What's new

🏝️ 🎣 ⛳️ SOTD - “Sticks and Samples Week!” - March 13th, 2023 to March 19th, 2023 🏝️ 🎣 ⛳️

Status
Not open for further replies.
full

Razor: Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Brush: Omega, 011842 Boar (Connaught Jade)
Soap: Canada Shaving Soap
Post Shave: Duke Cannon, After-Shave Balm

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

Sticks and Samples Week!​

As I was looking through my shave sticks for something to use for today's SOTD, I pulled something out from the dark depths of my soap storage. A PAA ClubGuy shave stick. Man, I forgot about this one! I purchased this many years ago from one of the online retailers to fill up the free shipping threshold. It was my first exposure to a PAA Crown King soap base. What a revelation that was! This one measly $5 purchase led to years of diving deep into PAA soaps and hardware. The performance on this stuff is super good! Now, mind you, this is not some random shave stick container that I stuffed some tub soap into! It came from PAA this way! Back in the day, PAA used to sell their CK soaps in shave sticks for travel. The bonus is that when you are done with your PAA soap, you can shove a stick of Arko right in there! Recycle and Reuse! Like all the CK base soaps, this one is super slick, and has a great post shave feel. This is from way before CK-6, but the original CK formula still stands up today. And that is why Douglas still offers the original CK formula and the CK-6 formula. I wish B&M would still offer some of their older bases to compliment Omnibus. And that smell of Clubman powder is just what you would think it is. A great all around soap with a fabulous scent!

Of course I needed to finish this shave with a self-made personal sample of actual Clubman aftershave! I often will syphon off a little aftershave sample for my frequent travels. I use these little hot sauce dasher bottles from amazon, and they work really well.

For the hardware, I used my venerable Wolfman WR2 in 1.15 with a light blue box Platinum (4). And a Paladin Cleo in Briar.

This shave was top notch!

2023-03-14 08.39.22.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Tuesday March14th 2023

Razor : Yaqi "SLOPE" 316 SS slant + Yaqi Chippendale 316 SS polished handle-Mfg Jan 2023, mild to tame mid range depending on blade used and how mature your technique is. Excellent machining and finish QC mostly and is adequate for my shaving needs. This is a very enjoyable razor and has a unique slope bar with machined torsion clamping of blade incorporated into this design. One of a kind design and I enjoy slant razors but you will not find one quite like this design as of yet. I enjoyed this razor with the Kai SS extra wide blade that gave a stellar excellent shave this morning.
Blade : Kai SS Extra wide(7) sharp & Smoooth with excellent longevity. One of my favorite blades + superior to any shimming IMO.
Soap : Ogallala Bayrum sage & cedarwood, nice Bayrum scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Moka Express" 26mm 2 band badger, Excellent lather generator, big pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber that 2 band badgers are well noted for + great lather painter. Big handle with nice big knot.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum + Sandal wood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi SLOPE slant with a Kai Extra wide blade.
SOTD March 14 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Schick Type L
Blade: Schick (1)
Brush: Yaqi synthetic
Soap: Mama Bear’s Sleigh Ride
Balm: St. James of London Black Pepper & Lime
Aftershave: Bootleggers El Dorado

The Sleigh Ride is a sample and I use it as if it were a stick; rubbing it on my face and then face-lathering.

BA2ADBC5-09E7-4A4A-9D08-1592C1C6628F.jpeg

EC803EFE-F6F5-41BF-A285-5736FCF20ED5.jpeg

8CB8FBB0-F7EC-4FC7-B554-321BCC2D5734.jpeg

Razor: Carbon Shaving Company Cx-316L /Web (.71mm “-” base plate) w/ R2 handle
Blade: RK (green)

Soap: Stirling Soap Company Tsuka
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready w/ High Mountain White Badger
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Company Tsuka
Finish: Stirling Soap Company Tsuka EdT

Today I went with the mild base plate for the Carbon Shaving Co. Cx-316L. You might say to yourself why? Why choose a less aggressive base plate after using the original, +, and ++ base plates? Why not just use one of those again and skip the mild? Well, let me tell you. I'm a very curious person, always have been, so I want to try everything I can at least once. I mean, why not?

I started off with a brand new RK blade which is a brand I've never used before. The blade wrap was green and it fit with my theme today so I figured what the heck. To my surprise, this razor and blade combination worked out quite well.

The blade feel was toned down but I didn't find the razor any less capable. I did do a four-pass shave so I didn't leave much room for anything less than a bbs shave. But I still felt that this razor (with the - plate) wasn't any less worthy of owning. It may be titled mild but it's not mild in the absolute sense. It's more in comparison to the other base plates in my opinion.

I felt Tsuka was a good choice for software today as it has a sultry warmth about it that's really good for a cold rainy day. With its top notes of citrus and lavender, middle floral notes of jasmine, iris, lily of the valley, and Bulgarian rose followed by base notes that are a rich composition of moss, cedar, tonka, vanilla, chocolate and amber, you can see what I mean by sultry and warm.

When done with the whisker whacking I splashed on some Tsuka aftershave and sprayed on some matching EdT. This left me enveloped in Tsuka goodness and was a great way to end my shave.

All in all, I think the mild base plate for the Carbon Shaving Co. razor is a good one. Especially if you have sensitive skin. And when paired with a quality shaving soap like the kind Stirling Soap Co. make, you have a recipe for success.

Thanks for reading everyone and enjoy your shaves.

Gillette 1956 red tip super speed
Shark blade
Palmolive soap
Made rite vintage nylon brush 34c
Jade east aftershave
Murray's 50 / 50 pomade

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1678826465638.jpg
    FB_IMG_1678826465638.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 11
  • FB_IMG_1678819956035.jpg
    FB_IMG_1678819956035.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 11
  • FB_IMG_1678819970730.jpg
    FB_IMG_1678819970730.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 11
Pre-shave: Saponificio Varesino "Burro di Ilipé"
Brush: Asylum Works "Scanlon"
Lather: Crabtree & Evelyn "Moroccan Myrrh"
Razor: Gillette Gold Tech
Blade: Personna "Super"
Witch hazel: Thayers "Lavender"
Alum block: Osma
After shave balm: Crabtree & Evelyn "Moroccan Myrrh"

2023-03-14.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
0A88209C-18F8-4FF4-90DD-4F1CA2BCE87A.jpeg

1) China: Brush Yaqi Rainbow No 26 Synthetic Horsehair.
2) Ireland: Shaving Soap Natural Ireland Seaweed Shaving Soap.
3) USA: Razor Gillette NDC Gold Ball End Tech.
4) Pakistan: Razor Blade Treet Platinum.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Sensitive Skin and Stubble Balm.
7) Spain: EDT Adidas Ice Dive Cologne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom