What's new

SOTD - “The Gear that Started it All” Week - February 21st, 2022 to February 27th, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: 1941 Ranger Tech
Blade: Astra SP (5)
Brush: Parker Best Badger
Soap: Proraso White (1st Use)
Post Shave: Sterling Witch Hazel and Aloe

Decided to use the Ranger (for the first time) to see how it compared to my New LC. Noticeable better shave. Less Irritation all around. I'll keep this one in the mix for a while.

02262022.jpg

Sun 27 SOTD
Soap Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Silvertip
Razor Gillette Red Tip A3
Blade Silver Star Duridium 2nd
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
This soap reminded me of leathery & workshop scents...nice! The lather was creamy and slick enough...
Excellent shave with the razor paired with this vintage blade. Previous use was not as good. The difference today was - palm stropping, using a shim blade, and dipping the razor in ice water between rinsing. Crisp, comfortable & very efficient in 3passes for a dolphin smooth finish..awesome! Aftershaves were good as well...
20220227_084942.jpg

OKAY....OKAY....you want to see the "gear that started it all", so today you have it. Wellllll...most of it.
Missing hardware includes the Wilkinson blades. The missing software includes the Colonel Conk soap. It was either the Bay Rum or the Amber. Hell, I cant remember.

Soap: Catie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris
Brush: EJ Badger
Razor: Merkur 23c
Blade: My beloved Astra SP
AS: Band Aids and Clubman Pinaud. Or was it Clubman and Band Aids?

PXL_20220227_011948373.MP.jpg
This is how it used to be until I found B&B.
Thanks to all the great folks here!

02/27/22 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with HC&C Emperor Oud Soap Bar
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Agharta Conditioning Shampoo Puck
Southern Witchcrafts - Special Edition Shave Soap - Valley of Ashes
A&E Retro Shaving Brush for VIP members with 24mm G5C Premium Synthetic Fan Knot - 1st Use
Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl - Obsidian
Enders Vintage Rare Cream Mottled Speed Razor - 1st Use
with Handmade Injector Blade Adaptor by artisan Ian Ligocki
Schick Injector Blade - 1st Shave
Hendrix Classics & Co. The Boss Man's Assistant Microfiber Black Towel
Phoenix Shaving No Slip Grip Alum Block with Rubber Grip Band
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Alum Block Dry Dock System
Thayers Alcohol Free Lavender Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
Southern Witchcrafts - Special Edition Aftershave - Valley of Ashes
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Galactic Shea Butter Unrefined 100% Natural
Southern Witchcrafts - Special Edition Eau de Parfum - Valley of Ashes
Schmidt’s Charcoal + Magnesium Mineral Enriched Natural Deodorant

B IMG_0647.jpg

SOTD * The Gear that Started it All * Saturday Evening Feb 26, 2022

IMG_20220225_143703443.jpg

Razor:
$1 Assured TTO
Blade: Assured Unmarked DE Blade
Brush: Omega 10049 Boar Brush
Pre Shave: Noxzema
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Assured WH, Power Stick A/S Balm
Growth: 51 hours, 47 hours, 25 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG
Rating: 9.5/10, 9.6/10, 9.4/10

Results: In honor of the SOTD Theme Week “The Gear that Started it All”, I shaved 3 times this week with my original shave kit. DFS+ results. No bloodshed. Very Good Shaves!

About 3 1/2 years ago I began my Wet Shaving Journey on the mean streets of the Dollar Tree store where life is cheap & so is the merchandise. The decision to get the Dollar Tree Safety Razor was a Buy It & Try It impulse buy. I had never used a Safety Razor & did not know anyone who shaved with one.

My $1 safety razor is medium aggressive with large blade exposure & a lot of blade feel. Light weight with a very good grip that is short handled & easy to maneuver.

It’s no surprise that quality control on a $1 Chinese safety razor & blades is no bueno. The razor fell apart while YouTuber SinatraLennon was shaving with it. Luckily, I got a good one that still delivers good shaves. Also, once I graduated from unmarked Chinese blades to any branded blade, even Derby, the shave quality improved.

After starting out with cuts, irritation & bad shaves, I was determined to improve. Give the B&B SEO Manager a raise. I discovered B&B via Google searches on safety razors, wet shaving, shaving tips & how to lather Williams Mug Soap.

Cue the Rocky training montage. After shaving with this setup for 6 months, improving my technique & preparation, I was able to consistently get very good shave results. I triumphantly raised my razor skyward to salute the Shaving Gods on the top steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum. ADRIAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!

Even though I’ve acquired better shave gear since then, I’m glad I got the band back together for this last reunion tour.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
A1CDCBF3-B79B-459C-BDCA-736274950D99.jpeg

1) Italy: Brush Omega 10777.
2) Italy: Shaving Cream Cella Almond Shaving Cream.
3) England: Razor Gillette Goodwill.
4) Russia: Razor Blade Gillette Silver Blue.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: Aftershave Balm L’Oréal Men Expert Hydra Sensitive Aftershave Balm.
7) USA: EDT Calvin Klein Free For Men Cologne.

SOTD : 27th February 2022.

r.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Sea Salt & Fennel Extract 2 in1 Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Simple Pure Bar Soap.
Brush: Omega 49.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl : Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.
Lather: Williams Mug Shaving Soap.
Blade: Personna Gem modified PTFE. (D1)
Razor: Valet Auto Strop VC1.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./ Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Cien Aqua ASL./Nivea Men Fresh Kick ASB.

A relaxing Sunday morning shave.

I have mentioned before the valet vc1 looks an "aggressive lady" but IMHO it's quite mild however, that's not to say it isn't efficient this vintage lady will mow through stubble with ease after the limited time it takes to adjust to this mild but efficient razor.

The Williams Mug Shaving Soap provided a good slick lather leaving a excellent post shave feel...I have recently found out that it's no longer made which is a shame as being a budget shaver it was a firm favourite of mine....However, once i run out i can replace with Arko & Derby shave sticks.

Another enjoyable 2 pass + pick ups comfortable silky smooth shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a small dollop of Nivea Men Kick ASB.

My face is feeling silky smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Stay safe, and enjoy Sunday Ladies & Gentlemen. 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom