What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

Long post because a large backload of teas to cover. Again, this time of the year has meant generally great sessions.

The first tea is the 2008 XZH Blessings Iron, my old trusty reliable. The taste has always been small like a factory tea, and sort of hard to describe and easy to confuse, in memory, as being similar to other teas when that's not the case. It has its own balance and nuance, with good mouthfeel, aftertaste and qi. I certainly like this tea more than teas like that 2015 XZH Lanyin, which is much more refined but much less substantial than I'd like.

The aroma is mostly a certain honeysuckle floral sort of sweetness with some herbal and wood notes. Later brews tends to have more of a focus on a fruit or herbly-roasted carrot sweetness. The taste generally tends to be very ambiguous with a somewhat mineral milk base taste with wood, herbal as in basil/oregano, and a sweet chicory note. There can be some nice honeysuckle here and there. The mouthfeel is good with decent viscosity with a pudding-ish texture and light astringency. Aftertaste tends to have an unusual and interesting sweet chicory mouthcoat, consistently develops a very good yun, and has some mouthcoat along with the cooling feeling. Qi is strong, but not sure how to relate the feeling--it has a sense of both gathering and release. Durability is quite good, and I didn't finish before having to throw it out.

With as much as I take out of this bing, this is probably the high-end tea I drink most frequently, probably because the high-endedness of it is pretty subtle in the end. Just like drinking a Xiaguan tie-bing, but... not factory tea... I wish this tea was sold more often. I don't trust the regular 250g version that does show up on FB auction from time to time to be the same. My memory of 250g version was that it's a lot like the '09 XZH Xicontianxiang, and not as much like the same name 450g tie-bing.

The next tea is the 2006 XZH Youle. It really feels like to me that a good Youle is essentially a very exotic and fruity northern Bulang tea. This tea specifically had a very good day.

Aroma is basically dried apricots and a sense of beta-carotene and squash-nuttiness that I'm calling rutabega. There can be some honey in there, and late aroma tends to have some or mostly is wood. Leaves good aroma in empty cups. Early taste has dried apricots, rutabega, a bit of tcm bitter, and a high and soft choco. It can be a touch sour. Mid session taste tends to have a more prominent tcm bitter and varying proportion of dried apricots/rutabega vs deeper choco and aromatic wood. Somewhat late taste has tcm bitter with a touch of choco and wood, and very late taste is to a more generic apricotty taste with a touch of wood. Mouthfeel tends to be a good viscosity with oily texture with a mild astringency. The aftertaste game was very good. There was lots of cooling and other feelings in mouth, some numbing of tonguetip, and lots of feeling going down throat. There is a very active aftertaste in the throat that often feels like a yun with a very shallow pungent huigan. Some forest floral mouth aroma. There usually was a decent to good mouthcoat that has a lingering bitterness adding to the flavors, and the mouthcoat lasted past other aftertasts deep into the session. The qi was very strong with a fairly active feeling that is reminiscent of what a lot of old good quality puerh does, like an interior sea washing against inner borders of your frame. Durability was excellent.

This one of the very best of teas, with the primary "flaw" is that it could be a little less loose and more dense in taste, bit in the same way one could wish this is true of the taiji lbzs. There is only a small difference in quality between this Youle and good LBZ. It might be a sentiment related to storage in a way--I don't like the TW stored version of this tea nearly as much.

Now, the 2006 YQH Shenpin Chawang. Still really good. Less woody than it usually is. Very similar to the '09 YQH Shengyun Tiancheng this time around.

Aroma tends to be plummy with a caramel bend, and can have a distinct Hawaiian Punch fruitiness in the earlier-mid session. There can be faint mineral and/or wood in the aroma as well. Taste is pretty consistently a deep plumminess with an overtone of choco. There is a touch of sourness, and hints of wood, fruit punch. There is also pretty consistently a certain subtle caramel sweetness that is probably a fast yiwu huigan. The taste eventually rises to being mostly a plummy note in the late brews with a bit of mineral and papery wood. For a stretch of very late brews, the plumminess is distinctly a hongchapu lightly sour plummy that suggests some of the fresh leaves oxidized a bit before shaqing. Some cups gives a sensation of sweetness to that plummy as well. When I brewed hard late in the session, I got a bit of bitterness that's still there then. As with the Youle, mouthfeel is a good thickness with an oily texture, and it's more round and smooth than the Youle. Astringency can build up as one drinks the cup in early brews, however. It's not super thick like the '09 YQH Shenyun Tiancheng, tho'. Aftertastes tends to be a strong mouthcoat that melting astringency tends to add to, along with a bit of yun. Other than the suspected caramel, a couple of cups had yiwu huigan to fruitiness. Qi was great, it was very strong with good feeling, but it wasn't obviously positive tilt like it can be, but I couldn't make a complaint about my mood as I drank this tea. I brewed this tea over two days, so it lasted a very long way, particularly during the hongchapu phase.

This is a deeply excellent tea contrasting with the earlier Youle--where the Youle was kind of loose, the Shenpin was dense in taste. However, where the Youle had a lot of complexity in taste and was dynamic, this Shenpin doesn't really change that much over the course of the session, and there isn't *that* much going on in the up, aroma and taste-wise. Youle and Shenpin also had contrasting quality qi, one fairly active feeling, the other fairly subtle and still feeling. I also contrasted the Shenpin with the '09 XZH GFZ, and the GFZ wins on the complexity of aroma and taste as well, also thicker viscosity. XZH Youle and GFZ also has wider panoply of aftertastes.

I had the urge to do an oolong for once, and dragged out my rarely opened oolong stash, and got my favorite 2005 Zhengyan Rougui from Houde back in the day. Extremely satisfying. Only did a few brews before putting it into the fridge, where it's now waiting for me to give it more time. Perhaps tomorrow.

Aroma was plummy, mineral, cake/candy sweetness, a touch of almond and florals; occasional classic rougui cinnamon. Taste was plummy and mineral in a very nice way--strong mineral taste that didn't bite and segued from plumminess sort of seamlessly. Lightly sour, it's been 16 years since it was last roasted, of course. Viscosity moderate with light astringency and very smooth. Aftertastes were great, intensely floral mouthcoat with a not very pungent huigan deep in the throat. Needless to say there was plenty of feeling going down the throat. Plenty of feeling in the mouth with plenty of cooling. A good yiwu huigan to almond sweetness was almost an afterthought. The qi was strong, and there was plenty of caffeine feeling, so quite ennervating and calm at the same time. Only did like four or five brews. Just wanted to squeeze in that session.

We're not done yet. Today's first tea was the 2009 XZH Jin Taiji. Somewhat underwhelming compared to the string of high quality sessions to date. This session was a lot like the first session I had with a sample of this tea, where I was kind of "this is likable, but meh for the cost on FB auctions". This session was overall much like a 2007 XZH Mengsong session, except more delicate with more elaborate aftertastes.

Aroma generally had a bulgar wheat low element with wood, and some sugary/floral/fruit candy higher elements. Late aroma is more mushroomy, wood, barnyard. Taste is pretty consistently a tcm bitter with bulgar wheat, wood, and can have brown sugar or floral sweetness. Late session taste tends to be light tcm bitter pole with a choco tinged generic depth. Mouthfeel is pretty decent like all the other high end teas I've been drinking--good viscosity with a bit of oily texture. Astringency tends to build through some of the session. Aftertaste game is active early, and tends to be pretty merged--yiwu huigan to yun, bounce down the throat a bit in a pungent huigan, then coats the mouth. This tends to be a sweet, fruity aftertaste. Later session aftertaste tends to be more of a conversion from tcm bitter to lingering mouthcoat flavors. Qi is pretty strong and comfortable. I didn't brew this all the way, wanted to move onto another tea.

And the last tea mentioned here, the one I was drinking the last dregs of when I started this stupidly long post, is the 2009 XZH Fengshali (not Fengshabao-new pricelist just dropped with english transliteration on it!). I was feeling curious about its nature about whether it was Phongsaly (the province in Laos) or was it just another way to say "secrit Yiwu village". The name of the cake is definitely a reference to Phongsaly, tho' the first character isn't right even though it's a homophone. I was thinking it had some distinct similarities to Bohetangy teas (like 2012 Kingly Aura Chawangbing or 2019 BYH BHT, etc, brown sugar BHT as opposed of Shenyung Tiancheng, 2010 BYH Wangong sort of plummy super fruity BHT). Eh, it was pretty good, not dense enough in taste to be considered top flight.

Aroma tends to have powder floral rims, pez candy fruitiness, brown sugar/sweet nutmeat, and sometimes has subtle fruit-honey undertones. It's sometimes pretty nice in aroma. Taste tends to be a loose one with a tcm bitter pole, dark-sweet herbal notes, some barnyard with a little bit of sourness, a little bit of brown sugar. There can be nice pez candy in the taste as well as sweet nutmeat. Viscosity is less than the other nice teas, with less oiliness, but still nice enough. Light astringency. Can be aggressively cooling with decent mouthcoat, yun. The qi is quite good, almost or equal to the Jin Taiji. Not super dynamic, has the same themes, but if I aggressively brew to bitterness, I generally get some pleasant aftertastes to go with that bitterness. Not sure on the durability, felt like it was fading, but never had trouble reviving.

There are indeed similarities to the brown sugar sort of BHT, particuarly in the expansive cooling sense, and maybe in the quality of the aroma. This doesn't have the sort of wild aromatic and complex mouthcoat aftertastes like the good stuff can do, and the cooling sense is different in nature, being more typical of other teas rather than the evaporative sense of the cooling in 2012 Chawangbing.

Whew!

Some further comments--the latest XZH price-list is out, and it's a relatively complete list for once, only a few teas are missing. The prices, of course are obscene and well beyond what any red-blooded American would pay, but some notes regardless.

The general price rise was on the order of 33%.

A lot of stuff are on the same price level despite the varying quality, ie, 2006 Youle and 2006 Guangbienlaozhai are the same price at $3.9K/400g, even though they are very different in quality.

Some stuff that I thought would be top end expensive, like 2007 XZH Dinji Nu'ercha, didn't turn out to be that way at $2.3K/200g, less than the 2009 XZH Ancient Diangu that I don't like that much at $3.41k/250g or '09 Purple Tip Diangu at the same price. What really surprised me was that the 2009 XZH GFZ was the second most expensive tea per gram in the catalog, after the 2005 LBZ spring cakes and brick. The 2007 fall teas were markedly cheaper than the spring releases (other than Diangu) than I expected.

Some items effectively more than doubled since April of last year, like many 2010 teas. All four of big 2010 teas effectively tripled, along with the Fog Soul Hekai. The 2010 Hungshan was something 2.5 times more, along with stuff like Lao Wu Shan and Supreme Old Tree (Yangta JingGu?). Lao Wu Shan over the years in general increased a ton in prices. 2011, 2012, and 2014 teas generally tended to go with the standard price rise, but 2012 Kingly Aura Chawangbing makes a first appearance and is much more expensive than the Phoenix Reappearance cake that is usually the same price, $2.2k vs $1.4k. Bohetang magic is obvious there. A bunch of 2013 teas had anamolously high rises, like aformentioned Lao Wu Shan, but also 2013 Yibang Classic went up to $1.7k, only a hundred less than the substantially better 2014 Hongyin, Hongyin Iron, never mind also substantially better Grade A and B that are $200 cheaper! The 2013 Risk One's Life went up slightly more. I tasted a sense of BHT in a sample some time ago, so I'm willing to guess fairly primo material there too, but dunno about that Yibang. Seems like teas newer than 2013 all had a fairly standard 33% price rise.

One thing that went on in my mind is that Auspicious brand 2008 Chawangshu and 2009 GFZ are both teas that I suggest people look for with some effort, because you might be able to buy those teas at something like a reasonable price when they are pretty top-end.

ok, *whew!*

Okay, three more teas this write-up.

Yesterday was my birthday, so I celebrated it with the 2006 XZH Taiji Black that I bought a pair of all the way back in February of 2010, near the beginning of my puerh journey. It was $145 at Houde. A year and a half ago, Houde sold a few more at $600, and Sanhetang at least nominally charges $5k for a cake. Let me tell, this tea and I have such a long history together. I remember when it was mushroomy and it had those huge fruity pungent huigan almost like it was yesterday. And that stretch where it was doing this intense sweet nutmeat taste, all the while giving out a perfumey aroma! What a delight, and I have had about half of this cake.

How did it do on my birthday? A bit underwhelming, primarily in the sense that it was one of those session where the thinness of top taste was problematic. At the same time, I was indeed wondering just what a first pick version of this tea would have been like, as this tea still does things the vast majority of other teas cannot. The '06 XZH Youle, at least my dry-stored version (the TW stored version sample that I tried is muted and much less exciting), is likely to be the better tea over the long run, though. Along with things like '12 Yehgu, '14 XZH Hongyin set, etc...

The aroma tended to oscillate around wood, high barnyard and sweet nutmeat. The wood can have a sense of nice Chinese medicinal herbal, or otherwise aromatic. In later brews, a plumminess often shows up. The top taste is thinner and broad, generally delivering a tcm bitter pole, not that strong, wood, choco, and some high barnyard. The tcm bitter pole fades and the soup gets thinner with more of a high barnyard taste with a thin wood edge, and sometimes a plummy main taste. Much of the way, the soup viscosity is a bit better than enough for a super-premium tea, and with a velvet-ish stiffness in the texture. The astringency is a touch more than light, but is usually productive. Viscosity improves nicely in the late brews. Feeling goes down throat nicely, also sits at the top of throat as well. Cooling feeling can be interesting in a lingering way. The aftertaste game is very nice, early to midsession. The yiwu huigan is strong and complex such that it shimmers in the mouth if you hold it in there a stretch. This leads to a potent yun, and a gradual covering of the mouth lining as the astringency converts. There were pungent huigans, but most where subtle and shallow. There was also some very subtle forest floral mouth aroma that you had to be on the lookout for but is there, especially at the end of cups. Aftertaste game is primarily within the first six cups, and while there more later, they are largely diminished. The strong qi is interesting in the sense that it's a very deep and still feeling, like the center of my chest is thinking hard or something. Durability is okay, I probably did about sixteen or so brews, with a number of the later brews being weak, but still giving something a bit special.

I decided to do a second tea on my birthday, and was inspired to do the '10 XZH Hungshan classic, since it had such a huge price rise, and since the '07 XZH Manlin was so nice so recently. I ultimately had a pretty good time with it, especially as it didn't exhibit its tendency to have higher and thinner taste relative to other Manzhuangs.

The nice savory florals this tea is capable of showed up in the aroma this session, along with cupcake, high barnyard, and plumminess. Some early brews might have herbal, and late brew has a merged floral-mineral character in the light aroma. The taste is mainly barnyard with varying levels of choco overtone. Plumminess is often there. Early brews have a tartness to it, while late brews tends to have a generic depth thin plummy or choco with mineral. Wood can show up there and there, particularly when brewed to bitterness. Excellent mouthfeel with good thickness and pudding, juicy texture. Some light astringency. Some strong cooling can happen in the mouth. Aftertaste first shows up with a fast yiwu huigan to caramel sweetness, slower ones to almond sweetness. There can also be some nicely soft huigan deep in the throat but not too pungent. Pungent huigans happen as well, but shallow. The yun can be impressive, and the lighter mouthcoat can linger a long while. Aftertaste game lasted pretty deep into the session, at least nine brews, and the durability was quite good, did something approaching twenty brews. Late brew taste had a very appealing mineral-floral rim to the thin plummy base that I kept going back for. Qi was strong and good, but I didn't pay that much attention to it, took it for granted.

I used to be pretty dismissive of Manzhuang teas, but have wound up with a very few of them and all of them are at least capable of deeply impressive sessions. My opinion hasn't really changed that much on Manzhuangs. They tend to be Old!Shaq! with the lead legs, when I want Young!Shaq! that could dance with the ball at 330lbs.

The tea today was the 2011 Happiness Pro World or Happiness Under Heaven. Eh, it translates more to a Christmasy "Joy to the World" sort of thing. Aaanyways, the top Gedeng tea for 2011. I was a bit underwhelmed in the beginning, but I ended up with many highly enjoyably sweet late brews. It sort of returned to the sort of tea it was when I originally got it, and much less like the later Gedengs with the more robust dark bitterness and threw me for a small loop before I reset my expectations.

Aroma was brown sugar, wood, sometimes high barnyard, and fleshy florals, and it could be very nice at times. Later brews tended to be a more more plummy and floral nature before petering out to a light mineral. The taste, again, reverted back to the more stereotypical Gedeng molasses taste than the more agressive tcm-bitter based taste like those of newer XZH Gedengs. There was still a bit of tcm bitter, and some wood. There was a bit of barnyard and tartness early. Mid-session, the taste begins to be gradually dominated by a sort of milky-mineral taste, a little bit like the mineral milkiness in the '08 XZH Blessings Iron just recently. The combination of flavors past the midsession tended to be a a very enjoyable and soft taste of dry floral woodiness, milky, and a sense of honey sweetness that is also sensate sweet. It spoke to me in the sense how how well rounded, seamless and balanced the taste was, in contrast to '09 XZH Fengshali, which has small-leaf tendencies, '10 YS Xikong, or '15 XZH Lanyin, where the first two has notable flavors that are nice in and of themselves but don't really work together other than as a collection of pleasant and sweet flavors, and the last is too hollow and delicate, where the rims provide most of the flavor. Good viscosity, somewhat velvety, creamy texture with light astringency. The aftertaste game is generally soft and subtle, and a lot quieter than extremely premium teas usually are. However, what is there is pretty nice. Early brews had feeling go down throat and deep/soft pungent huigan coming back up. Through much of the session, there was a cooling and an associated mouthcoat. There was also some slight yiwu huigan to fruitiness early. Late infusions had a very pleasant yiwu huigan to creamy sugars. Qi was strong and relaxing, but not otherwise notable. Durability is good, 'cause I pushed this a long way and it delivered, somewhere between fifteen and twenty brews.

I'm left to wonder what this is gunna be like in another decade...

The tea of yesterday was the 2014 XZH Hongyin Grade A, which should be a Yibang with some Walong blended in. I was a bit disappointed that the aftertastes were weaker than I'd expected them to be, but it did have a stronger taste and thicker mouthfeel than I expected, and overall I enjoyed it.

Most of the way, the aroma was a sophisticated and enjoyable wild honey and dry-ish floral character. The aroma gradually becomes fruitier as the wild honey fades, and eventually, the floral part fades to a mineral note late. The taste was mostly a wild honey sort of taste very early, and a bit later, tcm bitter comes in and it's wild honey, a pleasantly tart cacao nib sort of flavor with a sense of sensate sweetness in there somewheres. The depth becomes more generic, with little bitterness or tartness, and subtle fruitiness and mineral notes predominate. Sometimes floral or choco note show up, depending on the brew. Very thick viscosity with a bouncy, juicy feeling in the mouth. Astringency starts off light, builds to moderate, and fades over the course of the session. There was decent cooling in mouth, and at least one cup had feeling go down throat a bit. The aftertaste game best feature was a floral yun and some floral mouth aroma here and there. There were very ocassional yiwu huigan to fruit--which is what I missed from expectations, remembered all those strong fruit yiwu huigans through many brews. Mouthcoats were consistent, were kind of light most times, tho', but late longer brews had some nice ones. The qi was strong, but I didn't really note the feeling of it, and I wasted a few brews this morning because I wanted to get to the next tea.

If I went by this session, it's a lot closer to the other nice yibangs on offer from XZH than I expected. The main difference is probably from the Walong, a big, broad, and deep main taste while that was going.

The tea today was the 2009 XZH Jingmai. Taste was a bit more aged than usual This usually has a sort of mushroom, honey nuttiness sort of taste, and now it's sort of tamarind. Aged jingmai are usually more like dried longans, but I'll take tamarind... I did not do a ton of brews (on account of getting up late and sneaking brews between football plays), so I'll be doing more later, probably much later in the week, as I'll be doing Hongyin tomorrow.

Aroma and taste are actually pretty simple. After a young tea nature wash brew of honey, sugars, mushroom/nut, the aroma and taste were dominated by a tamarindish nature, like dark herbals with a sense of fruitiness. There was also a nice aromatic wood along with some early bitterness and tartness, mostly in the taste. As the tea progresses some nuances like floralness pops out of the generally fading tamarind aroma. The viscosity could be thin at times, but usually was good with a notably stiff oiliness for texture. There was plenty of cooling in mouth. Good yiwu huigan to sugars, a shallow pungent huigan, regular mouthcoat, and a nice floral mouth aroma for aftertaste. The qi was quite strong and sobering, fairly relaxing. Only did maybe eleven brews before stoping. *sigh* will have to transfer the leaf to the other pot...

note bene, Houde put up some 2003 Purple Dayi 7542 for $525 a cake. That's too much for me, but it's still well below what a good 7542 of that age typically is. Wholesale is about a thousand dollars, and this is probably long term Houston stored...

Last edited:
After a bunch more brews of the '09 XZH Jingmai, I then went on to the main event, the 2014 XZH Hongyin. Ah, worth every bit the $1.2k I spent on the bing. Just a deeply excellent session. Only slight flaws were that it, like Yehgu, could have been a bit richer in top taste, and it could have more viscosity. Effectively nonpareil aftertaste game, nonpareil feeling in mouth and throat, great aroma, great qi, nice base taste. This was more like the 2012 XZH Kingly Aura Chawangbing than it usually is, featuring more brown sugar and dark herbals rather than wild/honey taste.

At this point, I really wonder and suspect that the general Bohetang area was a imperial tribute tea or a knock off of then Mansong imperial tribute tea--Mansong and Beiyingshan are not very far from BHT at all. Remember, these imperial tribute garden aren't groves of clones and tend to have widely different character, as the surviving one in Kunlushan shows. What's popular is probably a general theme, and people picked from those bushes that broadly show these traits. Some rich folks decided they wanted what the emperors get, and did their own thing deeper in that thar forest. I'm just thinking all of this because, aside from richness of taste for those that prefer dense, deep and rich taste, Bohetang, the actual good stuff, is as clearly above all the other Mengla teas as the actual good stuff LBZ over any other Menghai tea.

Hmph, also, this session of Hongyin clearly has a little bit of the same sort of bitterness as the Yehgu. None of that dark choco taste, but same bitterness. It just annoys me, but there is a lot of mainland articles that keep talking about BHT as not having any bitterness. I'd say some may not, but I suspect most or all BHT has a degree of notable bitterness.

Okay, to that tea. Well...the main thing to note about aroma and taste is that this tea was extremely dynamic, and sort of have several stages. Aroma starts off plummy, woodsap, honey, floating aromatic wood/savory floral, then transitions to a nice barnyard, fruitiness, light aromatic wood/savory floral, before fading out at a transition point. As I increase brewing times, it comes back with a floral, mineral, and varying degrees of fruit, barnyard, or honey. These can be light, but many of these late brew aromas are lovely, and were still going when I stopped today at fifteen or sixteen brews. The taste starts off with foresty mushroom, a touch of umami/barnyard, dark herbal, brown sugar, plummy and a touch of fruitiness. Then bitterness grows, with roughly the same overal profile as before until at the same time as the aroma fades, the taste also whitens out to a kind of mushroomy and white rice taste. This goes on awhile as bitterness builds back in, and then at the end of the day's session, the white taste fades to a light bitter and mineral taste that's still quite nice and sophisticated. The mouthfeel was great, particularly early. Moderate to good thickness with a very nicely silky texture to it. The silkiness fades over the session, but the viscosity improves to good. The astringency starts off low, but it does build and is at a moderate level most of the way. This does that excellent bohetangy cooling feel, very evanescent and cooling all around the mouth in active and interesting ways. There is strong feeling at the top of the throat and going down. The aftertaste game is complete, loud, and easily enjoyable. Earliest and latest brews feature very nicely dynamic, shimmering yiwu huigan to complex floral and fruity sweetness. There was a stretch of brews with great deep pungent huigan bringing tropical punch fruitiness. Around the same set of brews had a good floral mouth aroma. Some yuns. Through most/all of the session, there was an excellent, long lasting and shimmering mouthcoat. The qi was strong and vibrant, alerting and moving in head and body early. Still strong qi and more sedate alerting late in the session. Durability was great too, with one of the central features of this tea's superiority--keeping an active phase going super late into a session holding true.

The commonalities between this tea and Yehgu is pretty obvious to me. 2019 W2T Unicorn is also obviously similar, but with not near the power of the other two. YiwuteaMountain QBCZ is pretty distant behind.

This sort of tea is extremely enjoyable to me.

More of a laid back tea weekend before I dive into more expensive XZH starting next weekend...

I got in a package from Sanhetang with the 2018 Carefree shu and a bunch of samples.

The shu of Friday was, of course, the 2018 Carefree. It pretty much exhibited the reasons why I bought it. It has a light, but suggestively floral aroma in the early going. The taste is fairly thin, but is sweet with wood and fruity-honeyish notes and relatively little fermentation notes as would be expected from lightly fermented shu. Late session taste is more light fermentation and herbals. Decent viscosity with astringency that grows a bit as the session goes on. Good aftertaste game for shu with a fairly active coating feeling and flavor in the mouth and throat. Qi is also really good.

This tea is cheaper than other teas I do not like as much, such as the 2017 Cultural Revolution imitation brick. I think the main reason this is so, is because the density of taste is low. Eh...who knows?

The sheng of Saturday was a bit of 2009 XZH Yinfeng Pekoe. It was nice enough, with aroma that was sort of dynamic with wood, chicory-ish dark herbals, artisinal clay, caramel, floral, and a sort of barnyard base. The taste had a generic depth that sometimes had slight choco tones, main flavors being dark herbal, wild honey, a little wood, and a little tcm bitter. It had good viscosity, didn't really note the texture much. Aftertaste game is nice with a consistent, nice, and slow yiwu huigan to fruit and florals. There were some nice yuns and shallow pungent huigans in the early going as well. Of course a little mouthcoat and cooling. Qi was good, too. I was treating this as a casual drink (and didn't push this too hard), maybe paid about a hundred dollars for the cake, and it's one of the "cheaper" options in Sanhetang's retail listings of older teas, but it's substantially better than quite a few nice teas sold today, like the '19 YS Jiutaipo. Eh...

The tea today was W2T 2014 56-45 That's My Number. It kind of reminded me of XZH 2019-20 Taiji, sorta. Aroma was mineral, herbal, tobacco, mostly. The taste was largely the same, the deep tobacco having a touch of tartness and bitterness like northern Menghai tea. There was also a sense of sweetness to it as well. Mouthfeel was good, particularly early on, with moderately good viscosity and a bit of pudding texture. Aftertastes were quite nice early on with a strong mouthcoat and associated cooling feeling (especially at top of throat), and a bit of feeling going down throat. There was also a nice yun. I did about 12 brews or so...

I did thermoses of most of the XZH samples--most were more than 10.3g (while paying for 8g), so I could do that...

2011 Classic Mangzhi--very soft and delicate, tended to have a subtle pear/watermelon fruity note

2011 Legend of Treasures--more robust than the Mangzhi, feels very blended. Not directly as appealing in flavors, but is very complex in taste with many appealing minor notes. Has a notably good mouthfeel. Vigorous aftertaste game. good qi. Seems pretty clearly super-premium.

2011 Endlessly Hidden--has a very strong taste, strongly carrot, so much so that there are some aspect of fresh pressed carrot juice in the taste. I sort of got bored with the tea as it's pretty one note even if it's nice.

2010 Bama--Felt fairly sterotypical Nannuo, rather balanced flavor profile in a thermos. Nice, but not that eyecatching.

2013 Walong--more vigorously nice than the Bama, feels fairly similar to the 2010 Wuweisanfang (koreahao) Walong, but may be a bit richer in taste.

The shu of Friday was the 2014 XZH Truth Returning. It's not really anything special. In contrast to the '18 Carefree shu, this shu has a strong shu taste with a dark herbal taste with a sense of sweetness in the fermentation depth, parallel to licorice. There's a touch of wood, and the tea gradually gets some creamy feeling and sweetness in longer brews. There is decent viscosity, and a little bit of qi. It's a fairly boring shu overall, and I wasn't inspired to try and get very many brews from it. Something like W2T's Loyal Soldier is more interesting to me, tho' that is not as dark and rich in taste.

This was Nannuo Saturday! for me. And it was a good one!

So the first XZH up for a proper gongfu session was the 2010 Bama. Overall verdict is that it's nice, but the '06 XZH Banpo LaoZhai is probably bit better, but this is more coherent. It also reflects the fact that at least some of Sanhetang's storage for 2010 and 2011 teas was too moist, and this Bama is a bit overstored, if not catastrophically so.

The aroma is generally a tobacco and dark herbals that is very similar to the herbals you get from warehoused tea. No black-eyed peas or any other symptoms. The soup is dark gold with orange highlights, so generally, this has had a lot of moisture over the years. Anyways, back to aroma, it can have wood, mushroom, and a nice subtle caramel sweetness, too. The taste is broad but oftentimes sort of feels thin in the early-mid going. There is generally the same warehouse herbals in there, along with dark, tart, slightly bitter, and raisin-y tobacco. There is generally a suggestion of sweetness in the flavor. Later brews have the depth become more generic and more fuller if shallower. The viscosity is generally good, and the earliest brews have a slight pudding-mucilaginous texture, but that fades to generic feel quickly. The astringency is generally moderate, and this fades in the late session. Feeling can go down throat on occasion. There is a lot of nice cooling feeling in mouth and throat, particularly early. The mouthcoat is very nice, reminiscent of a ba xian/yancha floralness. Early brews have a subtle lingering yun. At least one occasion of a slight fruity pungent huigan, and more consistent, but slow yiwu huigan to caramel. The qi is strong and nicely calming. I did about twelve brews, maybe fourteen, and the tea was getting somewhat tired then, but could still brew more.

I wanted to make a comparison to the Nannuo that I've kept since it was new, the 2011 EoT Douyizhai. It was quickly obvious that I really prefer that drier storage. Anyways, this tea is smaller and more concentrated in taste than the XZH, with less viscosity, qi, and weaker aftertastes. However, this was a really enjoyable session.

The soup wasn't that much lighter than the Bama, actually, but it didn't have any orange highlights. The aroma was sharper and was a bit dynamic over the session. The earliest had wild honey, barnyard, wood, and herbals. Then sweet nutmeat and mushroom notes, and finally, a soft dark tobacco, mineral, and sweetness in the late session aroma. The taste had a bit of wild honey and barnyard early, but quickly is deep tobacco with some tartness and a little bitterness. Sometimes a little sweet nutmeat adds a bit of variety. Late brews have a bit of sweetness in the taste and some wood/mineral notes. The viscosity was markedly thinner than the XZH, more decent to good, slightly oily texture. Did not note much in the way of astringency. Doesn't generate as much cooling as XZH in the mouth and throat, does alright. Did have at least one cup where feeling trickled down throat, with a bit of flavor feeling deep in there with it too. Main aftertaste is some mouthcoat with a similar feeling floralness as the XZH, if weaker. There is a touch of yun here and there, as well as some yiwu huigan to a sweet sense on occasion as well. Strong qi as well, rather nice calming, only a bit lower quality than the XZH. Does feel more assuredly durable, did about fourteen brews and definitely feels like it can do more.

Just one tea of the day today, the 2011 Classic Mangzhi from Sanhetang. As with yesterday's Bama, this is somewhat overstored. Interestingly to me, it's most like the TW stored '05 and '06 XZH Youles. However, it does seem the least interesting of the 6FTM.

Before I started with the Mangzhi, I did a bunch more brews with both the EoT and XZH Nannuo. The EoT kind of emptied out to a slight honey mineral sweetness and a bitter pole, a bit like the '10 EoT Manmai, but still delivered a nice qi. The XZH, when brewed firmly delivered quite solid bitter taste with good mouthfeel and strong qi. I may wish it was drier stored, but it's still a very affirmatively good tea.

Back to the Mangzhi. The aroma was somewhat light, but it was sort of dynamic through a session. Floralness varied from dry, sharpish florals, to more lush fleshy florals. Some brews had stewed fruit, mostly early in the session. Others brews, mostly later in the session had herbals in the aroma. Late brews were pretty fruity, including one with a distinct canned loquat or litchi sensibility. The taste is much less dynamic--it's mostly a depth with some herbals and a bit of tcm bitter. Early brews have some bitter-tartness biting the tongueroots. There can be a subtle suggestion of fruit. Later brews have the depth shallowing out and leaving a more emphasized herbalness and a more exposed fruitiness. Mouthfeel is pretty good early with decent to good viscosity with velvet texture. Astringency was mild early, rose a bit and fell as the session went on. The texture also faded as the session went on. Aftertastes wasn't too showy--light mouthcoat with a little cooling, one brew had a yun. Qi was strong and of good quality, though. I only did eight brews before I settled in to some football, as I wasn't really curious enough to keep going, but never feel, going into the fridge for workweek evening brewing.

Overall, the session and thermos very much reminded me of the experience with the 2005 XZH fall Youle, except that tea was more spicey than herbal.

Alright a few more interesting brews this weekend...

The shu of Friday was An Xiang. I'll just mention a couple of things. Entry into mouth is really nice and somewhat silky. It also splashes feeling throughout mouth cavity.

The first sheng of the weekend was the 2011 XZH Ancient Tree Garden No. 1. It's pretty obviously a sort of Yibang. Yeah, it's better than the 2011 Classic Yibang, overall. It also reinforces my preference for broadleaf puerh tea for aging, but this is still nice.

Early brews tended to have a light aroma consisting of fleshy florals, wood/woody herbals verging towards oregano by the end of the phase, and black pepper. Later brews tended to have fleshy florals and sugars. The taste had fleshy florals, olive oil in the very early brews, which quickly gains a tcm bitter depth through some brews, but many of those brews were not very bitter. There was also a little bit of wood in this phase. Late brews tended to have a generic tcm and deep plummy depth with a tough of fleshy florals. The viscosity was top end thickness with a pudding texture. This facet made the tea worthwhile to drink well after the last interesting taste is gone. There was a bit of astringency that gains and loses a bit over the session. Last very long brew was astringent. The aftertastes were not super strong and was largely only present in the very early brews with a dynamic and lingering mouthcoat. Some interesting tonguecoat. A bit of subtle yiwu huigan to sugars, and a nicely aggressive yun. These all fade quickly and only a bit of mouthcoat ever made a consistent presence. The qi was very strong and aggresively nice for me. The durability is okay, but the flavor, aroma, and mouthcoat does that quick fading typical of small-leaf tea, with all the fun stuff over by the fifth brew or something. As mentioned before, still ridiculously thick at the last brew, maybe brew fourteen or fifteen? The finished leaves looked like your small leaf fair, but notably thick and burly and not fagile at all premium picking. As often is the case with XZH stuff from before at least 2013, this tea was overstored, and I suspect that taste would be notably better had it been drier stored. This tea also has notably low bitterness, and I suspect that it's worthwhile to try and brew this with skill to get full non-bitter tea.

I did a session of EoT 2018 Bamboo Spring. Early brews are a thin vegetal with a fruit tone. Mid brews are bitter dark herbals approaching chicory. Later brews tend to have a nice sugars element. Mouthfeel was generally pretty good, decent to good viscosity with a bit of pudding here as well. Aroma and taste are insuficiently rich to call this a great tea. Also, there is a lacking of a 3D feeling with the tea. Sort of like seeing a static sat image of the Earth vs the XZH tea of a more stereo, video image of the Earth surface.

The tea today was the 2011 XZH Endlessly Hidden. This tea has a relatively strong aroma and taste and a consistent theme of pressed fresh carrot juice. This is also a small leaf affair, but I suspect that this is some kind of weird Mengsong. It could be Yibang or whatever Mengla, as what I call nannuo-carrot is primarily an artifact of a certain sort of storage, so it's possible to get this note in Yiwus, etc.

What it sez on the label. Fresh carrot juice in aroma and taste. Later brews are more nuanced with more or less carrot and a sort of apply-osmanthusy chamomile as the broad underlying flavor. Mouthfeel is good--good viscosity with a bit of pudding again, similar to Bamboo Spring, but thicker viscosity. Astringency starts off low and builds up. Aftertaste game also isn't particularly strong, and ends very early with this tea as well, by the third brew is finished, about done. There was a nice winey buildup, and a bit of nice yun. There was also some nice feeling going down throat. Qi is at the strong level, pretty conventional. Very durable with a broadly consistent profile that has subtly changing nuances.

I'd say that this is a tea that does deserve some attention, as it has a relatively strong and unique character. Nominally $923/250g, tho' and given the potential for boredom with the consistent profile and the lack of a strong aftertaste game, I'd consider that a poor bargain.

Did a thermos of 1.5g of Ancient Tree Garden no. 1 and .8g of '09 Fengshali, and it turned out very well, and increases my sense that the 2011 Ancient Tree Garden no.1 is something that might deserve notice despite costs.

The shu of Friday was the 2012 XZH Dragon Brick. I enjoyed it a lot. It's a very "shu" like, without much signal in the way of overt excellence. You just notice it's a really nice shu. Similar to how I feel about W2T Sentinel black tea. There's a bit of papery wood, not really a lot of fermentation depth, some dark herbals, some dried fruit, mebbe a touch of choco in taste. Good mouthfeel and small amounts of yiwu huigan to something like sweet root herbal. Good qi.

The first sheng of Saturday was the 2012 XZH Legend of Treasures. I was expecting a bit more than I got from the tea. It didn't have a ton of interesting complexity in cup or dynamism over a session, and the aftertaste game is relatively weak for a premium tea.

Aroma is capable of spice, florals, and barnyard, but the primary element is a sweet beta carotene note like candied yams or, say, mamey sapote/persimmons. Late brews is mostly brown sugar and florals. The taste has a tcm bitter pole with a bit of associated choco, some barnyard and an aromatic wood rim early. In later brews, taste loses bitterness, and gradually shallows thins to a more brown sugar note. The mouthfeel is really good, thick viscosity and pudding texture with light astringency, which justifies many later brews. There is a bit of feeling in mouth, throat and goes down a bit, one brew had a notable numbing in the front area of the mouth. Not much of an aftertaste game--one brew did have a nice building winey shallow pungent huigan, but most of what aftertaste there was was just light mouthcoats. The qi is strong but not otherwise notable. I didn't push this tea all that hard in terms of durability.

Not sure where this tea comes from, most of the flavor profile is something something Mansa, but the leaves are small. It could have also done with less heavily humid storage. I think had I a cake and stored it here, this tea could be more interesting after it unclenches a bit.

The second tea of the day was the 2007 YQH Qizhong. A few observations. This tea has always had good aroma, and a nice aromatic woodiness in both aroma and taste. It's still fairly sour and the aging bitter pole lends it an unpleasant acridness. Even after the sourness fades, the taste is suspiciously flat. Decent enough mouthfeel and qi. I've moved on to the idea that the issue with Qizhong is that there's some kind of hongcha issue with the processing somewhat similar to aged dongdings with too much moisture.

The tea today was the XZH 2013 Walong. It basically tastes like any other walong, but it's much beefier than, say, the koreahao.

Aroma tends to be complex in a subtle way--there's often a pine needles note, sweet cupcake or cornbread dough, mineral, wood, and stewed peaches in varying ways through the session. The taste is primarily a broad and deep tcm bitter with light asociated choco, along with barnyard, mineral, and dried fruit in the early going. Later brews is more of a thinner, shallower tcm bitter with slight fruit and mineral tones to it. Mouthfeel is nice with good viscosity and a pudding-velvet texture. Astringency tends to build as the session moves on, but some of it melts into aftertastes. Decent feeling in mouth and throat, and stuff goes down. In terms of aftertaste, can do a decent job with a mouth and throat coat. There was at least one yun. Again, the qi is strong without much character. I got a touch bored with this as I typically do with Manzhuang tea, lots of beef, not quite so much liveliness. Definitely something that would do well in a brew a few times a day over a week mode. The aroma tended to stick to my empty cup such that I noticed, so might want to use aroma cups with this one.

The best tea of this set of samples was 2010 Bama, to my surprise.

Small leaf tea really needs dry storage.

The gap between the 2011 XZH Gedeng and the 2011/12 teas I just sampled was much bigger than I expected.

Let's see if I can be quick tonight!

The shu of Friday was the 2014 XZH Huangyin. I was thinking about how it was cheaper than the 2015 Luyin Iron shu, and my own previous experience with what often was a subtle shu. This time the session was exceptional. It was still a subtle tea in terms of aroma and taste, but I could detect the nuances with ease, those being a certain floral and caramel note in the aroma, the taste including fruit and caramel. The aroma and tastes are broadly conventional shu otherwise. The mouthfeel is fairly similar to chocolate milk. Feeling in the mouth and throat is excellent, with lots of that spreading cooling feeling found in exceptional shengs. A certain degree of numbing also happened. There was plenty of mouthcoat aftertaste, some strong yuns. Also a fairly subtle yiwu huigan to fruity caramel, similar to certain scotch. On rare occasions, I got a nice woody/mossy/savory floral? mouth aroma in the back of the mouth. The qi was really strong.

This shu is pretty erratic from session to session. I now think this is mostly because it's just the waste materials from doing the four Red Marks in the Vajra set, mostly stems and broken leaf. This is probably why it was cheaper than the 2015 tea--that tea is much more composed of leaf material. On its best day, like today, it's better than the 2015 Luyin Iron, but typically, the Luyin will have thicker viscosity, thicker, more distinct and stronger flavor, and more qi. I suspect the 2014 Huangyin is probably going to usually beat this in terms of aftertaste game.

The first sheng of the weekend was the 2006 Naked Tea Horse Tribute Cake from Essence of Tea. The short conclusion is that the raw materal is good, but the processing deficiencies are considerable, and in practical terms, the only reason to consider getting the cake is that there aren't many comparably priced alternatives--15yo aged southern Bulang isn't common at all in western market, and isn't typically identified as such in eastern market. Try 2006 Chung-Cha Ji-Shing Brand “QīngZàng Jing Cha” 250g - https://houdefinetea.com/product/2006-chung-cha-ching-zhang-jing-cha-250g/ ,for example, or the Double Lion '05 from Teas We Like, perhaps, but both are from points north in banzhang area. Aroma and taste revolve around retired smoke, wild honey, dark herbal, wood, with a little bit of choco, tart tobacco. Bitterness could be intense--my pot clogged a couple of time from all the fragments and punished me for it. Mouthfeel is good, with a sticky thickness. Strong mouthcoats in early, midsession. Good qi. Durability is poor, taste goes on, but it gets flat and I didn't really want to continue after about eleven or so brews.

The sheng of today was the 2009 XZH Fengshali, with the recent XZH samples in mind. Decided I really need to stop treating this tea as a casual brew, as it's fairly high end. While the name refers to Phongsali province, and the XZH blurb talks about "along the border", this tea is much better than I am accustomed for Laos tea to be. The broader profile is somewhat similar to Bohetang. For now, I am thinking that this material is from the greater Bohetang area, on the eastern side close to the Laos border rather than being Laos tea. Originally, this whole area was essentially sold as Dingjiazhai, as that place was a major collection point, then Wangong. As people get caught up into these micro area games, the larger area was known as Caoguodi, and then Bohetang was split off as its own thing, with apparently Caoguodi still having a marked place on Yiwu gushu maps, to the east of BHT. Alright anyways, back to the tea--let's mention the weaknesses. It's pretty small leaf, and generally does behave *mostly* like a small leaf puerh--so it tends to be a small tea in taste, about the size of non-super premium small leaf like the Essence of Tea Ancient Yibang 2016 or 2018 Gedeng. It still has odd notes in taste. Viscosity isn't top of the line either.

The aroma tended to have a lime mojito fruitiness with a touch of floralness, wood, and umami. This was a rather enjoyable scent for me, and I took my time sniffing at my tea on some brews. The taste tends to have a dark tcm bitter core similar to good yibangs or gedengs, but the bitterness is much lighter than most of that sort of tea. There is wood, umami, and choco around it early, while later rounds have a rising taste with a gentle rice pudding like sweetness under a dark herbal murk. Very late brews have a general thin fruitiness. The viscosity is decent to good with not much astringency. No real texture other than maybe a bit of softness. The aftertaste game is top of the line or just underneath it. As with Friday's shu, aggressive cooling and spreading mouthcoat happens, and lingers a long while. Feeling goes down throat pretty decently as well. On at least one brew, a pungent huigan happens too, but more often I got really good yuns. Strong qi of good quality, too. Durability is distinctly different than other small leaf tea--aftertastes, complex flavors in general last much longer than six brews--more comparable to 2011 Joy to the World, or '14 Hongyin Grade A.

Against other small leaf puerhs from XZH, I'd easily prefer the Fengshali, tho' '11 no.1 garden might be able to push things a little with it's strong mouthfeel and qi.

Alright here we go:

Shu of Friday was the new W2T elite shu The Bringer. It's too young to tell a whole lot, and learning from experience just how much my interpretations of what's going on with fresh shu changes as it settles, I'm not making too hasty a judgement. Aroma and taste has a lot of wodui, enough so that it reminded me of that intense wodui from the Essence of Tea 2010 Lao Man'e shu when I tried it soon after release. It's sort of hard to tell what was underneath. The taste definitely has a strong bitterness, enough to remind one of Astro Kitties (and not quite the idea of a Swinedog76 shu) shu. The tea also tended to have more fruity notes than shu usually does. The earliest brews had some deep choco in taste. Mid late brews was more of a sweet dark herbal/root herbal note similar to what The Stranger can do, but more intense. The viscosity is good and has a chewy texture. This tends to have a good aftertaste game with a lot of good mouthcoats. The qi is very strong and immobilizing, enjoyably so.

I blind bought this with the expectation that this would be a product similar to the 2017 and 2019 Hai Lang Hao LBZ shu or the 2015 XZH Luyin iron shu. To a degree this was the case, the mouthfeel is pretty similar if not quite as thick as the HLH/XZH. In other ways, there was little fermentation depth in The Bringer, and not much Bulang barnyard depth either--thus it's definitely not as good at providing a super rich and deep taste like other LBZ shu. OTOH, the qi is much stronger, and it may well have a stronger aftertaste game. Durability might be pretty good. Heh, looking above, I see the XZH Dragon Brick shu also had a low fermentation taste with a similar dark herbal core--suggests a style of fermentation? Anyways, provisionally, I *think* it's worth the money.

The sheng of Saturday was the W2T Pyrolad. Yeah, this is smoky, alright. It's really hard to get a sense of the actual taste of the sheng as the smoke is overbearing. This smoke does impart a strong sense of woodiness, but it also has a bit of that acrid resin nature that makes teabag lapsang a cultivated taste. The aroma's smoke did fade a couple of times as soup cooled and give off a fruit sense in aroma. The material is mostly detectable as a sort of bitterness and honey in taste. Could be Menghai or Mengku, but was informed that this is mostly a Menghai tea. There is a bit of texture with a sort of soft stiffness. Can be astringent. Moderate qi. I don't recall much aftertaste.

The shu of Saturday was W2T The Stranger. Changing a bit more, and also more of a stable presentation. Papery wood in aroma and taste, and most of the taste being dark herbal. It was nice,particularly given a spot of cold and wet weather.

The sheng of Sunday was W2T 72 Hours. Thoroughly excellent. For me, the absolute hallmark of a good tea is one that gives a lot of feeling in the mouth and going down throat with a lot of qi--it gives a strong sense of "spiritual nourishment" and is grounding and comforting. Very few teas available to normal people can do this to my satisfaction.

Aroma and taste is really subtle--mineral milk/olive oil, slight fruitiness, floralness. A few earlier brews had a bitter-tart dark herbal verging on chicory. The dark herbal faded, but the bitter-tartness remained and was a balance against the sweetness. Aroma tended towards wood, pine needles nature in late session. The mouthfeel was decent to good, with a really good soft texture. Astringency can hit moderate levels, depending on brewing. Aftertastes include great mouthcoat and yuns. There was lots of feeling at top of throat and going down. Qi was rather good as well, good strength and quality. An outstanding session. 2008 XZH Shuangxi Lingmen is rather similar to this tea, but has much stronger flavors, about the same nature qi, but not the good feelings.

Did a thermos of my Youle, and it made me think that 2011 XZH Endlessly Hidden could easily be a Youle.

I drank Pyrolad through the week, it's pretty durable. I enjoyed it more as the smoke got a little weaker and more balanced with the tea. Smoke gets into the cups and pot, and they had to be cleaned with a bit more vigor.

The shu of Friday was W2T Reckless Daughter. Again, wodui makes it pretty tricky to figure out what the real profile is in aroma and taste. However, I do think it's safe to say that as the description suggests, this is a pretty sweet flavors forward sort of tea, and is fairly high for a shu. I couldn't detect any floralness so far. The mouthfeel is very good, thick with a softness that's a little like something with a lot of small solids in it, like milk but more, so like soy milk or something with lots of lecithin. Capable of aggressive mouthcoat aftertaste, some yuns. There is a bit of feeling going down throat. The qi is very strong. This tea is also notably durable for a shu.

The sheng of Saturday was the 2006 Taipei Memorial Hongyin xiaobing. This was a rather boring session with the taste being a consistent tobacco depth rounded into a softer dark herbal depth. There's some barnyard, mineral, sweet mushroom, especially early on in aroma and taste. Good wood notes late. Good viscosity, a little milky in texture, astringency develops some to moderate mid-session before fading. Decent mouthcoat aftertaste early in the session. A bit of qi. I didn't take this too many brews.

I was thinking alot about how this profile was fairly similar to warehoused tea like this bada I have or the YellowPurple sold at Houde. However, the taste is not hollow like those teas are, also doesn't have the sweeter profiles either like plumminess, wine, etc. I wonder if this tea had a lot of humidity at some point despite being sold by Houde.

I did The Nameless One shu to compare with Reckless Daughter. Nameless is much more a shu than Reckless Daughter, The Bringer, and The Stranger. Instead of dark herbals like the latter two aformentioned teas, Nameless has some shu fermentation depth, a lot of the normal shu yiwu huigan sweetness. The kind of cologne like florals was more muted this session. There was a nice fruit sense lurking in the depth, and a gentle bitterness on top. Mouthfeel is good, with good thickness, but not quite so intense texture as Reckless Daughter. Qi is decent but much less than the 2021 high end shus.

The tea today was the 2007 XZH Mengsong. I was tinning that tea, and got a lot of relatively unbroken leaf for a session. That has meant that early brews weren't as rich with choco as usual, but the tea was far more durable with the choco happening in late brews. There was a bit of that nice Naka-ish lemony/sumac that I remember from when it was a three year old sample. Good mouthfeel, lots of mouthcoat and yuns, and good qi, of course. This was a rather better than usual session with that tea.

Sort of a minerally weekend!

The shu of Friday was the 2021 White2Tea SmokeShou. I enjoyed this much more readily than I did the sheng. I was concerned that it would take a number of brews before the smoke stops being overwhelming and by then the shu would be weak, but this didn't turn out to be the case. Shu had a fake strength and depth that pushes back against smoke more readily than sheng, and because that strength of taste is fake, it's also much more accommodating of smoke, sort of like how tofu absorbs flavors. Thus, there was a seamless and sort of balanced flavor profile that was pretty enjoyable. The shu used in this tea is shu that is pretty close to the material in Amalgamation of Capital--thus, bulang depth of barnyard and choco that turns more mineral in later brews. So, that, with the smoke, is the aroma and taste. Mouthfeel is good. Not a huge amount of aftertaste, and respectably strong qi about where Amalgamation gets you. Durability is not great, maybe six pretty good brews before the tea gets out of balance with smoke and a thinner tasting more mineral shu body.

The sheng of Saturday was White2Tea Magic Mountain DNA. This was much fruitier than usual, and the experience was making me think something something Bingdao area until I looked up the blurb and saw it was Menghai. Some banzhang teas are really fruity in the way northern teas can be--like how that blind sampling of the Theasophie LBZ had me thinking it was some sort of lincang.

Anyways, aroma is broadly mineral, herbal, and fruity in the sense of peaches in varying proportions. The early taste had a bit of bitterness, some mushroom, herbal, and fruitiness. The bitterness weakens rapidly and in later brews the taste is mostly menghai honey, mineral, and with touches of herb and fruit. The taste is pretty insubstantial and lacking in richness, as always has been the case with this tea. Mouthfeel is good as usual, verging on thick with a certain plump smooth texture, does have moderate astringency. There is some cooling, and the main aftertaste is a decent fruity mouthcoat. Some moderate qi. Durability was okay, about fourteen brews.

It was a pretty decent session that still left me wanting a bit more.

The sheng today was the old reliable 2008 XZH Blessings (or Shuangxi Lingmen). I really like this tea as a fast decision when I don't know what I really want to drink. Thoroughly enjoyed. It was very minerally, with the sort of mineral depth that yancha has, if not quite the lick rock qualia of a good yancha yanyun. I drank this with 72 Hours in mind. While 72 Hours is superior in the sense of generating stronger feeling deeper in the throat, Blessing has a much stronger core with which all those nuances hang off of.

Thinking of Magic Mountain DNA and Blessings and some other teas, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that what I call Nannuo carrotiness is basically what happens to the fruitiness under more humid storage conditions than others. So, in my '06 Youle, I have dried apricot/apricot skins, but in TW stored '06 Youle, it more carroty. My '06 TW stored XZH Bulang Brick does not have much carrotiness, but the tea has never had all that much fruitiness, being more of a honey and foresty tea when young/my storage. so on, so forth...

Alright nothing too different this weekend, the only new stuff is the shu!

So the shu on Friday was the 2021 W2T Lesser Evils teaballs. It was advertised as something with a good price/quality ratio. I agree with this. Okay, anyways...this fresh shu has much less wodui than the more expensive stuff, interesting to me. The aroma and taste are essentially a deep dark herbals and dried fruit combo. As the session moves forward, it becomes more strongly dried fruit or fruity, and there's also a slight soil-ish rim to that as well. I don't find the flavors to be complex, but I did find it to be very even in performance (whereas, say, Interplanetary Shark Feed has some odds and ends in its flavor profile from steep to steep). It has decent viscosity and some texture, but there is a pronounced weird astringency that gives a gritty feel to the back of the mouth. Slight yiwu huigan to sweetness, mouthcoat. Good qi. The durability is pretty good and gracefully declines.

Sheng of Saturday was the '07 XZH Huangshanlin. Really good as usual. Comparing with the '08 Shuangxi Lingmen, the taste is much more agreeable and sweetly honey and a foodie high barnyard. Yancha-like mineralness is much less in aroma, and more discreet in the depth of the tastes. Unlike the '08 XZH, the feeling definitely goes down throat as well as doing all that stuff at the top of the throat. The aftertastes were really good for a bunch of the early brews, good mouthcoat, yun, and pungent huigan that's pretty seamless with each other. Qi is not as hard hitting as it used to be, but much more active and fuzzy bounderies like, and extended well past the swallow. Durability is good.

One thing I'm generally learn and relearn is how much tiers of tea qualities collapse as the tea ages. When these teas were young, Huangshanlin was clearly better than the '07 XZH Jipin, but things are more equal today. This phenomenon doesn't always happen--for example, YQH '06 teas have diverged in tea quality since I was first introduced to them...

Sheng of Sunday was the '19 Essence of Tea Yaozhudi. This was a bit of a disappointment. It's not really all that affirmatively good a tea. Aroma and taste have classic Wangong wild honey and bitter tcm aspect, so it's a bold and punchy tea, even if not all that mouthfilling or rich. There isn't a whole lot of complexity in taste and not any more dynamism than the taste rising and becoming more strongly honey sweet. There isn't a strong aftertaste game or much qi. It is by no means a bad tea, but it's definitely something that at $220/200g, you're paying money for the glamour of where it's from. It'd be a bit hard to do so, but it should be possible to get better classical yiwu stuff (for sure) at a lower price for gram--definitely mansa stuff from YQH, but also BYH offers some better quality teas at around that price point, as well as W2T's Queen of Clubs and the 2016 Last Thoughts.

The shu of Wednesday was the 2018 XZH Carefree. I enjoyed it. It does take a while to get going, but is capable of interesting, if subtle aromas, as well as a rather high taste that is still rich (for shu). Decent aftertastes and good qi. I took it a rather long way over two days.

The sheng of Friday was a tea I just got in from auction. I blindly bought this 百福藏倉 label from that guy that puts up lots of older xzh and runs Для просмотра нужно войти или зарегистрироваться - https://www.facebook.com/oldteahouse/ . The cake was 藏壽 無極鴻運野生古樹茶 with the wrapper saying it was 2013 (I haven't actually subsequently been able to find an example of the 2013 again, what's for sale online usually has either a 2014 or a 2015 wrapper). I wanted an idea of what sort of quality the brand represented. It turned out to be wild tea, with some crab feet sprinkled in. Here's a blurb for the general line 古樹茶-藏壽 - http://teaspace-mht.blogspot.com/2018/04/blog-post.html . Since I'm not all that experienced in wild tea, not really liking the genre that much, that was a bit of a bust.

So anyways, how was the tea? The aroma tends to consistently have a wood herbal nature with a rubber (like an erasor-head) focus along with the usual wild tea notes. In later brews, it's more purely woody herbal. The taste starts off with a dense lemony sourness for a few brews with other notes like woody herbals faintly there. As the session progresses, the lemon sourness fades and the background taste becomes sweet flavored with a touch of sensate sweetness while the foreground taste is dominantly woody herbal. There can be a number of nuances like fruit, sweet herbals, etc. The viscosity is very good, smooth, and with a slight oil texture. The aftertaste game is unusually good for wild tea with the mouthcoat aftertaste being decently strong, but also capable of yiwu huigan to caramel. The qi does the same sort of thing wild tea usually does, with short-lived bursts of odd-feeling intensity, but this tea is stronger. Durability seems to be pretty good, but was interrupted by cooking and eating.

In general, I tentatively approve of this tea, in the sense that this wild tea is much richer and more layered than wild tea usually are, especially without a bitter pole like the various kunlushan wild teas out there. There was also a good sense of Bingdao-mode in there as well. I do tend to be impressed by the novelty of wild tea before going back to meh again, so I need to try this one or two more times before I have a firm opinion. Compare to the XZH 2018 yesheng I had recently, they are alike in the sense that they have a nice woody layer, but this tea isn't very barnyard like the XZH, and is much richer and more robust while the XZH is more refined in my memory. I am curious about how Alex of the Teanotes blog would feel about this. He's pretty into wild teas, having done many reviews of them.

The tea Friday was the XZH '07 Yuanshilin, which is Manlin Manzhuang. This session wasn't as good as the last one on account that the aftertastes were back to the usual levels this tea presents, but still--the aroma and taste performance was exceptional. Essentially like a dark choco bon-bon with spirit preserved fruit within. TCM bitter pole with a touch of choco, barnyard, and plummy that has a sense of being preserved in sweet spirits. It had good mouthfeel and good qi. I took this a very long way. It wasn't very dynamic, but quite consistently tasty.

There were two teas today. The first was the 2005 Dayi Peacock of Mengsong. It wasn't that great today with nannuo carrot, plummy, wood, smoke being the primary character of the aroma and taste. Taste also tended to have a bitter pole. Chinese people tend to slam Peacock of Mengsong on account of being thinner and bitter, and that was sort of true today. There was a some mouthcoat aftertaste and a bit of qi. I didn't push this too far, and will brew more tomorrow.

The second tea was a complimentary sample of the 2021 Essence of Tea Secret Forest yesheng, as I wanted to compare with my recent experience. It was okay, but it's really more refreshing than good. Body is way too thin. A typical wild tea aroma, the taste is barnyard with honey and mint accents, brews have a bit of background sensate sweetness. Decent viscosity. A bit of mouthcoat aftertaste, and moderatish level qi--this tended to be more of a buildup to moderate level qi rather than a sip giving anyone an instant whammy.

Did a few more brews of the '05 Dayi and the wild tea. I brewed them hard, and they were kind of more enjoyable, the Dayi especially with a stronger bitter core.

Then I did the 2006 Dayou 858 Museum Opening commemorative cake. I had been getting some really good thermoses from this tea, so I wanted to see how the cake was doing for gongfu sessions. In short, I think there has been some aging and it has been filling out was is generally a kind of thin tasting tea, but I think it has the same flaws as the '07 YQH Qizhong, with an unpleasant tartness that probably came from some kind of bad process involving over-oxidized leaves. The tartness is much lighter, though. This did give a number of really good brews early before the tartness sets in, though.

Aroma is honey, plums, a light woodiness that suggests some warehousing/heavy humidity, and the taste reflects this as well. This was a really mellow and soothingly sweet experience. Eventually the honey fades from aroma and taste, and it gets a more empty plummy, woody, and a tartness to things. This tea is usually less honey and less full in aroma and taste, doing more of a spicy woody plummy thing. Think some part of the blend is aging nicely. The mouthfeel is reasonably nice with good thickness and with a trace of that classic Mahei cottony softness. Little-no astringency early, becomes more astringent late. Some good yiwu huigan early and a bit of mouthcoat through most of the session. The qi was unexpectedly nice particularly when the tea was flying high, quite soothing.

In general, at least for a time, this was a nice Classical Yiwu tea.

The second tea of the day was a retry of the 2021 W2T Reckless Daughter. Wodui went down a bit. I'm still a little ambiguous about the value of the tea, tho' I did enjoy it, particularly some late brews.

Again, aroma and taste are mostly like one another. The primary character early is a a kind of cupcake nature darkened by fermentation depth, so as to be sort of like, oh, carrot cake without the icing of course. As the session moves on, it gives a more pure sense, almost like butter caramel or something, before moving on to a nice fruitiness in late session. I noticed a touch of cologne-like floralness here and there, but they seem slight and might merely be transient as the cake settles from the fermentation process/pressing. Mouthfeel is reasonably thick, texture is kind of silty. One of the standout features of this shu is the aggressive mouthcoat aftertaste that can also leave the tip of the tongue feeling sweet for that salivation. Some decent feeling at top of throat. Qi was there but I didn't pay that much attention to it. I did want to brew a lot of cups, so I'd say it's reasonably durable for a shu. It's a rather dynamic tea over a session. It's not so complex early but some late brews are nuanced. The '07 Dengshihai shu I have does a lot of what this tea does (particularly lots of late session nuanced fruity brews), and it's aromatically woody. Reckless Daughter is more aggressively agreeable, tho'.

I did a (second) thermos of the wild tea. Again, it has a strong, penetrating celery-mint-patchouli aroma, a very strong taste for wild tea, and a lot of thick viscosity. However, it irritates the throat in the process of drinking. Not 100% non-poisonous.

The shu of Friday was the 2007 Denshihai. I did the session a little bit with Reckless Daughter in mind. And an outcome is a bit more weight on the idea I was a bit reckless in buying a pair of Reckless Daughter. Not because it was specifically redundant--they don't taste or behave quite like all my other lightly fermented shu, but I really have a lot of very good lightly fermented shu. Anyways, the Dengshihai is a very thin-tasting shu, but it's highly articulate in terms of aroma (the camphor is really nice) and a bit so in terms of taste, so there was a lot to slow down my drinking of each cup. I very much enjoyed the high quality qi. The aftertaste game is okay, not at a high volume, but the mouthcoat does linger and change good.

The sheng of Saturday was the 2006 YQH Chawangshu. I wasn't expecting that much, because it definitely can give blah sessions, but this session was quite good. Lots of dark mushroom and wood aromas, a taste that is dark and robust with a tcm-bitter pole, mushroom, plummy. good mouthfeel, but consistently mild-moderate astringency. Early aftertaste had a lot of nice wine mouthcoats, there was some yun, and a bit of feeling down throat. A touch of mouth aroma. Late brews had more subtle mouthcoats. The qi was about moderate, not particularly notable. In general, this session is pretty typical of the more dark and robust sort of Chawangshu, much like the 2012 YiwuTeaMountain version. That tea is probably more organized, better stored, and I bet a cake is more reliable, but this particular session was definitely better than the one try I had of the YTM on account of more complexity in taste, aftertaste, and strength of aftertaste. Here's the thing, this tea is $350/500g at the standard spot. There are an awful lot of yiwu teas considerably more expensive than this tea and not really as good.

The sheng of today was the 2009 XZH Diangu Iron. Quite enjoyable. Earlier half of the session is much like a Milan dancong, as opposed to the XZH '09 Shuangxi Lingmen's yancha-pu. Diangu is much less complex and layered than the '08, but it's quite a bit more overtly agreeable with all that peach, tasty bitter-floral, barnyard, caramel. Later half brews darken into a nice nuttiness, with one brew having a lovely hazelnut note in aroma and taste. Quite good mouthfeel, thick with a slightly silty texture to give it character. Light astringency that gets a little stronger. Like '07 Huangshanlin and unlike the '08 XZH, feeling can go down throat. In early brews, there was a good mouthcoat and yun. Later brews more of a subtle mouthcoat and a bit of sensate sweetness. Qi is strong and of high quality. This was quite a bit more pleasuably durable than I expected--it wasn't boring by the time I stopped at around fourteen brews and packed into fridge.

I was thinking that the '07 Diangu seems to be the only diangu that has a serious amount of woodiness.

The taste of the '09 Diangu Iron isn't that rich, and the taste of the '09 Diangu Chen is thicker and richer, but it's also quite a bit more boring...

Diangu Iron is notably more durable at a decent quality level than most recent XZH northern teas like Peach Drunk or Rushing...

In thermoses, I get a stronger sense that the 2006 YQH Chawangshu, while having nice elements, has problems, and a stronger sense that the 2009 XZH Diangu Iron is a really good tea.

The shu of Friday was the 2021 Pretty Girls dragonball shu. This was rather interesting compared to how the 2018 Pretty Girls operated. One thing that made itself clear in the very beginning was that the dragonball allowed for relatively whole leaves with little breakage after washing, giving the fragile nature of shu'd leaves. Next, the 2021 dragonball was with all small batch shu process, compared to a more mixed nature of 2018. There were some consequences. The 2021 shu is much thinner in taste, initially than many other teas, including fellow dragonball shu Lesser Evils, but it is way more durable than most shu. Also, in comparison to the 2018 tea, the fruit nature goes from being a hint in the dark and sweet mix in the 2018 taste profile, to being a theme unto itself in broad and long fashion. The 2021 version's aroma isn't particularly fruity, tho', it's more rum. It has decent mouthfeel, not outstanding, and some qi. The 2021 dragonball is overall roughly the same value as the Lesser Evil--Lesser Evil is more potent in terms of taste early and has stronger qi, but the Pretty Girls has deeper and more complex taste and is more interestingly durable.

I ordered a few cakes from Tea-Side on Black Friday, so...

The sheng of Saturday was the 2018 Mae Hong Son. First, a couple of things...samples are fairly different from cakes. It appears that samples were made and packed long ago, while cakes were stored relatively humid, so by and large, TeaSide's samples are drier than the cakes. There are lots of comments on TeaSide's reviews comparing with YQH. I do not find these teas similar to YQH, but I do find these teas to have a somewhat similar storage profile--TeaSide's cake storage is a bit aggressive! The other thing, and I see this in Alex's reviews of puer.sk's thai teas--Thaipus are finicky either in how you brew them or in the selection of leaves, so apparently, there is more variance from session to session.

The Mae Hong San performed very well today though. It's very clearly a probable genuine gushu tea. TeaSide describes it as being like Bingdao, but I'd would say that the better comparison are forested self seeded Mansa Yiwu. The effects of elevation are similar as to Bingdao/Xiaohusai, though.

Early aroma was mostly that melted butter for popcorn aroma with mineral, herbal, and apple. Mid aroma is apple, prune, herbal, caramel. Late aroma is chamomile, light prune/caramel. Taste is dark herbal, apple, prune most of the way. Later taste is chamomile, caramel, mineral. Late taste is sensate sweet light prune. Bitterness was only slightly present in one or two brews. Mouthfeel is pretty good, good thickness with velvet-silty texture with a touch of astringency. Some cooling, some feeling in mouth and going down throat a bit. There was a bit of slow down and difficulty in the sense that a couple of brews had a Sichuan peppery feel in mouth. Aftertaste game was quite good, especially early. Long and dynamic mouthcoat with an expressive yun that stops short of being a pungent huigan, and both gives of a sense of flora mouth aroma. Later brews maintain a bit of mouthcoat. The qi was strong and pretty decent in character--early brews planted me in my seat. Later brews felt like it got light, but after a break, it felt strong again, so I must have gotten used to it. Durability seems to be pretty good in the sense that I felt like I could brew sweet prune soups for as long as I wanted.

I apparently bought the last cake or one of the last cakes at $90 (original price was $130), which was a really good deal, because assuming I could consistently repeat sessions like this, the tea preforms easily into what is generally a $250-$350/200g sort of 2021 tea.

I did a second tea Saturday, the 2006 Hong Tai Chang 803. Stored rather heavy, but on this side of acceptable. This is really just pretty decent, and for the capable shopper, somewhat expensive for the $140 I paid for the cake. Excellent woody aroma (not very durable in cup, thoug), a bit of uneven qi, but taste is pretty thin in the fashion of most Thaipus, and not that much aftertaste. Invites immediate comparisons to 8582 and Changtai Jinzhushan on account of the aromatic woodiness. Both such teas have a more robust and solid taste. Should be a good casual tea and will try out for thermoses.

The sheng of Sunday was the 2014 Fox (also apparently the last full cake, or anything else). Performance was pretty similar to the sample tries. Caramel, fruit, herbal, minerals, mostly in aroma. Caramel, prune, beeswax, herbal, prune in taste. Later brews have caramel become more of a milky note. Okay viscosity, nondescript texture. Moderate,highish astringency, especially early. A bit of sweet mouthcoat is the aftertaste. Qi is about moderate.

I didn't want to do this shu on a Friday night, so today, I also did the 2020 W2T Old Reliable. I found it rather similar to the old '90s White Wrapper tuos, especially early. Definitely on the good stuff without being exceptional, and probably a very good shu to complement greasy eatings. Dark fermentation taste, caramel, graham crackers, a bit of wood early, and tea eventually becomes less sweet and becomes more a dark shu with a slight sweetness. Good mouthfeel with good thickness and smoothness. Not much aftertaste, and a bit of light qi. I didn't press for durability.

The shu of Friday was the 2021 W2T Loyal Soldier, finishing the sample off...It was a pretty decent session, with the most notable character being strong qi. It has a fairly deep tasting soup the rises to a kind of subtle dark dried fruits sense. Decent mouthfeel. Has some regular shu-ish yiwu huigan to sugars early and very late. Builds up a solid mouthcoat over the course of the session. It's a somewhat boring shu for a good shu, as it does what a shu is supposed to do, but nice, similar to like how that Sentinel hongchapu is for hongchapu. Lesser Evil shu is rather similar to this Loyal Soldier, particularly late, but it isn't a dark and solid early.

The sheng of Saturday was the 2006 HongTaiChang 802. It annoys me to realize that the 802 and 803 are not similar teas, per se. They are made with similar materials, but the the 802 is a small-medium grade leaf blend like a Dayi 7532 and the 803 is an 8582 sort of tea. This is something that's obvious in looks and taste and one would think at least *one* of these reviewers on the tea site would mention this. The 802 is more like the '08 XZH Shuangxi Lingman Iron rather than a 7532 or the Xiaguan Iron.

Aroma tends to have plenty of mineral, with some herbals later in the session, and light mushroom and wood notes here and there. Taste is thin in the typical Thaipu way, but it has nannuo-carrot, wood, light mineral early and eventually shifts to a more mushroom, wood, herbal sensibility. Hints of Thaipu prune. Viscosity is decent, a little plump in texture, but tends to have moderate and high astringency. Early session has some mouthcoat and cooling feeling. Qi is moderate-strong, but kind of feels like it fades as one goes deeper into the session. It has okay durability.

Compared to the 803, the 802 has the positive advantages of having stronger qi and aftertastes. The 803 has a stronger and richer aroma, and the taste is a bit fuller as well.

Then I did the W2T single serving sample of TypeA Tieguanyin. Durability is terrible, but it was nice while it was going. Very mineral, early brews had lots of nuance in aroma and taste. Has strong qi and a decent mouthcoat. This did remind me a lot of some dongdings

I had the last of my Thai samples today, the 2004 Yuen Nuen HongTaiChang from Teaside. The description is broadly fairly accurate. This is effectively something something Liubao-type process or an extremely clean heavily humidly stored tea. If it's truly sheng, it's as humid stored as warehouse tea, but there are no warehousing notes. I also found it interestingly quite similar to the 1988 HongTaiChang.

Aroma is generally a touch of soil, hazelnut, and a sort of fermentation depth, guess prune? Taste has a strong prune core throughout with earlier brews having hazelnuttiness, a sort of choco depth and a lot of nuance. Early session prune taste fairly winey or fermented. The later session taste is more dominated by prunes with a subtle sensate sweetness to them. As a whole, the taste is much more dense and rich than Thaipus usually are, and the taste experience is much like an exotic version of a choco-leaning liubao. The mouthfeel is good with decent viscosity and a texture with a touch of silt. A kind of gritty light astringency that contributes towards that silty feel. This tea did an unexpectedly better than expected job with aftertaste with a decent mouthcoat and some cooling. Qi is one of the best aspects of this tea--moderate strength, but quite high quality, and unlike many Thaipus, quite steady in feel and endurance through a session. Endurance is pretty good, as well, I did at least fifteen brews without feeling quite like I exhausted the tea, but it was definitely pretty tired by then.

For people who like round and mature tea, I rather recommend this tea.

Top Bottom