if that exists. :biggrin1:

Notes:

This is my Grandfather's razor, born 1888, when I got it, it looked like my Grandma had been using it for a letter opener ever since Grandpa switched to a 3 piece DE.
It was also my first SR, and it took me many tries to get an edge on it. I have used mine about 6 times and it is definitely a heavyweight, like you said.
When I get back to shaving regularly, I will probably pick it back up and try it again.
Joseph Rodgers.jpg

Man I need a shave

doug

This is my Grandfather's razor, born 1888, when I got it, it looked like my Grandma had been using it for a letter opener ever since Grandpa switched to a 3 piece DE.
It was also my first SR, and it took me many tries to get an edge on it. I have used mine about 6 times and it is definitely a heavyweight, like you said.
When I get back to shaving regularly, I will probably pick it back up and try it again.
View attachment 1347605
Man I need a shave

doug

It's a beauty and the fact that it is a family heirloom makes it even more special! :001_wub:

Second shave with the Joseph Rodgers and it was marvelous once again. I did a side-by-side comparison with my 72-V, just to feel if there are any differences. Indeed, the JR gave a bit more muted feedback. Both were equally gentle on the face. I liked the 72-V because it is lighter, but it wasn't difficult to adjust to the JR weight. All in all, both were great and it was reaffirmed that I need nothing more than what I have. Want is another issue, though.

I also had a mail call.

PA180001-1.jpg

Lately, it's been hard to find Mitchell's Wool Fat in continental Europe and with all the recent classic soaps reformulations, I was alarmed. At least I am covered for some time. :biggrin1:

Actually, I think I might need a dedicated small fridge...

PA180006-1.jpg

Top Bottom