What's new

SOTD - “Supporting Vendor Week - “Colonel Conk” May 9th to, 2022 to May 15th, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
2022-05-14

Ikea Bowl ¤ Semogue Pharos C3, Horse ¤ 6/8" Kikuokan 77
Nanny's Lime ¤ Myrsol Agua De Limón ¤ Alvarez Gómes Cologne

proxy.php

SOTD #106/2022
13-May-2022

■ Mistura May Madness ■ Modern May Challenge ■

20220514_120030-01.jpeg

2 passes with some touchups. A very enjoyable shave with the Karve CB (SB G-plate) loaded with a Personna Platinum Chrome (2). Close, dramafree and still smooth.

Enjoy your shaves, y'all!

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Cera Ve Hydrating Facial Cleaner
Soap/Cream
Ethos Unscented
Brush
Paladin Chief
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Henson AL 13 Medium
Blade
Personna Med Prep
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso ASB
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10
Comments
Trying the Henson AL 13 with a RK blade. When I tried this blade in the Ti version of the Henson I was not impressed. This time around it did a decent job. I will use this combo a few more times to see how the blade holds up. This is the 64th shave with the Ethos unscented soap. A nice, easy BBS early morning shave. Have a good one, folks.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Modern May Challenge

Fatip Friday

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Derby Extra (1)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Ω10048 28mm boar brush
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by waterboarding with a cold, damp binky
Lather: Col Conk Unscented, face-lathered
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream

Didn’t soak the Ω piggy in cold water as long as I soaked the Whipped Dog piggy the other night and could feel the difference a little. The Ω10048 has been used a lot more than the Whipped Dog and its ease in developing an explosion of lather was also experienced.

@Esox has mentioned that a fresh Derby Extra in a Fatip Grande is a good combo for someone bent on shaving steep and ATG for the entire shave. Good call, Mike! Worked like a charm and I was close enough for the win quickly and comfortably.

2A81EA83-1030-4845-8326-7FBC729F800C.jpeg

SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, MAY 14, 2022

Wet-shaving appeals to many different demographics, but this morning I’d like to talk briefly about what vintage shaving hardware holds for me. The aspects of primary interest are both the history and stories attached to many of the vintage tools I enjoy shaving with which includes both razors I shaved with this morning. With respect to my mug shave, the LeCoultre Au Sentier Frameback straight razor was both revolutionary and the height of luxury for its day (1860’s). The razors were advertised as having to be only sharpened/honed once every 10 years. The Rockwell hardness of the replaceable blades made for these razors was around 64, basically equivalent to the very hard Swedish steel of straight razor brands like CV Heljestrand and Klas Tornblom. In addition, taking inflation into account, the same razors today would cost between $140 - $212. The descendant of the Swiss Jacques LeCoultre blacksmithing company that gave birth to this remarkable razor is the contemporary Swiss watch-making concern, Jaeger-LeCoultre.

I own two of these incredible razors, an entry level model with wood scales and the apex model with ivory scales with which I shaved my mug this morning. I spent most of yesterday honing razors. The entry level model has always shaved beautifully, but I’d never been happy with the edge on the ivory scaled model. We’ve all encountered straight razors that don’t yield to our regular honing routines. Despite my best efforts, I just couldn’t seem to put a shaving edge on this dang razor! And this was despite the razor passing the tap and wobble test; it was flat as a pancake! A quick phone call to my friend, Glen Mercurio, a honemeister with three decades of experience resolved the issue. I routinely hone my hollows, rattlers, and framebacks with a single layer of tape. Wedges are a different story. Glen explained that due to the hardness of the LeCoultre blades and frustration with trying to hone them, many attempted to sharpen them as they would a knife by lifting the blade up off the hone. He suggested three layers of tape which I use with my wedge blades. That did the trick, and my three pass mug shave this morning went according to Hoyle, leaving my face dolphin smooth.

The Schick F Type used for my noggin shave has an interesting story as well. The razor, a college graduation gift, belonged to then Second Lieutenant Robert McKeever who took it off to the war in the Pacific against the Japanese. Lieutenant McKeever was badly wounded during the battle for Okinawa. His life was saved from grenade shrapnel by his mess kit which contained this razor and other toiletries. Unfortunately, he died from those very same wounds 17 yrs after discharge in 1958. For whatever reason, he kept both the mess kit and this razor, supposedly damaged beyond repair. His daughter, Chloe, my neighbor, knowing I was a shave nerd, gave it to me when I helped clean out his things a few years ago. Fortunately, a very talented shave brother (@twhite) at TSD, my main shave hangout, was gracious enough to repair the razor and bring it back into service. Every time I shave my noggin with this razor I think of the original owner. My two pass ATG noggin shave this morning was excellent leaving me glassine smooth from noggin to neck. As caretaker for both these shaving tools, I hope to pass the F Type on to my grandson, Kevin, and the LeCoultre Au Sentier straight razor to his father, Ben.

RAZOR: LeCoultre Au Sentier Frameback #2 Blade (Mug), Schick F Type (Dome)
BLADE: Supply Black Injector
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE LE #005 Aluminum Handled SynBad Knot
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime AS Splash (Indian Version)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat, May 14th

Razor : Gillette Super speed Version Rocket- Mfg 1952, nice milder razor to use, l like to use a extra wide Kai blade in my milder razors.
Blade : Kai SS (1) sharp & smoooth + excellent longevity. Wider than a standard Gillette blade. Good blade for a boost in efficentcy.
Soap : Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi barber pole 24mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice scrubber, great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Gillette SS razor with a extra wide Kai SS blade.
SOTD May 14 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

SOTD Saturday May 14, 2022

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Pre: None
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Druantia
Razor: Feather ASD2
Blade: Feather
Razor: Gillette Styler
Have a great day!

IMG_9666.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
@Esox has mentioned that a fresh Derby Extra in a Fatip Grande is a good combo for someone bent on shaving steep and ATG for the entire shave. Good call, Mike! Worked like a charm and I was close enough for the win quickly and comfortably.

I cant use them ATG first pass, but they work great for me in a 3 pass shave.

IMG_8008.jpg

May 14, 2022
  • Brush: Yaqi Rainbow Synthetic
  • Razor: Wolfman WR1 .61 OC/.48 SB Ti
  • Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (5)
  • Lather: 𝕊ℍ𝔸𝕍𝔼⭐𝔻𝔸ℕ𝔻𝕐 - Coconut Cow Cream
  • Post Shave: House of Mammoth - Sonder - Aftershave
  • Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve - Fresca Intensa - Eau de Toilette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom