What's new

SOTD Monday,29.May-Sunday,04.June !!

Coche_y_bondhu said:
Hello NMMB,

I suggest trying Pacific Shave Oil, which on the forums is called PSO...

Well,

Apparently my ignorance is, once again, shining through the enlightened-guy façade… PSO is apparently the acronym for “Pacific Shave Oil” (a specific pre-shave oil) rather than an acronym for “Pre-Shave Oil”. I assure you, my well-shaven face is a little red with embarrassment. Say, wasn’t somebody going to a frequently used Badger & Blade acronym dictionary (FUBBAD)? I seem to recall that being mentioned once… and apparently it would come in handy to prevent me from making acronym-related mistakes in the future. Richard, thanks for the info… perhaps I’ll give PSO a try sometime.

Yesterday
Merkur HD/Personna Blade (day 4!)
Vulfix #2197
QEDMan B&B Scent Shave Stick
Wing
Prayer

Was visiting with the GF's family and didn't finish loading my Dopp kit. Thankfully a light touch and good soft water made the shave a decent one anyway.

Today
Merkur HD/Merkur blade (new)
Vulfix #2234
Moss Scuttle
Proraso Sapone Da Barba
Proraso Dopobarba Splash

Excellent shave today.

-Rich

Merkur Progress razor
SC brush
Chas. Tyrwhitt shave cream
Chas. Trywhitt balm
Acca Kappa White Moss EDT

full

Last edited by a moderator:
NMMB,

I too find that there is a great deal of "stickiness" from pso. I've tried Art of Shaving, Anthony Logistics, and Nancy Boy... All are castor oil based, which is heavy- even when diluted.

Supposedly, the Truefitt & Hill's newest preshaveoil (part of the Ultimate collection) is NOT castor oil based at all, but something lighter- I have no idea what, but the saleslady at Nordstrom said that's a big selling point for that preshaveoil. I tried a couple of samples and I definately notice that it's lighter than the others, but oil is oil, ya know? I've never tried the Pacific, but I've heard good things.

Let us know what you decide. (If you go to Nordstrom they can make a sample of the T&H to try a shave or two, which I'd recommend trying!)

NYLaw (et al),

One of the problems of being located in Canada (let alone in a smaller city in Canada, in this case Ottawa) is the lack of choices available for shopping (of any sort). Nordstrom (and many of the other stores which are frequently mentioned on B&B) are simply not available in my neck of the woods... Though, perhaps I'll try to pick up some T&H pre-shave oil the next time I visit the Men Essential store (or place an order)... and I've heard rumours that a cigar shop somewhere in the city sells AOS products (so maybe I'll hunt it down and give the AOS oil a try). As for the Pacific Shave Oil, well, if I happen to place an order from QED I'll probably pick some up, or maybe just ask for a sample... but all things considered I've been getting GREAT shaves without an oil... so maybe this should be a case of "it it ain't broke, don't fix it".

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
EJ4C&E
'82 Gillette long handle adj. w/Derby
Proraso cream
Proraso splash
Proraso crema liquida
Prorase pre/post (what the hell- I was on a roll)

It was very hot and humid today, and I found myself trying to seek relief in the form of cooling products. The Proraso is like a cold shower for the face.
When it's this hot, I tend to eschew sandalwoods, vetivers, et al, preferring to opt for lemon, lime, coconut oil, etc.
Anyone else adjust their rotation according to the season?:confused:

Evening shave today, I have a very early start tomorrow...

Merkur Vision with Wilkinson Blade
Kent shaving soap
Plain Witch Hazel
Trumper Coral Skin Food
I'll wear Trumper GFT tomorrow

Funnily enough tonight's shave great, I might switch to shaving in the evening as it's much more leisurely!

Shower ROC preshave shampoo

-SS /Gillette euro
-NancyBoy
-BK8
-Thayers lavender
-SCOTT McCLINTOCK byJESSICA a/s balm (very nice )
-Floris Special #127 (first time use)

On vacation--Day #1
Shower:
unknown soap
unknown shampoo

Shave:
Vision with Derby blade, day 4
SR 101 brush
Taylors avocado--sample (thanks, Kyle!)
T&H ultimate comfort A/S--sample

Day #2
no shave

Day #3
Shower:
unknown soap
unknown shampoo

Shave:
Vision with Derby blade, day 5
SR 101 brush
T&H limes--sample (thanks, Kyle!)
T&H ultimate comfort A/S--sample

Though I was on vacation, I must say I had 2 of my best shaves ever. I don't know if it was the new shave cream samples, courtesy of Kyle--thank you, my friend!!!--or the use of a borrowed ceramic cereal bowl to make my lather, which kept the lather MUCH warmer between passes than my usual stainless steel mixing bowl--or the return of my SR101 badger brush (which has assumed the role of travel brush), and its prickly little hairs!

Too many changing variables to know what made the difference, but I really enjoyed the results.

ouch said:
EJ4C&E
'82 Gillette long handle adj. w/Derby
Proraso cream
Proraso splash
Proraso crema liquida
Prorase pre/post (what the hell- I was on a roll)

It was very hot and humid today, and I found myself trying to seek relief in the form of cooling products. The Proraso is like a cold shower for the face.
When it's this hot, I tend to eschew sandalwoods, vetivers, et al, preferring to opt for lemon, lime, coconut oil, etc.
Anyone else adjust their rotation according to the season?:confused:
But of course! Citrus and mint are the thang nowadays.

• C&E Best Badger Brush by Edwin Jagger
  • Merkur HD
  • Feather Hi-Stainless
  • Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna Shave Cream
  • Thayer's ROSE Witch Hazel
  • PRORASO Crema Liquida Dopobarba
    [*]
    Tommy Bahama "Very Cool" Cologne

Last Shave at home until Saturday.

Travel kit include:

• C&E Travel Brush​
  • Gillette Aristocrat​
  • Pack of Derby's in "Gold" razor holder​
  • Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar in a Tube​
  • Crabtree & Evelyn NOMAD in a tube​
  • Sample jar of Body Shop For Men Shave Cream​
  • Sample jars filled with Trumper's Coral Skin Food, Baxter's ASB, Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel​
  • 4 samples from the Fragrance Train​
It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

Hello NMMB,

Good decision. If you are getting great shaves without a pre-shave oil or shave oil, then I would not add the oil to my regimen. It is best to stick to something that works for you. No need to add another factor into the shaving equation. I am always in favor of keeping things simple. Again, good decision.

Just for information, PSO is actually shave oil, not pre-shave oil. PSO was developed to be used just with water. I and many wetshavers use it before applying the lather, brushed or brushless.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

Truefitt and Hill 1805 Shave Cream
SMF I Shave Brush
Feather Artist Club RG with Super Pro Blade

Truefitt and Hill 1805 Cologne

Tuesday evenin' :

-Gillette Adj.FatBoy with Merkur blade
-Muehle badger brush
-Proraso Pre/Post cream
-Proraso shaving cream
-Proraso Pre/Post cream

A really cool shave, same as the weather here in Germany... :w00t: :w00t:

Thomas

Omega brush
Dovo straight razor
Arko shaving soap
Lubriderm unscented moisturizer
Chabrawichi 555 eau de cologne

another beautiful, baby butt smooth shave! :wink: :smile: :smile:

Jeff

Merkur Vision w/Feather blade
Shavemac brush
Trumper's sandalwood shaving cream
QED rose hydrosol
Trumper's coral skin food
Trumper's sandalwood EDT

full

Shower: Nancy Boy Bath Bar, conditioner, and face wash; Baxters shampoo

Shave:
Merkur slantbar with Euro-gillette blade
T&H soap
Shavemac "Scotto Special" brush
Em's Cucumber AS splash
Baxters ASB

T&H Trafalgar cologne

full

Ah, the T&H soap almost lathers itself. A truely awesome shave. Kudos to Em on the Cucumber splash, as well - a great product

I didn't shave for 4 days straight while on vacation (gasp!). The Monday morning shave was so dang close I skipped yesterday. :biggrin:

Wednesday

Shower:
Nancy Boy Body Wash (about near the end of the bottle)
Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub (found it when I cleaned out underneath the sink!)

Shave:
Futur with new Feather Blade (first time - thanks LetterK!)
Vulfix 2234
T&H 1805 Shave Cream sample
Thayers Rose WH
T&H Ultimate Comfort A/S Balm (sample)
GFT Anniversary Cologne

Irritating shave today. Might have been the 1805 shave cream as a guess - my face was just itchy and irritated for at least a couple hours. Still don't like the 1805 scent - that hasn't changed I guess. The Feather was fine and not especially scary, maybe a touch sharper than a Derby but a bit closer shave. The Ultimate Comfort A/S was a bit greasier compared to my usual Feather A/S. The GFT is good stuff.

Top Bottom