What's new

SOTD - “The Gear that Started it All” Week - February 21st, 2022 to February 27th, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy President’s Day, (or Family Day/Heritage Day/Louis Riel Day in Canada) B&Bers!

For this SOTD Theme Week, let’s see the shaving gear that started it all! Show us the razors, soaps, blades and brushes that started you down this crazy rabbit hole!

This weekly Theme is simple… post pics of your first shaving gear!

If you don’t have anything themed, post pics of your usual SOTD or just tell us about it! Just have some fun with it!👍

As always, being creative and having fun IS mandatory but sticking with the theme is NOT mandatory but very strongly encouraged.

Let’s see your starter setups!

Mon 21 SOTD
Soap Shannon's Soap Lavender Lemongrass
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice Tuxedo
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM PTFE 3rd
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Stirling MitA Splash
Wonderful soap!! Great scent, creamy and slick lather...love it!!
Another excellent shave with the razor paired with this excellent blade. So easy, smooth, comfortable, and very efficient. 3passes for a dolphin smooth finish. Aftershaves were great for a hot humid day.
20220221_101132.jpg

Menthol Monday SOTD
DSC05550.JPG

Razor: Jurgen Hempel Jarwin
Blade: Gillette Spoiler (D8)
Brush: Semogue 2021 Spanish Shavers Badger/Boar LE
Bowl: Supply Provision Marble 4.5"
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGLO Lavender
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Unscented
Shave Soap: Grooming Dept Custom Frosted Woodland
Balm: Saponificio Varesino Puro Burro di Karitè
Aftershave: TSD SubZero

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
5163DFF2-65E0-4F6D-9D66-028F43A70851.jpeg

1) China: Brush Jack the Barber Synthetic brush.
2) Italy: Shaving Soap Proraso White Tub.
3) England: Razor Gillette Goodwill.
4) Russia: Razor Blade Gillette Silver Blue.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Australia: Aftershave Balm Natio For Men Calming Aftershave Balm.
7) Spain: EDT Nautica Classic Cologne.

Monday, February 21, 2022.

Floid, oil pre shave. Tremonia Meißner & Bomarzo64: Absenta Fougére, shaving soap. H. L. El Druida, manchurian badger 27 mm, Seven rustic ebony. Jose Monserrat Pou: Filarmonica 13, stanley steel. Tremonia Meißner: Black aftershave, lotion & Milk. Lalique: Hommage à L'Homme Voyageur EdT.

38A1891C-7AF9-4775-8652-F2F576C8A9B1.jpeg

Monday, February 21, 2022

Nickel Fatip Piccolo OC Mark 1
Super-Max Diamond Edge SP 💎
Godrej Shave Round
Omega 81025 Boar bristle brush
Sacred Earth witch hazel & Tea Tree oil AS

Shave # 18 on the blade in the Mk1 Fatip Piccolo OC razor. Fantastic 2 pass DFS shave with touch ups.

I reach for the Mark 1 version more than the current Mark 2 razors. Bigger blade gap gives an extremely close shave.

The Godrej Shave Round was what I started off with in my early teens as it didn't aggravate or cause acne due to its drying post shave feel. I continued using it well in to the late teens and early 20s before graduating to a Gillette Trac 2 cart and old spice shave cream for regular daily shaves for work.

Godrej Shave Round is a glycerin soap with a faint, clean, old school clay like scent. Explodes in to lather very easily. The lather has low residual slickness with drying post shave feel. It's great for anyone for oily skin. Needs to be well loaded for a slicker lather.

The omega 81025 was my first good quality shave brush, a huge upgrade from cheap early synthetics of the 1990s. Excellent brush has served me faithfully for a long time. Sees much less use now with the plethora of other upmarket badger, boars and current day synthetics.

Nothing beats a good boar brush for face lathering soaps or creams.

1645425921290.jpg
20220221_120527.jpg

Last edited:
SOD Monday February 21, 2022

Up next is the following sampler from Southern Witchcrafts: Pomona

Named for the wood nymph guardian of fruit orchards, Pomona provides a perfect lead in to the Autumn season.

Notes: Apple, honey, red wine, spice, honeysuckle.

Please refer to the following for more details on this soap:

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Pre shave: None
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Pomona
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG
Blade: Feather HI Stainless (1)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion: None
Balm: Southern Witchcrafts Pomona

Have a great day!!
IMG_8904.jpg

SOTD #052/2022
21-Feb-2022
20220221_093047-01.jpeg

I already have parted with all the gear I had started with, thus I won't meet this week's theme...

Anyway, today I ended my participation in the "One blade in February challenge ". I got 21 shaves out of the Perma-Sharp, but now the blade definitely is done. Overall, the Perma-Sharp proved their reputation to be a sharp and lasting blade. Approx. 16 shaves, out of the 21 to date, have been nothing but excellent, close and smooth! A good blade.

Have a great start into the new week, y'all!

SOTD #052/2022
21-Feb-2022
View attachment 1413394

I already have parted with all the gear I had started with, thus I won't meet this week's theme...

Anyway, today I ended my participation in the "One blade in February challenge ". I got 21 shaves out of the Perma-Sharp, but now the blade definitely is done. Overall, the Perma-Sharp proved their reputation to be a sharp and lasting blade. Approx. 16 shaves, out of the 21 to date, have been nothing but excellent, close and smooth! A good blade.

Have a great start into the new week, y'all!
Beautiful red tip! They really are fantastic razors in my opinion the best one of the Super speed trio ( I have two red tips)

Monday SOTD- Gear That Started it All- today a one pass WTG SAS shave, no mishaps or irritation. Dad had a few Gillette razors in the house, a couple of Schick injectors, and I think a Gem/ER or two. Dad gave me a Superspeed to use, a can of shaving cream, and an aftershave. I used these items for several years before trying other stuff. It's hard to emulate my earliest shaves, as the stuff is no longer made, but this week I'll substitute similar items to show my progress from beginning to now.

Pre-shave: Face wash
Razor: Gillette Superspeed- this one is a B-1, 1957 I think. That would have been about right, as it was an older razor Dad gave to me.
Blade: Personna X series- which I'm not familiar with; received it in a blade PIF. As I can recall Gillette, Personna, and Wilkinson Swords being the blades we used, I just picked this one. I'm sure Mom bought whichever blades were on sale, as money was always pretty tight.
Cream: Barbasol canned- we had canned Barbasol and Noxema mostly. It was several years until I tried cream from a tube, and then afterwards tried Williams soap. I'll try some things that are similar as the week progresses. I didn't have my own brush until the sometime mid-1970s.
Post-shave- Barbasol Brisk- I can recall having Skin Bracer, Old Spice, Clubman, and something from Avon in the house. The first scent I bought on my own was English Leather.

It was fun reenacting my earliest shaves today. I borrowed the Barbasol from our guest-room bath, where I leave things for guests. I suppose either I learned something in the last 50+ years, or the razor and other stuff improved with age-LOL? Today's shave was a lot more comfy then I remember them being.

Enjoy your week!

PXL_20220221_161703950.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom