What's new

SOTD "Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Fall Week” NOVEMBER 22nd - November 28th, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
9E59D9AB-EF9E-4C99-8FE0-BFF0D616131C.jpeg

1) Germany: Brush Vintage Muhle Erzeugnisse Shaving Brush.
2) Ireland: Shaving Soap Natural Ireland Seaweed Shaving Soap.
3) USA: Razor Star DE safety razor.
4) South Korea: Razor Blade Dorco Prime Platinum.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Australia: Aftershave Balm Natio For Men Calming Aftershave Balm.
7) USA: EDT Calvin Klein Euphoria For Men Cologne.

20211126_121321-01.jpeg
SOTD #277/2021
26-11-2021

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Graydog Chechen x Shavemac D01 Silvertip 3-band badger
Soap: Zingari Man ~ Explorer
Razor: Mühle R94 Rocca
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (6)
Post shave: frigid tap water; Zingari Man ~ Explorer asb.

Enjoy your shaves, y'all!

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Ethos Unscnted
Brush
Rooney 1/3
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Pre-War Tech
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10
Comments
The day after Thanksgiving shave. Reverted to Ethos and the Tech razor today. The Rooney did a nice job of making lather. The Tech provided another nice, smooth shave. It is always a pleasure to use this razor. The first razor I purchased when I started shaving as a teenager was the Gillette adjustable AKN as the Fat Boy. I think I should have stuck to my father’s Tech instead of falling for the Gillette ads at the time. Have a great weekend, gents.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Nov26th 2021

Razor: Yaqi V2 Excalibur AC 50mm, Mfg 2021> excellent tame mid range, good design, top cap needs manually alignment because of issues from some V1 Excalibur(no problems with my V1). I get great shaves mostly & excellent shave results is the bottom line.
Blade: Schick proline P30 injector (3) sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Great AC blade compared to the rest IMO.
Soap: Ach Brito Lavanda cream, nice mild lavender scent, excellent lather qualities,(misted)
Brush: Yaqi Artic sky 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, great scrubber, excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Ach Brito Lavada AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(Balm) + scentless.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: excellent shave with Yaqi V2 Excalibur with a Schick P30 proline.
SOTD, Nov 26, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Razor: AutoStrop Valet VC4 (1940-1946?)
Blade: AutoStrop - “Valet” Vintage (5)
Brush: Dscosmetic - SHD Manchurian GelTip (26mm)
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
Lather: Chiseled Face - Ghost Town Barber (silk tallow base)
Aftershave: Strike Gold - The Gipper
7FCE1F43-B4AA-42F4-9DE0-9629F4C028E6.jpeg

Ghost town shave, the past comes back to pamper me.
I’ve been on a roll with my various Autostrops and various blade combos lately, and this pairing just clicked. I gave my vintage Valet blade 20 strops before it’s fifth outing and got wonderful results with it in my VC4.
Very smooth without the agressive feeling the Feather FAS-10(6) gave me, especially on that important first pass. Even though it seemed less agressive, it was still just as efficient.
I seem to have forgotten about Ghost Town Barber in my soap rotation and that was a mistake. If you want to judge the protective qualities of a soap, take it out for a spin with an Autostrop razor. GTB gets an A+. Top it all off with another ghost, and Ronnie will leave you smelling like a real man…right down to the gunpowder.

Black Friday shave was excellent; a three pass, clean shave with no weepers, and just a bit of ATG stubble can felt in a few spots:

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: RR Lupo Al
Blade: Feather DE (1) - sharp, and quite smooth in this razor
Soap: Stirling Varen- lovely lather
Brush: Zenith P2 budget boar
Post-shave: cool rinse, then some decanted Pinaud Clubman- felt the burn a bit today

Have a wonderful weekend!

PXL_20211126_155528394.jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Yesterday was
THANKSGIVING
25 November, 2021

______

Razor: RazoRock "Mamba 70"
Blade: Bic "Chrome Platinum"
Gel: Elegance Plus "Jupiter"
Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
Frag: Caron "Yatagan"

Developed some bad time
management habits here.
Had to gel again while

running late.

The Bic Chrome Platinum
sure is proving to be
a mighty fine blade.

Would have scored higher
than a 9/10 had I allowed
myself sufficient time.

TG dinner was a treat, though.
Good food and good company.

Bottom line: No nicks, no cuts, no whiskers.

Stay healthy,

Bill

SOD Friday November 26, 2021
Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub or tube of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!
Just used the Red Balm for the first time. Excellent scent!
Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Shave Nation
Pre shave: None
Lather: Proraso Red (71)
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion: None
Balm: Proraso Red Dopobarba
Have a great day!
IMG_8215.jpg

884877A4-8F88-45E7-A41F-63EFD1848175.png

3E9F4E69-CBE5-4956-9AE6-AC783FF1E90E.png

SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 26, 2021

According to the John Hawley Trust, “Henry Hobson (1823-1897) was born in Sheffield, the son of Edward Hobson and his wife, Hannah. In 1842, Henry married Ann, the only daughter of John Pearce, a cutlery dealer and razor manufacturer on Angel Street in Sheffield. Hobson became Pearce’s manager, but in 1845 launched his own cutlery dealership with his younger brother John B. Hobson. However, in 1852 Henry and John dissolved Hobson Bros, and henceforth Henry operated alone and founded his own cutlery company, H. Hobson, that stayed in his family through the next two generations and lasted until 1930. “ Henry Hobson Sr., the founder, died at Ilkley, Yorkshire, on 29 July 1897, aged 74.

This full H. Hobson wedge holds a great edge, but requires three layers of tape to hone and maintain the proper bevel angle. Coming off that great little Neistrom 4/8 mug shave yesterday, this full wedge did feel a bit less maneuverable. I was still able to complete two great scything passes on the troublesome, swirling neck stubble on either side of the Adam’s Apple, and with some final flatblading to smooth things out nicely. My preference in razor grinds are hollow and rattler grinds, but this old wedge delivered the goods, leaving my mug dolphin smooth, as a Scot shaving buddy is fond of saying.

In 1935 the French company Leresche (of Swiss origins) listed their patent application for the #77 razor. This 4 piece razor has a unique guard bar (like shark jaws) which is incorporated into the upper cap of the head. The head is also slightly wider than a typical razor's head allowing the shave angle to be found more easily. The design locks the blade in tight, making for a highly efficient shave. Originally these razors were silver plated and weigh almost 70 grams. I find the Leresche #77 razor to be both smoother and more efficient than my 2011 Muhle R41. Two ATG passes left me porcelain smooth from dome to shoulders.

RAZOR: H. Hobson Full Wedge 6/8 (Mug), Leresche 77 (Dome)
BLADE: Wilkinson Sword DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom