What's new

SOTD - “Supporting Vendor Week - “Heirloom Razor Strop Co.” May 30th, 2022 to June 5th, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 Ranger Tech w/Stirling Mountain Man soap
IMG_9322.JPG

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat, June 4th 2022

Razor : Gillette Fatboy E4- Mfg 1959 4th qtr, excellent adjustable IMO, I receive excellent shaves on (settings 7,7, pickups 8) well built. Birthday year razor!
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP, Sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Speick, nice spicy mild fragrance with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi 24mm Ferrari Boar Bristle- Excellent lather generator, soft split end bristles, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock American barber with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Gillette Fatboy with a 7oClock SP.
SOTD June 4 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Saturday morning June 4 -- MWF June now...

Razor: Supply matte black 2.0 injector with SE comb plate / Supply Black Label (4)
Brush: Semogue Owners Club (SOC) cherrywood handle refitted with 24mm Tuxedo synthetic knot
Soap: MWF in Kent beechwood bowl

I see by my notes that my last shave was very late on Sunday night so I had a five-day-and-a-few-hours stubble to hack down. I washed thoroughly with soap and hot water first, to soften the hayfield as much as possible. If I don't, I find the blade (whatever blade I am using) has a much more noticeable tendency to tug.

The SOC Tuxedo did its usual excellent job of face lathering the MWF. This brush started as the Semogue SOC two-band badger. The cherrywood handle was lovely, but I found the original knot to be a total disappointment. The badger seemed thinly packed compared to others and felt too floppy as a result. Plus it shed hairs. So Jason @jtspartan at TSD very kindly drilled it out for me and installed my replacement Tuxedo knot (from APShaveCo). It's now one of my favourite brushes.

The new Supply SE injector has a comb that Supply claims makes it nick-free, even for new shavers or recent converts from multi-blade cartridge razors. From my experience, the claim is valid. I made two rapid and relatively carefree or even downright careless passes, first WTG and then XTG. I went from hayfield to virtually BBS in less than two minutes. No blood, no razorburn, and the alum was totally silent.

At least one user has said that the new Black Label blades do start out sharp but degrade very quickly. On its fourth outing, this one was perfectly sharp, even when confronting dense stubble...

I ended with a probably unnecessary spritz of witch hazel. I have been trying a Thayers bottle with a spritz cap rather than the more common pouring top. I find I like it -- instead of a palmful of witch hazel putting a heavy splash everywhere, the spray top puts a light misting of witch hazel on my skin, which is all that is really needed. I then finished everything off with a dash of Osage Rub for that icy cold tingle that works better than an IV of caffeine as a morning wake-up.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
View attachment 1466800
Gillette Super Adjustable 84
Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
Ach Brito Musgo soap
Omega 011842 boar
Vintage Old Spice AS and cologne
My Connaught Omega Jade boar doesn't have the little "I don't know the proper term" emblem on it..... but I'm breaking it in now and it's already soft with hmmm probably 10 or so wet/dry cycles.

20210806_084326.jpg

Razor: Gillette The New Short Comb, Common Bar
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

My Connaught Omega Jade boar doesn't have the little "I don't know the proper term" emblem on it..... but I'm breaking it in now and it's already soft with hmmm probably 10 or so wet/dry cycles.
The first batch of these brushes from Connaught had the emblem I believe. The brush only gets better with use and is my favorite brush period.

The first batch of these brushes from Connaught had the emblem I believe. The brush only gets better with use and is my favorite brush period.

I just got my Connaught Jade Boar brush and am loving it so far. I know it will continue to get better, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it is after just a couple wet/dry cycles before I started using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom