What's new

👖 🔵 🫐 “SOTD - I’VE GOT THE BLUES! Theme Week” January 17th, 2022 to January 23rd, 2022 👖 🔵 🫐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Gillette Blue Tip
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Ever Ready 200
Lather: Proraso Blue
Balm: Proraso White
Aftershave: faux Bootlegger‘s Perfecto Maduro

49538C12-6F3F-44FB-917C-37A8293A9626.jpeg

Saturday, January 22, 2022.

Floïd oil pre shave. Stirling Soap Co., British leather: Shaving soap & lotion aftershave. H. L. Thater 4125/2 Imperial Red Two Band Silver Tip Shaving Brush, Fan Round, 24mm. Ern, Gong razor, extra hollow ground, 13/16, Solingen, custom scales. Dana English Leather Cologne Splash

FA7127EC-7A41-4E3A-80FC-0E8432F749C0.jpeg

71A09E43-6F14-4C40-A248-5DE216421203.jpeg

SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, JANUARY 22, 2022

I have a passion for Japanese straight razors because of the level of craftsmanship they represent. My father treasured his self-winding Lecoultre, luxury, Swiss wristwatch until he passed in 2013 at age 99. That firm had its start as a modest blacksmithing concern started in the 1730’s in Sentier, Switzerland by Abraham Joseph Lecoultre. His grandson, Jacques David Lecoultre designed and built, with his son, Antoinne, a trained watchmaker, one of, if not the first, replaceable blade razors that have come to be called Framebacks.

After Jaques Lecoultre et fils’s very successful presentations in Lausanne in 1829, Bern in 1848 and finally at the Great London Exhibition of 1851, they began exporting their precision built razors to North America, England, Germany, and Russia. The razors were quite expensive in their day and were sold in upscale jewelry and the finest men’s haberdashery shops. Each razor was sold with two blades and a screwdriver. There were three models - the entry level black case with pointed scales, the mid-level green case with squared-off scales, and the red-cased luxury model with ivory scales.

The razors had their start in the 1830’s with the height of production being the 1860’s. After Jaque’s death in the early 1880’s the firm’s emphasis switched from razors to watches and clocks which are still made to this day. Razor production ceased in 1919. After acquiring a mid level model, I became fascinated with the precise specifications and fittings of these remarkable little razors. When properly cleaned up they still deliver an amazingly close shave.

I recently scored one of the ivory scaled models complete with case, blades and screwdriver. The blades and Frameback were badly tarnished and the scales yellowed and filthy. Thanks to the accumulated wisdom and know-how from various friends in the community it cleaned up quite nicely. It arrived fitted with the N1 (5/8) blade, but I swapped it out for the badly rusted and tarnished N2 (6/8). I have a N3 (7/8) blade on the way, and will swap that in after I clean it up upon arrival this coming Monday.

I cleaned up the N2 and ran it through my Shapton progression to 16k. Then finished it on the 9 Ball Slate with final burnish/polish on the Jasper stone until it passed the styrofoam peanut test. The wonderful thing about vintage razors is bringing them back into service and imagining the prior generations who used this same little precision tool.

The mug shave was a delight. Even after 160 yrs there’s a real feeling of precision in using one of these little Swiss razors. I’m definitely on the hunt for the black cased entry level model. Two and a half passes and yours truly ‘s mug was dolphin smooth. The following excellent noggin shave was a foregone conclusion as soon as I picked up the little Cooper Monobilt which completed this morning’s superb dome shave leaving your happy narrator smooth from noggin to neck after two ATG passes.

RAZOR: Lecoultre Frameback N2 (Mug), Cooper Monobilt (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE LE #007 Knurled Aluminum Handle with Hybrid Knot
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat, Jan 22nd 2022

Razor: Yaqi V2"Tile" 316SS with a Yaqi handle- Mfg 2021> great mild range with a standard Gillette blade, mid range with a Kai SS extra wide blade. Machined surface are adequate and closer Machining QC surfaces on Version 2 Tile razor head IMO.
Blade: Gillette Nacet(1) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with great longevity. Still testing the razor with a different blade.
Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandal wood cream, nice sandal wood scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Robin 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split ends bristle hair, great scrubber, great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel cleanse + Ogallala Bayrum with Sandal wood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion + scentless.
Result: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irrtiation + 1 blemish weeper= :a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi V2Tile razor with a Nacet blade.
SOTD Jan 22, 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

SOD Saturday January 22, 2022
This deep freeze has me looking forward to Spring!

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Fendrihan
Pre shave: None
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Druantia
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion: None
Balm: Southern Witchcrafts Druantia
Have a great day!

View attachment 1397315
Great hat and great soap! I think the boys will do well this coming season (the Jays, not SW! LOL) 👍

Saturday SOTD- a lovely, relaxed two-pass shave, DFS:

Maxwell June, twinned DE
KCG (3)- a really nice blade with too high a price; took a break from exploring Treet blades to regain a known reference point with a PPI blade, but likely will switch to a different Treet tomorrow to continue my explorations
Canada Shave Soap- simply yields a terrific, effective lather that does not require much of a load
Rein Dachs Klassik badger brush- new; an interesting low-cost brush ~$30 with a nice mid-size metal handle and a 20mm knot that's not uber soft, but softer than many badgers in the price range; seems like it may well break in to be a really nice brush
Master Smokey Oud- this scent seems to just make me smile, then a little Cerave since it is so dry in the house

Have a great weekend! I forgot to look for blue stuff today.

PXL_20220122_171559125.jpg

20220121_075123.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1968 N1 The Knack
Blade: The Blade (Personna) Stainless Steel
Brush: Elite Razor Kingman Turquoise, Manchurian White fan
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Rose Petal
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

SOD Sunday January 23, 2022
Here is what we have in store for Sunday:

S.W. Labyrinth scent profile is very complex. My nose was able to discern Lavender and Vanilla. I like it! I'm looking forward to trying the accompanying After Shave when it becomes available.

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Fendrihan
Pre shave: None
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Labyrinth
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG
Blade: Kai Stainless (1)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion: None
Balm: Southern Witchcrafts Druantia
Have a great day!

IMG_8710.jpg

Preshave: PAA Mentholated Cube in the shower
Brush: Omega Evo
Bowl: CC Copper
Soap: MdC Vetyver
Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB / Gillette Common Bar Handle
Blade: Gillette Permasharp (3)
Post Shave: PAA Alum, Thayer’s Lavender Witch Hazel
After Shave: Fine Green Vetiver
Balm: Brickell’s Instant Relief
Frag: Guerlain Homme EdP
Rating: DFS 9.5

After the talk of light handles I tried my 1.25 WR2 on the Gillette Common Bar Handle. It was a pleasant shave. Too soon to say what I think of the light handle. It was different in balance to what I am used to, but, it wasn't awkward in any way. I think I will devote some shaves to this combo first. Martin de Candre is great stuff and Vetyver is my favorite scent. The Omega Evo is a great brush. It is my only synthetic, but, what a synthetic. Great kit today all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom