What's new

⚾️ 🏈 🏏 ⚽️ “SOTD - Sports Theme Week” January 10th, 2022 to January 16th, 2022 ⛳️ ⛷ 🎣 🚴‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Fine Friday SOTD

DSC_8278 (1).png

Stando SE “Rod” / Schick Proline
WCS Two-Tone Tall Red/White 26mm Silvertip
Fine Accoutrements American Blend Shaving Soap & AS​

RAZOR : Rockwell 6c (Gunmetal) plate #4
SOAP : Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
BLADE : Treet Platinum (2nd use)
BRUSH : Simpson Trafalgar T3
POST SHAVE : Cold Water rinse followed by Thayers witch hazel, alum block and PAA Tombstone aftershave & Cologne

The Ghost Town Barber soap and Trafalgar T3 are new additions to the shave den and both were fantastic! I must say the Ghost Town Barber paired very well with the PAA Tombstone aftershave!
20220113_195823.jpg
20220114_040205.jpg

SOTD #014/2022
14-Jan-2022
20220114_103720-01.jpeg

A zen-like shave. Due to the substantial blade gap/exposure of the Karve G-plate (1.36mm with +0.25mm exposure) I focused on a light touch, slowed down and literally applied zero pressure. The sharp yet super smooth Polsilver Stainless amplified the shaving comfort, a great blade for my face.

I was rewarded with a perfect shave. 2 passes, no touch-ups, no pink lather - not even a hint of a tiny nick. It's been my best shave with this plate thus far.

Have some great shaves, y'all!

D6F7DF77-7447-46AD-9593-31B573928242.jpeg

SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, JANUARY 14, 2022

My son has been pushing me to shave with a Japanese Kamisori from his collection. Ben collects primarily Japanese western style straights, but also has close to 60 vintage Kamisori. He claims that this particular Kamisori is 250 years old. I would dispute that. It was, according to Ben, found in a Japanese warehouse where it had apparently been stored for 80 years or so. It bears the four stamps identifying it as tamahagane or Japanese gem steel.

This vintage Japanese kamisori one piece straight razor blade rather appears to be the type used for shaving over 100 years ago in Japan. The makers of samurai swords turned to the making of these blades during the Meiji Era (1868 - 1912) when sword making became illegal. So that would make it about 190 years old at the oldest to a little over 100 years at the youngest.

If it was made by a master Japanese blademaker, as Ben related, in the tradition of the samurai sword with laminated forged high carbon steel that is reputed to hold an edge like no other in the world, then I needed more verification. So I called my old friend, Toshio Tatara who reviewed the Kanji. Written on the blade are the words, "Betsu uchi" (specially made) that might tend to indicate such blade construction. This was, of course, mostly supposition on my part

There’s clearly no doubt that this little shaving knife is certainly melting hair, scary sharp. I considered redoing the bevel, but after a HHT and a styrofoam peanut test that awed me. It didn’t just pop through the surface. But rather guillotined it right through to the towel below with just the weight of the blade. I decided to shave as is. Was I nervous? You betcha! Given the level of sharpness demonstrated, I ran it through the constroption and then did 80 strokes on my roo-skin bench strop.

I will say that the shave was amazing, albeit much, much slower than usual, as I worked slowly and one-handed to keep the stamped side out. I really took my time using the short strokes my son recommended, as opposed to my normal long strokes with my western straights. After the first pass there were only a few scattered patches requiring cleanup, and those were the usual whisker swirls on either side of the Adam’s Apple.

Following that first WTG pass, my face above the jawline was as smooth as it normally would be after my two longer stroke passes with one of my western straights. I chose to do flatblading on the neck areas - as scything strokes seemed too risky - to finish up, and that finish left me as smooth as glass. Great respect developed for this little Japanese shaving knife this morning.

If I ever have to effortlessly remove more than 24 hrs of growth, this is the little tool for the job. Ben has ordered a similar vintage tamahagane Kamisori from a vendor he knows in Japan for my upcoming birthday. The noggin shave with the wonderful Rex Ambassador that followed, cleaned up my dome in the usual two ATG passes. What does one say, however, after such an amazing dome shave? Well one thing’s for sure! I could definitely grow to like these little asymmetrically ground Japanese shaving knives!

RAZOR: Vintage Tamahagane Kamisori (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water rinse with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with RR Blue Floid AS Dupe Splash.

View attachment 1393539
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, JANUARY 14, 2022

My son has been pushing me to shave with a Japanese Kamisori from his collection. Ben collects primarily Japanese western style straights, but also has close to 60 vintage Kamisori. He claims that this particular Kamisori is 250 years old. I would dispute that. It was, according to Ben, found in a Japanese warehouse where it had apparently been stored for 80 years or so. It bears the four stamps identifying it as tamahagane or Japanese gem steel.

This vintage Japanese kamisori one piece straight razor blade rather appears to be the type used for shaving over 100 years ago in Japan. The makers of samurai swords turned to the making of these blades during the Meiji Era (1868 - 1912) when sword making became illegal. So that would make it about 190 years old at the oldest to a little over 100 years at the youngest.

If it was made by a master Japanese blademaker, as Ben related, in the tradition of the samurai sword with laminated forged high carbon steel that is reputed to hold an edge like no other in the world, then I needed more verification. So I called my old friend, Toshio Tatara who reviewed the Kanji. Written on the blade are the words, "Betsu uchi" (specially made) that might tend to indicate such blade construction. This was, of course, mostly supposition on my part

There’s clearly no doubt that this little shaving knife is certainly melting hair, scary sharp. I considered redoing the bevel, but after a HHT and a styrofoam peanut test that awed me. It didn’t just pop through the surface. But rather guillotined it right through to the towel below with just the weight of the blade. I decided to shave as is. Was I nervous? You betcha! Given the level of sharpness demonstrated, I ran it through the constroption and then did 80 strokes on my roo-skin bench strop.

I will say that the shave was amazing, albeit much, much slower than usual, as I worked slowly and one-handed to keep the stamped side out. I really took my time using the short strokes my son recommended, as opposed to my normal long strokes with my western straights. After the first pass there were only a few scattered patches requiring cleanup, and those were the usual whisker swirls on either side of the Adam’s Apple.

Following that first WTG pass, my face above the jawline was as smooth as it normally would be after my two longer stroke passes with one of my western straights. I chose to do flatblading on the neck areas - as scything strokes seemed too risky - to finish up, and that finish left me as smooth as glass. Great respect developed for this little Japanese shaving knife this morning.

If I ever have to effortlessly remove more than 24 hrs of growth, this is the little tool for the job. Ben has ordered a similar vintage tamahagane Kamisori from a vendor he knows in Japan for my upcoming birthday. The noggin shave with the wonderful Rex Ambassador that followed, cleaned up my dome in the usual two ATG passes. What does one say, however, after such an amazing dome shave? Well one thing’s for sure! I could definitely grow to like these little asymmetrically ground Japanese shaving knives!

RAZOR: Vintage Tamahagane Kamisori (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water rinse with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with RR Blue Floid AS Dupe Splash.
Awsome write-up. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

SOTD #014/2022
14-Jan-2022
View attachment 1393532

A zen-like shave. Due to the substantial blade gap/exposure of the Karve G-plate (1.36mm with +0.25mm exposure) I focused on a light touch, slowed down and literally applied zero pressure. The sharp yet super smooth Polsilver Stainless amplified the shaving comfort, a great blade for my face.

I was rewarded with a perfect shave. 2 passes, no touch-ups, no pink lather - not even a hint of a tiny nick. It's been my best shave with this plate thus far.

Have some great shaves, y'all!
A very good razor ..

I like that, plate G is very effective and efficient.🤩👌👍

Friday
Pre-shave: Perricone MD Super Clean Face Wash /Baxter Beard Line-Up Shave Gel
Razor: RazoRock German 37
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: EverReady 200 Restore w/Whipped Dog Silvertip
Soap: C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream
Aftershave: Alum/Thayer’s Peach Witch Hazel/Pinaud Clubman
Balm: Jack Black Clean Break Oil-Free Moisturizer

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Cera Ve Hydrating Facial Cleaner
Soap/Cream
Noble Otter Monarch
Brush
Shavemac 28mm Syn
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Feather AS-D2
Blade
Feather
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Mysterium Serum
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
A nice easy shave today. Planning a weekend getaway so an earl a.m. shave. Have a good day and weekend, B&Bers.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Fri, Jan 14th, 2021

Razor: Yaqi V2 Excalibur AC 50mm. Mfg 2021> Great design, tame mid range, small head parts, carefree shaving mostly, one of my favorites. Work over a wash cloth because of small parts I have concluded. Great daily driver IMO.
Blade: Feather AC Professional(3) Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity for a 50mm blade.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco, nice citrus scent on a cold winter day + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Goblin 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub, excellent painter + great handle!
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion + scentless.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi V2 Excalibur with a Feather Pro blade.
SOTD Jan 14 , 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom