Brush: PAA "Atomic Rocket" synth
Lather: Long Rifle "Brown Bess"
Razor: Hone "Type 15"
Blade: Gillette "Nacet"
Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
Frag: Clubman "Special Reserve"
Tried something different this morning.
Instead of using a CeraVe bar as a pre-shave,
I applied a dab of lotion to wet skin and beard.

It is very slippery stuff, and as it moisturizes
both beard and skin, I figured it would work
as a pre-shave. It did, I'm happy to report.

Lathered up with some autumnal "Brown Bess"
and finished off with some "Special Reserve" for
a perfect seasonal ending to a fine shave.

Stay healthy,

Bill
I have some CeraVe Lotion. I don't normally use pre-shaves but I do every now and then. I think I'll try it one day this week.
Thanks for your post.

AFBEF1F7-95DB-4449-889C-5D8F012E31CB.png

SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 3, 2021

Today I pulled out what I like to call the Edgar Allan Poe Stubtail for my mug shave. It's a Sheffield Ellis & Allan blade that sat unhoned and unscaled for at least 205 years. This lonely big honkin’ piece of steel was imported to the Ellis & Allan Mercantile Firm of Richmond, Va around 1815 by Jonathan Allan, the partner who managed their London branch. The other being Richard Ellis who handled US operations.

In any case the blade ended up at the Sandpoint, Idaho razor beauty spa along with another of similar vintage. The proprietor didn’t remember the particulars, but did transfer ownership to yours truly after honing it and clothing it in bone scales with an amber wedge all of which were affixed with period brass pins, along with beehive caps and washers.

It is an unusually sized stubtail at 8/8. This was the largest straight razor in my collection until the arrival of the Gipson Katsumi smiling blade at 14/13. Despite its girth, Glen Mercurio put an amazing edge on it that’s a joy to shave with. Although cleaning up my neck did require some additional buffing beyond the usual three passes along with some final flatblading, a technique I learned from BarberDave of the Shaving Cadre Forum to achieve my desired smoothness.

After yesterday’s shave with my Gem MMOC, I decided to give it another go. The MMOC was one of the first TTO designed safety razors. It is well-balanced enough that this old geezer with his arthritic joints is able to wield it comfortably and achieve an amazing level of smoothness, and everything worked just as well this morning. This efficient little razor sheared away my noggin stubble and left your happy narrator porcelain smooth from the shoulders up.

RAZOR: Ellis & Allan Stubtail 8/8 (Mug), Gem MMOC (Dome)
BLADE: Pella PTFE Gem
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: JT Sapele Resin Handled Omega Pro48 Boar Knot
SOAP: Fine Snake Bite
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Fine Snake Bite AS Splash.

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Ethos Lavender
Brush
B&B Essential Boar
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Gillette Red Tip
Blade
Astra SP
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane ASB
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10
Comments
A beautiful Arizona morning. Using the Ethos Lavender for the 8th time. I am liking the Ethos soaps. Very easy to lather. The Red Tip – Astra combo is working out nicely. This is the 4th quality shave with the combo. A nice, BBS Sunday shave. Have a good one, folks.

Razor: GEM Damaskeene Open Comb - 1912-14
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (1st)
Brush: FS - 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Stirling Pink Clay - Facial Bar Soap
Lather: Shannon's Soaps - Forest City Fern
Aftershave: TOBS - Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion
TOBS - Sandalwood Luxury Gel
FE792A0F-C38E-4DD7-9F3A-B3BDD9BF3CFB.jpeg

Dam…askeene the Torpedos!
Fabulous smooth shave this morning. Damaskeene OC with a brand new GEM blade using zero pressure. It felt like I got a BBS using nothing but a wash cloth.
Nothing but pure joy to bury your face in a “Frank’s” 28mm G4 synthetic. So soft and dense it’s hard to stop lathering and begin shaving. Truly my desert island synthetic.
As usual, I used too much Shannon’s soap. The lather just kept getting bigger and bigger, but in tandem with my Franks G4… a facial dream.
TOBS sandalwood is always a classy finisher.

SOD Sunday October 3, 2021
Feeling blessed to run for those who aren't able to. Keeping those who are no longer with us, their spirits alive.

Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!
Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Shave Nation
Pre shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Proraso Red (47)
Razor: Gillette 1959 E4 Settings:
Face WTG:3-XTG:2-ATG:1
Head WTG:5-XTG:4-XTG:4-ATG:3
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (2)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion: Proraso Red Dopobarba
Balm: None
Have an amazing Day!!
IMG_7724.jpg

20211003_155217-01.jpeg
SOTD #245/2021
03-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Taj
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Deep Blue Sea
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Deep Blue Sea AS & psb

I had a very easy and dramafree shave today with the rather mild SLOC. Three passes, almost bbs. Nice!

Enjoy your Sunday, y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom