What's new

<<< SOTD “Obscure Shaving Gear/Den Diving/Archaeology Week” February 20, 2023 to February 26, 2023 >>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
OBIF'23 Astra SP (24/28)

Cream: Lucky Tiger Cream Shave
Razor/Blade:
Head - Maxwell June w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - F4 Toggle w/ Astra SP (24/28)
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Wild Country
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

Grandpa's den diving find!

Friday SOTD
[IMG]

Razor: 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum (D5)
Brush: Simpson M7 Platinium 22mm Faux Tortoise Shell
Bowl: Olivewood 5"
Pre-Shave Scrub: SheaMoisture African Black Soap
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Mojito
Shave Soap: Ethos Bay Rum
Balm: Viking Soaps Bay Rum
Aftershave: Extro Bay Rum Artigianale

SOTD 24/2/2023

1677253066474.png

-Mühle R41 head on a RR 2 Piece Halo handle
-Polsilver
-Mühle STF XL
-Grooming Dept Sandalwood Nobile SS
-Fine Santal Absolut AS + Aloe Gel

Read a discussion regarding the new LE Kairos base and decided to have a go with mine.
Obviously it's the older one but still performs exceptionally.​

Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Weishi (3)
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Soap: Stirling Baker Street
Aftershave: Bootleggers Original Bay Rum
Balm: Duke Cannon

The Fatboy is toward the bottom of my drawer. The gate on one side is sprung so I can only use one side and if I make a mistake and use the sprung side my face pays a price.

3709FFF7-A304-4797-A4BE-9F36B98CD092.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Friday, February 24th 2023

Razor : Yaqi 316 Stainless steel torsion slant with Yaqi 316 tear drop "cannon" handle- Mfg Jan 2023>, mild to tame mid range, this is my first use outing with this razor and was impressed with the slant performance for being on the tame side but the results are stellar, very efficient whisker snipper.
I just shaved like I usually do and I felt not threatened by any overly aggressiveness like some razors. The machining was tested if the blade was equal on both sides when shaving and that was a very accurate feel and very satisfied + finish was adequate for shaving ( I did stone a few sharp edges with care before, use your discretion on that because its owners call). It mowed down my one days stubble with no problems using my simple routine of 2 passes WTG & ATG and any pickups felt and it passed with flying colors for my desired type razor.
As for a slant razor enthusiast over the years it is not like other past slant razors for design and is more on the simplification design & Yaqi set a good example IMO so far. The blade clamping is excellent with no chatter other than whiskers getting snipped and loading and unloading blade is normal for a tab covered razor type IMO. Just use care like normal handling of sharp objects of any kind. The Yaqi Tear drop handle worked well also and l like tapered handles from years ago also using them.
Other razor manufactures will copy this design over the years more than likely because it is a great simple slant design & compact size possibly for them to manufacture (looks like Yaqi can think outside the box making slant razors at least & especially their 2 slants they offer are just different performers on the aggression scale(1 tame & 1 aggressive) + different designs for their 2 slant offerings).
Kind of long winded review of my first impressions. But some fellows are curious no doubt and like to know what it was like to use!
Blade : Gillette Astra SP(1) sharp & smooth with excellent longevity + my standard blade for testing new razors I have used over the years.
Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique clean scented soap with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " lucky dice" 26mm fan type brown whiskers Mew synthetic- excellent lather generator, velvet cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Won this proto type brush in the raffle sale 3 weeks ago.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my new Yaqi 316 SS slant razor with a Astra SP blade.
SOTD Feburary 24 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

23-02-2023

Proraso, Reinfrescante :: Yaqi TFC Brass, Super Max (# 10) :: Morris & Forndran, Lapislazuli :: Barrister & Mann, Vespers :: Institut Karitè :: Floïd, The Genuine

proxy.php

24-02-2023

Proraso, Pelli sensibili :: Tatara Muramasa, Super Max (# 11) :: Semogue Tatara, Finest badger :: Czech & Speake, Oxford & Cambridge :: Lea 3 en 1 :: Epsilon, Mediterranean Blue

proxy.php

Salut!

4AC89853-2A2A-460F-97D5-308CF8C9C339.jpeg

BB429083-BF31-4B15-BB0D-034681610980.jpeg

Razor: Tatara Masamune Nodachi Ti (open-comb & safety bar)
Blade: Dorco Titan (d3)

Soap: Australian Private Reserve & Southern Witchcrafts Gravefruit
Brush: Vikings Blade White Knight
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Pinaud Citrus Musk EdC

Today I wanted to use both base plates for the Masamune Nodachi so I decided to open with the open-comb and then switch to the safety bar (closed-comb) base plate. I used the open-comb for the first pass and then made the change.

The open-comb is very efficient with a moderate amount of blade feel but in this form, the razor is deceiving. You definitely want to tread lightly or risk a nick or irritation.

With my first pass completed, I could feel that I could have stopped right then and would have had a legitimate dfs. With my love for a bbs face I pressed on. I did a couple more passes and earned that bbs I was in search of. This was in no small part due to the fantastic shaving soap I used today.

The Gravefruit soap is a collaboration between Australian Private Reserve and Southern Witchcrafts, and at this point, this version of the soap is unobtainium. It's sad and unfortunate but true.

The scent is fantastic! It's obviously very grapefruit-forward but has beautiful citrus and floral notes. I pick up some, of what I think is, magnolia and jasmine along with a bit of wood mixed in. I'm absolutely sold on this scent, want a set for my den and highly recommend this if you can find some.

When done with this nice shave I slapped on some Citrus Musk aftershave/EdC and called it a fantastic Fruity February Friday shave.

Happy Friday. Take care my friends and enjoy your shaves!

Last edited:
Friday, February 24, 2023.

Floïd oil, pre shave. Saponificio Varesino 1945, Manna di Sicilia: Shaving soap, lotion aftershave; hight mountain two-band badger shaving brush, cacabolo handle.
Cedric Christ, Ali's blade, carbon steel, 8/8, hollow 1/4, stabilized bocote wood scales. Adqua di Parma, Ambra, EdC.

B5260CB0-AD0B-44EB-9E2E-A8A5E79CA257.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom