What's new

Sotiris' straight razor journal

(does roasting with saffron increase post-shave feel or just add fragrance?).

1631129427146.png

"So, saponified saffron. More than a soap, it is a real COSMETIC." -- from the marketing blurb​

No clue how it works or smells, but it definitely adds color...

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My late Father-in-law always put a pinch of his Persian saffron in eggs when making breakfast.

We never thought to try it in soap 🙁

My late Father-in-law always put a pinch of his Persian saffron in eggs when making breakfast.

We never thought to try it in soap 🙁

Eggs with saffron... I need to try this someday.

All this discussion is making me hungry. And it's way past dinnertime. :D

SR Shave #No clue:
  • Pre-shave: Shower and hot towel (because, why not?) :biggrin1:
  • Razor: Dorko 888 6/8 (aka Mr. Pits)
  • Brush: Simpsons 59
  • Soap: Martin de Candre Original
  • ASL: Lucky Tiger, followed by D.R. Harris Windsor

• Method: 1st pass WTG, 2nd mostly ATG, part XTG, 3rd ATG touch ups on the part that were shaved XTG on the 2nd pass.
  • Result: Very close and quite comfortable. A small nick near the right corner of the lip (usual trouble spot), no irritation. The face feels great now.
  • Satisfaction: 8.5/10

Notes:
  1. Pre-shave stropping: some laps on leather till it felt right. Probably 25-30. Post-shave stropping: 5 laps on canvas to dry the edge.
  2. I used Tabac yesterday to see if there is any difference from MdC. The post shave is cleaner, perhaps a bit drier, but I noticed that the stubble was softer with the MdC and I liked the performance better! Even though I wrote before that it is just soap, this stuff somehow works very well. I also notice that my face prefers the Original more than the Fougere I used to own.
  3. The razor is the one I got for honing training purposes. It shaves well but I never felt I got a spectacular shave from it. I think this is because I tend to hone it, use it for a shave and then back to the stones it goes. Today it was shave #3 or so on it and it was a nice one.
  4. I haven't honed for a while, as I want to see how the different edges evolve with shaves. With the 888, I went from a full synthetic progression (1k-3k-8k-12k) to the Coticule for 30 x-strokes and finished with 5 laps on Chromox. It is quite sharp, but not my most comfortable. I hope it settles down in a couple of shaves. Just for comparison, the Friodur's 72 1/2 edge is a synthetic to Chromox (7 laps) one and it is super sharp and comfortable after the first 3-4 shaves. It reminds me of the edge I put on the round point Ralf Aust back in February. With the 72-V I went from the 8k to the Coticule and finished on Chromox (7 laps again). That one is probably my favorite, however I tend to like heavier grinds more lately and the steel plays a role, too. The Dorko for example is probably my thinnest one, it is also relatively softer steel and these might be the reasons I don't enjoy it so much.
Happy shaves and have a wonderful weekend! :)

P9110002-2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Pre-shave: Hot towel
  • Razor: Friodur 72-V
  • Soap: Tabac
  • ASL: Lucky Tiger, followed by D.R. Harris Windsor

• Method: 2 buffing passes, 1st WTG, 2nd ATG.
  • Result: Very close and comfortable. A small nick on the upper lip, no irritation. Great post shave.
  • Satisfaction: 9/10

Notes:
  1. Pre-shave stropping: some laps on leather till it felt right. Post-shave stropping: 5 laps on canvas to dry the edge.
  2. I used Tabac again. Wet brush (flicked once), quick lathering, I didn't work it long so as to keep the lather wetter.
  3. I shaved quickly, doing 3 strokes per spot, sort of like buffing, till I heard no stubble being cut and moved forward onto the next spot. I did that during both passes. The passes didn't follow the beard map completely. It was more N -> S and S->N. Despite that, the end result was very close and the shave was comfortable.
  4. I waited to see how close it was before reporting. 14 hrs later I am still SAS.
  5. I honed the Dorko later in the afternoon on the Coticule. I started with slurry to wipe the previous edge and went all the way to water and Chromox. It seems it went OK, but the shave will be the final test tomorrow.
Happy shaves! :)

Last edited:
  • Pre-shave: Hot towel
  • Razor: Mr. Pits, aka Dorko 888
  • Soap: Martin de Candre
  • ASL: GFT Eucris EdT

• Result: Very close and comfortable. No blood or no irritation. Great post shave.
  • Satisfaction: 9.5/10

Notes:
  1. Pre-shave stropping: none, since I stropped it yesterday after honing. Post-shave stropping: 5 laps on canvas to dry the edge.
  2. Once again, wet brush and minimal lathering to keep the lather as hydrated as possible.
  3. Same repeated strokes shaving technique going N -> S and S->N. Very comfortable and it gives me hope that once this becomes a routine, it will get even better.
  4. The edge felt better than my previous Coticule with slurry attempts. Not crazy sharp but sharper than before and as to be expected, it is gentle on the skin and gets the job done nicely. I might use it again tomorrow to see how it will settle.

• Pre-shave: Hot towel and bloom water
  • Razor: Friodur 72 1/2
  • ASL: Le pere Lucien Oud-Santal

• Result: Very close and comfortable. A timy nick on the upper lip, no irritation. Great post shave.
  • Satisfaction: 10/10

Notes:
  1. Pre-shave stropping: 20 on leather. Post-shave stropping: none.
  2. I fixed my pre-shave and lathering routine this week and it's going well. It takes probably 2 to 3 min
    • Hot water running with the towel and the brush in the sink.
    • Add a few drops of water on the soap.
    • Rinse the face thoroughly and apply the soapy water on the face with my hands.
    • Strop the razor to give the soap some time on the face.
    • Flick the brush once and load for a few seconds.
    • Sqeeze some, but not all of the water out of the towel and apply it above the sink so as to avoid making any mess. 20'' max.
    • Lather up just enough to have some structure.
  3. This should work better with a harder soap, but since I am now using MdC, I follow the routine as is without caring if the maker advises otherwise.
  4. The technique is the same as described before.
  5. The Naniwa edge after a few shaves is great. Sharp and smooth. That said, I feel the same about my Coticule edges too. The Dorko felt sharper and smoother after the first couple of shaves... Insufficient stropping, perhaps?
  6. I enjoyed it today. The 72 1/2 is my favorite full hollow. Nice size, slightly curved edge for extra smoothness, inox so it is care-free. I keep wondering why people argue that inox razors feel harsher on the face...
  7. I avoided getting a new razor after all, but lately D.R. Harris soaps keep calling my name. I might cave in. We'll see.
Have a nice weekend and happy shaves! :)

P9180002.jpg

• Razor: Mr. Pits
  • Brush: Simpsons Duke 2
  • ASL: Lucky Tiger and D.R. Harris Windsor

• Result: Close and very comfortable. No blood, no irritation. Great post shave.

Notes:
  1. Pre-shave stropping: 40 laps on canvas and 60 on leather. Post-shave stropping: 5 laps on canvas.
  2. Same pre-shave, same lathering technique. The Duke shined lathering the MdC today. They seem to be made for each other.
  3. Mr. Pits sported a refreshed Coticule edge without Chromox. I decided to clean up and reply the paste on my strop and so it wasn't ready for use yesterday. Today, it was a nice opportunity to check a plain Coti edge after many months.
  4. The shave was remarkably smooth and it didn't lack in the closeness department. Perhaps a bit. All in all, very nice, hence the satisfaction score. Tomorrow, it's going to be tested again after I doing 5 laps on Chromox.

• Razor: Mr. Pits
  • Brush: Simpsons Duke 2
  • Soap: Martin de Candre Original
  • ASL: Lucky Tiger and D.R. Harris Windsor

• Result: Very close and super comfortable. No blood, no irritation. Great post shave.

Notes:
  1. Same as yesterday other than 5 passes of the edge on Chromox, but better than yesterday. I should have scored my previous shave at 9.5/10, since today it was even better. Smoother, sharper, fun!
Happy shaves everyone! :)

SR Shave #69 (#13):
  • Pre-shave: Face wash and GFT Eucris skin food
  • Razor: Ralf Aust 6/8 Spanish point
  • Brush: Ω evo
  • Soap: Officina Artigiana Oli del Benessere
  • Bowl: Ω Via Barberia
  • ASL: Lucky Tiger
  • ASB: Weleda

• Method: 1st pass WTG, 2nd ATG
  • Result: Super close and comfortable. Minor irritation on the upper lip.

Notes:

Stropping: 30 x-strokes on leather. I was testing my new fishing scale and got carried away.

The weather here has turned colder once again. Snow is rare sight to see in Athens, Greece. Unfortunately this made my face rather sensitive and I skipped yesterday's shave.

For today, I opted for something moisturizing, along with bowl lathering with a soft brush. The result was great. However, I probably opened up the angle on the mustache area too much during the WTG pass and there appeared some minor irritation there. Nothing that the post-shave treatment couldn't handle.

I doubt there will be enough stubble to shave tomorrow. At the same time the cold weather will continue till Thursday, so I will probably skip a day again.

Hi! What is your opinion about the via barberia shave bowl? Would you prefer it over the captain's choice shave bowl? Are the ridges from the shaving bowl good? Thanks!

Hi! What is your opinion about the via barberia shave bowl? Would you prefer it over the captain's choice shave bowl? Are the ridges from the shaving bowl good? Thanks!

Hi @kurahell! Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm not really a bowl latherer so take my comments with a pinch of salt. It's a nice bowl with a couple of features that I liked and made me lean towards it.

First of all it is shallow, so it is easier to use with my medium-small brushes (e.g. Simpsons duke 2). Second, it has small ridges and that helps me control the air intake while lathering better. I also own the Fine bowl and that one tends to increase the air in the lather too much for my taste, so I don't use it. I don't have any experience with the Captain's Choice bowl as it is not available in the EU, but I wouldn't prefer it for the same reason. Lastly, the small handle the Omega one sports, makes it really nice and secure to hold.

One thing to pay attention to, is the diameter. It isn't very large and perhaps it might overflow easily should someone be using it with a large brush. I would also like to add that it is quite expensive and if you shop around you might find similar designs at a lower cost.

I hope this helps. :)

For old times sake...

P9260001-1.jpg

• Razor: The gentleman, aka Ralf Aust 6/8 round point
  • Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
  • ASL: -
  • EdT: Floris no.89 (sample)

• Result: Excellent. No blood, no irritation. Great post shave.

Notes:

Two days in a row and I keep wondering: "Why do I bother with fancy soaps, or other soaps, in general?"

Seriously, there is no comparison for me. MdC is good, but it can't reach it. Tabac lathers easily and it is slick, but lathers tend to be thicker and denser than what I like. Arko? Nope. SV? Good one, but not better. Lousy scents. I know, YMMV and all that...

A last one that keeps bugging me to check it once more, is D.R. Harris. I had it before, but never used it with SRs. From memory, it lathers similarly to MWF, so it might be a contender for the second soap. I'm thinking of the Marlborough scent. If it works, then great. If not, it's gonna be soap monogamy with a splash of something else every now and then.

The Aust with the Coticule edge shaved very well. I skipped the ASL, no need for that and went straight to the EdT. That's also another possible buy. I really like the scent.

Watch your mouth old man. The SV mafia is tracking your every move. :nono:

Perhaps the SV mafia could push for a simple lavender scent, no tin and a price below 20€. But that would probably go against the luxury product marketing that the soap makers from Varese have opted for... :001_tt2:

Top Bottom