SOTD: 11/28/21
1BF9015D-A00D-4237-99A5-09691095ABA7.jpeg

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Bowl: Col Conk
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac 2 band silver tip
Shave Cream: Taylor of Old Bond St. Peppermint
Aftershave: Brut (not pictured) & Nivea post shave balm
Music: Johannes Brahms (Because? Why not! ☺️)

Last edited:
InShot_20211128_152954526.jpg

Sunday head shave

Preshave: RazoRock Charcoal Lime Pre Shave Soap in shower + Proraso Red Preshave cream
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V4
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (4)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Black Badger
Lather: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Aftershave: RazoRock XX splash + Nautica Voyage balm

Notes: Shave was so smooth that I skipped the Alum. Seeing how many headshaves I can stretch the Polsilver to in anticipation of my Wizamets arriving soon. Because my head is way more surface area then my face blades usually don't last as long as I usually toss them after three shaves. If i can get 5 from the Pollies/Wizzies then I will be a happy camper. Stirling soap such a breeze to lather and the black badger brush has slowly become one of my favourites to use even tho I gotta work the brush more.

SOTD- Relaxing Sunday shave- terrific; a three passes with clean up to BBS, no weepers or other mishaps:

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: RR Lupo Al
Blade: Feather DE (3) - not so sharp and nice today
Soap: Wholly Kaw- Dance of Agrumes
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 in Best
Post-shave: cool rinse, then some WK matching Dance of Agrumes splash

Have some great shaves!

PXL_20211128_165022145.jpg

SOD Sunday November 28, 2021
Second Shave of the day was a great way to freshen up behore heading out to a family event!
Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Shave Nation
Pre shave: None
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Samhain
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG
Blade: 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (1)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion: None
Balm: Southern Witchcrafts Samhain
IMG_8228.jpg

SOTD Sunday Afternoon November 28, 2021

Viva La Toja!

Razor:
King C. Gillette - mild but efficient heavy razor, slippery handle, on my Top 5 DE razors
Brush: Frank Shaving G5 Synthetic 24mm - soft tips, good scrub, backbone, splay, lather monster
Blade: KCG blade (1) - sharp & smooth winner! on my Top 5 DE blades
Soap: La Toja Shave Stick - lathers easily, peaky slick, creamy lather, smells good, good performer
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman A/S - smells great, mixed couple drops of glycerin for moisture
Growth: 52 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, cleanup
Rating: 9.65/10

Results: It's good to be the King. Relaxing Gillette Weekend shave. One nick on the chin, no tugging
or irritation. Cold water, face lathered, smooth, comfortable DFS result. Very Good Shave.

Feliz Navidad

IMG_20211128_091609609.jpg

That is a beautiful shaving brush.

Tim

Thank you very much :001_smile
It is a very special brush to me, it comes from a really cool group on Facebook (the only thing I miss about FB).
I know where the wood came from (Cahaba River, Alabama) who picked it, and who made it (Rob Moffett aka "That Darn Rob").
I have another a little smaller than this with a 2-band Silvertip knot - I really treasure those two brushes

Thank you very much :001_smile
It is a very special brush to me, it comes from a really cool group on Facebook (the only thing I miss about FB).
I know where the wood came from (Cahaba River, Alabama) who picked it, and who made it (Rob Moffett aka "That Darn Rob").
I have another a little smaller than this with a 2-band Silvertip knot - I really treasure those two brushes
Oh wow, Cahaba River - that is a blast from the past! I worked in Birmingham, AL and lived in Hoover between 2015 and 2017. The Cahaba River certainly is a beautiful area. Not surprised such a nice piece of wood came from its shores.

Tim

Over the years, I have tried various synthetic brushes for travel, as they can cope with being put away damp. I don't really like any of them compared with my natural badger or bristle brushes. They are always prickly and scratchy. The best one I have is made by Mühle. It is a very neat package in a chrome brass tube into which the brush reverses and has a metal threaded end so screws into the housing as a handle for use. I still don't like its brush a whole lot and when not travelling, would never be chosen for that morning's shave.
Wilson

PS Will give synthetics one more final go and have ordered a Simpsons Duke 3. I am away travelling (covid permitting) over Christmas and New Year and cannot put up with three weeks of the Muhle.

Last edited:
Over the years, I have tried various synthetic brushes for travel, as they can cope with being put away damp. I don't really like any of them compared with my natural badger or bristle brushes. They are always prickly and scratchy. The best one I have is made by Mühle. It is a very neat package in a chrome brass tube into which the brush reverses and has a metal threaded end so screws into the housing as a handle for use. I still don't like its brush a whole lot and when not travelling, would never be chosen for that morning's shave.
Wilson

PS Will give synthetics one more final go and have ordered a Simpsons Duke 3. I am away travelling (covid permitting) over Christmas and New Year and cannot put up with three weeks of the Muhle.
Have you had any that were decent at all?

A lot of people advocate for synthetic, but I’ve always liked the idea of badger, I’ve only owned one brush, now two, but all the reviews and recommendations always say to stay with badger and for the limited experience I’ve had with the one brush I’ve used for years, I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly.

I have been tempted to pick up a synthetic brush, just to give it a whirl.

Update on the Simpson's Duke 3 synthetic brush: A first use today of the new brush with a new pot of Taylor's of Old Bond Street Lavender shaving cream (horrible - it smells like a cheap floor cleaner and the lavender scent seems wholly synthetic, unlike l'Occitane cream, which used natural lavender oil but sadly seems no longer available, at least in the UK). The brush is far softer and less prickly than my Mühle synthetic. At the moment the knot seems a little bit too stiff and consequently too short. This may well soften up with some more use but perfectly pleasant to use. I will have to use it with a better quality cream/soap to give it a real try. The shave with the oldest of my three Stahly Live blade clockwork vibrating razors, was as always, superbly comfortable.

Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom