What's new

SOTD Monday Mar 13-Sunday Mar 19

Shower: T-Gel shampoo, Nancy Boy sig scent soap

Shave: Vision, Coates Tea Tree SC, Thayers Lavender witch hazel, Proraso Pre-shave as an A/S

Not a great shave today. I was a bit skittish to avoid a nick from yesterday, so went gently and left some stubble in one area.

Also, I'm just not sure about the Coates SC--I was unimpressed with the Coates Lime yesterday, and the Tea Tree left me cold, too. Neither lathered too great--seemed watery--and the smell on both was barely there. I bought these from Know Cigar on closeout for $19/tub, and I wonder if there was a reason the stuff was so cheap??? Anyone else buy Coates from Knox and have a similar experience?

I do like the Proraso as an A/S, though--never would have thought to try it this way without reading about it on a forum--thanks! Its smooth, leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth, and feels great--invigorating.

Mitch

full

Last edited by a moderator:
mrob said:
Shower: T-Gel shampoo, Nancy Boy sig scent soap

Shave: Vision, Coates Tea Tree SC, Thayers Lavender witch hazel, Proraso Pre-shave as an A/S

Not a great shave today. I was a bit skittish to avoid a nick from yesterday, so went gently and left some stubble in one area.

Also, I'm just not sure about the Coates SC--I was unimpressed with the Coates Lime yesterday, and the Tea Tree left me cold, too. Neither lathered too great--seemed watery--and the smell on both was barely there. I bought these from Know Cigar on closeout for $19/tub, and I wonder if there was a reason the stuff was so cheap??? Anyone else buy Coates from Knox and have a similar experience?

I do like the Proraso as an A/S, though--never would have thought to try it this way without reading about it on a forum--thanks! Its smooth, leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth, and feels great--invigorating.

Mitch
Mitch,
Are you using a brush? I have used the three Coates SCs that I purchased from KC and found them to be really enjoyable creams. Very, very lubricating with tons of lather to spare. By the by, while $19 is somewhat more reasonable for Coates, I do not find the term CHEAP applicable!:001_rolle

Merkur Vision with Feather PtInox
Vulfix Old Original #41Superbadger
Coates Rose Shaving Cream
QED Rose Water
Crusellas Rosa 1800 Authentico Kolonia

full

Last edited by a moderator:
guenron said:
Mitch,
Are you using a brush? I have used the three Coates SCs that I purchased from KC and found them to be really enjoyable creams. Very, very lubricating with tons of lather to spare. By the by, while $19 is somewhat more reasonable for Coates, I do not find the term CHEAP applicable!:001_rolle

Yes, I'm using a brush--have had good luck with Trumpers Sandalwood, Proraso and Nancy Boy, but just can't get the Coates to produce much lather. Odd?

mrob said:
Yes, I'm using a brush--have had good luck with Trumpers Sandalwood, Proraso and Nancy Boy, but just can't get the Coates to produce much lather. Odd?
Yes, sounds like you are a bit shy on product and long on H2O. That's why I thought you were trying to use it as a brushless.. I do not know what technique you are using, nor the type of brush, but whatever it is try something different. If you are using a nurdle picked out by finger, try dipping and twisting your brush and then building a lather. In the last two weeks I have used six different brands of shaving cream and I can say that without reservation that Coates was not the least in performance.. Good stuff that was as good as (or better than) any other..

Top Bottom