What's new

SOTD "HALLOWEEN WEEK" October 25th - October 31st, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally it's time for a Theme Week, ladies and gentlemen. It's time to celebrate the art of shaving using Halloween as touchstone.

Let creativity be your guide, whether in the use of Halloween-themed hardware and software, props, or artistic representation in your photos.

Participation is not mandatory. Please feel free to post any photo, with any gear and any style you chose, or contribute by telling us what you used in your shave, with comments on the shave, if you desire.

Color, B&W, sepia or a photograph with any type of artistic touch you wish is always desired.

HAVE A LITTLE SEASONAL FUN!

Mon 25 Kamisori SR SOTD
Soap Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Badger
Razor NOS Henkotsu Kamisori
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic Splash
Very nice soap. Love the leathery scent and of course, the lather was creamy & quite slick too...
2nd shave with the kamisori. Not usually an SR shave-day due to work but just unable to ignore the urge so woke up earlier to do this shave. Wow...no regrets! This kamisori handle & edge is so easy, smooth & comfortable in 3passes I was able to improve the results significantly from the 1st use to between bbs to dfs without any issues. The trick is in the angle...thoroughly enjoyed the session! Aftershaves were terrific on a hot humid day!
20211025_103339.jpg

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Monday 25th October 2021
51500CF4-5DF7-4B18-B6D4-BB6B22EB16D1.jpeg

PrePAA Cube 2.0 USA 🇺🇸
SoapA&E Vanille de Tabac, USA 🇺🇸
BrushBGB Synthesis G6 Badger, Australia 🇦🇺
RazorGillette Old Type, USA 🇺🇸
BladeVoskhod, Russia 🇷🇺
Post ShaveProraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹, Thayers Witch Hazel, USA 🇺🇸
FragrancePenhaligon’s Haleti Leather, UK 🇬🇧
Rating10/10

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- RazoRock Hive Moaksoft HD Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock SS Lupo 72 / Gillette Stainless (red & white pack) #6
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tabac Craftsman

Monday, October 25, 2021.
Geo F Trumper’s, skin food, santal. Crabtree & Evelyn, Moroccan Myrrh: Shaving cream, balm aftershave & EdT. RUFIVK CRV, tejon dos bandas, mix ébano y resina roja. Jahre Revisor Solingen. 6/8 c-steel, full hollow ground, french point scales made from wine-red thermoplastic.
IMG_0300.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
6E10B0E2-902A-41FD-8F7B-3433068976E5.jpeg

1) England: Brush Progress Vulfix mixed Badger and Boar.
2) Germany: Shaving Soap Tabac.
3) Multinational: Razor Schick Extreme 3 Sensitive Disposable. Blades made in the USA and packaged in China.
4) France: Alum Block Osma.
5) Germany: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm.
6) Spain: Cologne Nautica Classic Cologne.

7AAF3250-6998-4282-BAF5-632502A3BD5D.jpeg

SOTD MONDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2021

Today I shaved my mug with a Swedish Faux Frameback 4/8 that dates to between the 1880s- 1890s. These razors marked the point just prior to the appearance of Swedish hollow ground razors. The Faux frameback was a thin solid piece of steel to which an external spine was attached. I know a lot of folk like these razors, but I find the shave to be much less refined than the later hollow ground Swedish razors. Yes it gets the job done, but it is a much cruder shaving tool than a hollow ground straight IMHO. Three passes got the job done, but the shave just wasn’t as refined as say my Klas Tornblom 4/8 which is hollow ground and definitely provides a more comfortable, closer shave.

A few years ago the 2011 Muhle R41 safety razor would be described as extremely aggressive and terms like “beast” were bandied about in describing it. Honestly, I believe the original handle the razor came with didn’t help matters. I was never happy with the grip it provided. My solution was to swap in a Weber Bulldog handle which made a great difference weight and balance-wise in hand for me. I find the razor to be an incredibly efficient dome shaver that when equipped with a sharp DE blade like a Feather leaves my dome velveteen smooth as it did this morning. In fact, my dome shave was without doubt closer and smoother than the mug shave this morning.

RAZOR: CW Dahlgren 4/8 Faux Frameback (Mug), Muhle 2011 R41 Weber Bulldog Handle
BLADE: Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
CREAM: PSC Caffeinated Shaving Cream
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with PSC Caffeinated AS Balm.

20211024_112016-01.jpeg
SOTD #258/2021
25-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Taj
Soap: Speick ~ Tallow Men Shave Stick
Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Speick Men ASL, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Aqua Creme.

The Mistura is such a joy to use for face lathering... honestly, I really like it.
Other than this experience there is not much to report today. I had a flawless and efficient enough two pass shave with some touchups to enter DFS-territory. No cuts, no drama.

Happy shaves!

SOD Monday October 25, 2021

Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub or tube of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Shave Nation
Pre shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Proraso Red (64)
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion: Proraso Red Dopobarba
Balm: None

Have a great day!
IMG_7925.jpg

Razor: Eagle Safety Razor Co. - Improved “Above ‘Em All” 1910
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE - Modified for Eagle Improved (1st)
Brush: FS - 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
Lather: Officina Artigiana - Milano
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Reserve - Cool
49EFC809-DCD9-4454-91C6-065C3A3C9F14.jpeg

63739F67-D709-4F67-A653-E89800534923.jpeg

The Eagle has landed!
I’ve had this Eagle razor for a while but it took me a while to sit down and modify a blade to fit it. It really wasn’t any big deal and @Flintstone65 had a nice pictorial of his Eagle blade modification to refer to.
That done, I could tell from the first stroke that this was going to be a highly efficient shave. Luckily the razor had enough feedback to remind me that I was using a brand new GEM PTFE blade…“so don’t get cocky!”.
Efficient? You betcha! Down to the hardwood in two passes. Even the tough whiskers in the uneven terrain of my chin that usually take lots of sanding magically disappeared…Poof!
As close as this shave was I expected a lot more burn from the AF splash than I got. I’m looking forward to seeing how this razor evolves as this GEM blade becomes broken in.
I don’t know if this razor is really “above ‘em all”, but it sure is soaring with the best of ‘em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom