What's new

Sotiris' straight razor journal

Nah nah nah you got it all wrong. The new straights are just around the corner, have faith.

1616756718595.png

1616756777535.png

As I said, I doubt it...

SR Shave #100:
  • Razor: Ralf Aust 6/8 round point
  • Brush: Simpsons 59
  • Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
  • ASB: Noxzema Moisture
  • EdT: YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme

• Method: 30 laps on leather. Cold water shave. 24 hours growth. 1st pass WTG/XTG, 2nd pass ATG.
  • Result: As close as it gets and super comfortable.

Notes (as compared to shave #1):
  1. The shaves take longer and although I love MWF the lather is not stable long enough. Switch to Tabac for the learning period. Mitchell's Wool Fat is my preferred soap and one of the very few I still have at hand (more on that later).
  2. If you think your angle is shallow, go shallower. Once you are in the proper range the shave is super smooth and mild. Still holds true for me.
  3. The vendor proved to be an excellent choice. That edge feels fantastic. I asked him about his method and he emailed me back saying that he usually finishes on chromox and then on the strop. If he hones the razor, it's just a regular Naniwa progression. This makes me super happy, because I already have a Naniwa 12k at hand. I am still extremely pleased with my first razor and keep using the 12k and Chromox till today.
  4. I am extremely happy I got to try SR shaving! +100 :biggrin1:

New notes:

I feel I still have a lot to learn and improve on my technique. For example, I have started using sliding (akin to the Gillette slide) and "scything" strokes lately. As such, the 100 shaves doesn't really mark any milestone for me, it's just part of the progress.

The razor wasn't refreshed for today's shave. It's probably on the 16th-17th use (I stopped counting some time ago). It is still super sharp and smooth.

The Simpsons 59 I used, is on loan from a friend. After testing more than 40 brushes, including 13 badgers, I found my favorite. It deviates a bit from the modern trend. 3-band best badger, relatively high loft (measured 56mm) with average density. Medium backbone, excellent face feel for my taste and it is super fast at creating lather. My copy is now on the road... :lol:

I am in the process of further reducing my gear and software to a smaller set: 3 ASL (Floid Vigoroso, Aqua Velva and Pitralon) and 1 ASB (Noxzema Moisture), 2 brushes (the forthcoming 59 and the Duke 2) and 2 soaps (MWF and Tabac) survived the purge. I will soon have 2 more razors at hand, a near-wedge made in Sheffield and a beaten-up Dorko 6/8 for training on honing. I would also like to add a stainless, lamely a Friodur 72 1/2, at some point. For any other additions, it will be one in, one out.

As far as the journal is concerned, I will keep updating whenever I feel there is something to be shared.

Happy shaves everyone and thanks for tagging along! :)

P4010482-1.jpg

Mail call!

Here is a beaten up Dorko 6/8 no.888 Importé d' Allemagne that I got for honing purposes. It is a full hollow one, though less hollow than both my RAs.

P4020484-1.jpg P4020485-1.jpg P4020486-1.jpg P4020488-1.jpg P4020490-1.jpg P4020491-1.jpg P4020492-1.jpg

Despite the scars due to corrosion, the craftmanship is still there. I'm sorry to say, but it seems better than the Ralf Aust. Not that the latter is bad by any means, however one can feel the difference. The scales are not original but I don't mind that.

As a former bass player, I am used to seeing old, beaten up Fenders. I quite like them actually, when the "battle scars" are genuine and not factory made, like some modern-production instruments. As such, for me, the Dorko isn't in bad shape. It's just a Dorko with mojo... :biggrin1:

The razor was sold as shave ready. The thumb nail test revealed that the bevel was formed, however the razor wouldn't treetop. Upon inspection, the edge wasn't polished and I suspected it was honed on a natural stone. I decided to thoroughly strop it and give it a go.

SR Shave #101:
  • Razor: Dorko 6/8 no.888
  • Brush: Simpsons Captain 2
  • Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
  • ASB: Noxzema Moisture
  • EdT: YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme

• Method: 60 laps on leather. Cold water shave. 24 hours growth. 1st pass WTG/XTG, 2nd pass ATG.
  • Result: DFS and the most comfortable shave I've had so far!

Notes:

The day started on a high today, as there was no queue at the postal office to get the parcel. I should note here, that the way the postal service works here is that they send a notification at home to get your parcel from the local office. They only deliver letters at home.

If that was a natural edge, I am hooked! And super happy I ordered a Coticule. I could do whatever nonsense I wanted and still not cut myself. It wasn't super sharp, hence the DFS result, but there was zero tugging or hesitation whatsoever.

The brush was another loan. Another great one, but I slightly prefer the 59.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

P4020493-3.jpg

Last edited:
I am extremely pleased with the 59. I know that the modern trend suggests that a badger brush should be a 2-band clone of the Chubby 2, however with a higher loft and a bit less density, the 59 puts all my other brushes to shame. Being 26mm it feels luxurious, while the best badger hair give it some lovely presence and enough backbone for my taste. It makes some fantastic lather very quickly. I would highly recommend such a setup. For significantly less money, the Captain 2 that I tested last week, is a similarly excellent performer, with a smaller knot (25mm/54mm).

I'm expecting to receive the Coticule later today. Super excited!

I've been shaving with the Dorko the last few days, putting my edge on it. Super close shaves but I feel it could be a bit smoother. Perhaps it needs a few more shaves to settle in, however that ain't happening. Can't wait to hone it on the Coticule later, today.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
What is the loft on your 59?
Can't wait to hone it on the Coticule later, today
Don't expect it to tree top like your 12k naniwa and remember to use plenty of water on that stone. Keep rinsing the slurry away. The slurry will blunt the edge in a hurry if you don't. The stone will tease you. I keep a spray bottle handy.

What is the loft on your 59?

Don't expect it to tree top like your 12k naniwa and remember to use plenty of water on that stone. Keep rinsing the slurry away. The slurry will blunt the edge in a hurry if you don't. The stone will tease you. I keep a spray bottle handy.

I measured the 59 at 26.4mm/56mm.

I already re-honed the Dorko and the RA with the round point. Started with slurry and did two dilutions before finishing on plain water. I even cleaned the surface and re-applied fresh water midway during the last phase. Indeed, after stropping, they don't treetop that much, but I'll see how I did during tomorrow's shave. I'm not sure of the relevance of these tests.

The stone seems to be on the hard side. It took some time to lap it with a 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper and there was no visible auto-slurry when used with water. It felt more close to the 3k Naniwa if that makes any sense.

All in all, I'm happy and curious about tomorrow!

P4070494-11.jpg P4070496-11.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The stone seems to be on the hard side. It took some time to lap it with a 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper and there was no visible auto-slurry when used with water. It felt more close to the 3k Naniwa if that makes any sense.
The stone looks beautiful. Seeing as I just got me a 3k naniwa, I know exactly what you are feeling. Wait until the blade starts sticking to the stone.
My coticule is on the soft side and will auto-slurry, so I am thinking of getting another one that is hopefully harder. Each coticule is different, mine has more garnets on one end, so it acts differently on that side.

The stone looks beautiful. Seeing as I just got me a 3k naniwa, I know exactly what you are feeling. Wait until the blade starts sticking to the stone.
My coticule is on the soft side and will auto-slurry, so I am thinking of getting another one that is hopefully harder. Each coticule is different, mine has more garnets on one end, so it acts differently on that side.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on how mine behaves and report back.

Maybe Jarred from the Superior Shave could help you with getting a harder one. My stone was chosen for me by the people at the quarry. I just asked for a selected stone suitable for SRs. I'll let you know how I feel about the edges I got.

Btw the size is great for x-strokes. Both in length and in width.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Maybe Jarred from the Superior Shave could help you with getting a harder one. My stone was chosen for me by the people at the quarry.
The only rectangular coticule that Jarrod is showing right now is 175mm x 40mm, and it is about the same price if I order direct from the quarry. Something about ordering directly from the quarry that actually mines the stone is appealing to me. When I ordered my trans ark from Dan's, I actually corresponded with the owner's wife, and she got me a terrific stone.

The only rectangular coticule that Jarrod is showing right now is 175mm x 40mm, and it is about the same price if I order direct from the quarry. Something about ordering directly from the quarry that actually mines the stone is appealing to me. When I ordered my trans ark from Dan's, I actually corresponded with the owner's wife, and she got me a terrific stone.

If they cost the same, then it makes perfect sense. They have more samples at hand. My communication with them was excellent.

Unfortunately, I didn't think about it when I made the order. I used a small 300 grit diamond plate I have to raise some slurry.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I didn't think to get one either, at the time I was really pinching the pennies and just used a small 400 grit lapping stone. Mine will auto-slurry but when one of the corners broke off I used that. I will definitely get a slurry stone with my next coticule.

My first shave with a Coticule edge yesterday was average. Apparently, I made too much slurry that dulled the edge, and didn't do enough passes later on to bring it back.

I re-honed both razors and today's shave was better. Smooth but I think I would prefer a slightly sharper edge. Tomorrow, I'll use the Dorko which was finished on Chromox and see if that will do the trick.

Fun times! :)

Top Bottom