What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" September 16th - September 22nd, 2019

I gathered my least expensive items. Noxzema for a pre-shave. Arko soap, an old Barbershop brush, a Yuma razor (Personna blade… only because it was on its 5th outing), and topped it off with Barbasol after shave. I also like a little Jesus in the morning… just to start my day out right.

Noxzema runs me about 5 bucks (could have used dollar store brand but I splurged)

Arko soap runs about a buck and a quarter when I buy 12.

Seems like I got the brush in a lot sale for about 10.

Yuma razor goes for between 4 to 6 according to how you catch the auction listing. WARNING: I saw someone trying to sell these for 35 dollars and when I wrote him he said it was a pre-war Yuma… right… (Jesus knows the truth).

Personna blade I guess was about 15 cents.

Ordered the Barbasol from Walgreen’s for about $2.30. They don’t sell it in the store but will deliver it free to a Walgreen’s near you. It gets the job done... in a manly way!

When you prorate it all out I don’t know what it comes to… but it is a cheap shave.

However the results were very good. I always have good shaves with the Noxzema and Arko. The Barbershop brush did me right and the Personna blade performed as expected.

I discovered the Yuma about a year ago. Man it looks cheap (and is cheap). It looks like the prize you would get in a cereal box back in the 60’s. It is very light, feels as cheap as it looks, and makes you think you would shred your face it you actually used it.

But it always gives a very nice pleasant and clean shave. It is a constant in my rotation. My high end razors have their place but if I was left with nothing but the Yuma… I could survive and even thrive. They are so cheap that I have 4 extra on standby. I think Jesus likes them because they are a very humble razor (Yeah, I know He has a Nazarene background and doesn’t shave… but if He did…).

2019_Aug_21_8348_LR.jpg

Reminds me of when I'd go camping some years ago and have fantastic shaves with Arko and a Tweezerman clipped badger brush topped off with Clubman AS.

I'd always think how wonderful our hobby is when we can have great shaves for pennies.

I always like reading these type of topics

Lately I've been shaving with more frugal soaps. Particularly on workdays. It's usually Cella or Arko. Right now I'm participating in Arko August and using more frugal software too.

Have been wanting to try barbersol aftershave. I remember seeing it a few years ago on the store shelf. But can't recall where?

Have a Walgreens near me. So maybe I'll order some up like you did.

It's another "FREE WEEK" ladies and gentlemen.

It's time to be creative.

Please feel free to post any photo, with any gear and any style you chose, or contribute by telling us what you used in your shave, with comments on the shave, if you desire.

Color, B&W, sepia or a photograph with any type of artistic touch you wish is always desired.

HAVE FUN!

Date:- 16 September 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Edwin Jagger Synth. v2.0 Silvertip Fibre Faux Horn 25/58mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soaps ~ Texas on Fire (sample)
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Brass 'C' / NOS Wizamet Super Iridium #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water Wave

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0022 - Edited (1).jpg

Monday 09.16.19 SOTD
The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Pre-Shave Oil
iKon X3 Slant.OSS Handle / Feather (3)
Yaqi Ruby Handle 24mm 2-Band
Proraso Red Tub
Ogallala Bay Rum Aftershave

DSCF0023 - Edited (1).jpg

5 Sep 19
Razor: Karve brass SB
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (0)
Brush:
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Neutrogena face clearing brushless cream
Aftershave: Clubman No Bumps Gel / Bodyshop Kistna AS balm
Additional Care: Thayers WH
IMG_20190913_120622.jpg

Monday SOTD

Ever-Ready 1924 Shovel Head
GEM PTFE (12)
Speick stick
Yaqi Violet 24mm 2 Band Fan Badger
Aqua Velva Ice Blue​

Monday
Pre-shave: Neutrogena HydroBoost Cleansing Gel
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli Red)
Brush: Caswell Massey Super Badger
Soap: Mama Bear’s Hydrogen Shave Soap
Aftershave: Alum/ Fellow Barber Every Day Tonic/TOBS No. 74
Balm: Clarins Men Super Moisture Gel

Monday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Scots Pine Sheep
Soap: Palmolive Menthol Cream
Razor: Vintage Gillette Red Tip Super Speed
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (9)
Brush: John’s Brushes Silvertip-22mmx48mm
Aftershave: Pino Silvestre Underwood EdT

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Palmolive Menthol Cream today. 20 seconds to load the John’s Brushes Silvertip brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Rapira Platinum Lux still in the Gillette Red Tip Super Speed. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Pino Silvestre Underwood EdT.

Bob

proxy.php

Date : 16/09/19
Razor : Wolfman WR2 1.05 SB
Brush : Paladin PK-47 Silvertip 2 Bandas (26mm)
Lather : Martin de Candre Original (Soap)
Aftershave : Floid Genuíno (Lotion)
Blade : Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge
Shaving Passes : WTG + XTG + ATG

proxy.php

Monday, 9/16:

Razor - Merkur 34C
Blade - Bic (1)
Brush - PC Woodcraft maple burl "Super Silvertip" 24mm (face lather)
Soap - Mystic Waters Raspberry Lemon
Aftershave - Brickell unscented

I loaded the brush using "Marco's method" to see how it worked both with a silvertip brush, and with Mystic Waters soap, which I've had trouble a couple times with in the past. I must've loaded for almost 2 minutes, and the brush was basically cold by the time I took it to my face, but I had a lovely shiny, low-structure lather that performed beautifully. I probably could've even added more water than the couple additions I did, but it worked great regardless.

This was my first use with a Bic blade, and I have to say, it was pretty good. It seems pretty sharp if not necessarily as smooth as a Feather, and I was left with an excellent face feel and smooth skin. Starting the week off right!

Proraso Preshave Cream / Stirling Soap Co. "Sandpiper" soap / Kent H8 / Merkur Futur / Voskhod / Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Sandpiper" splash / YSL La Nuit De L'Homme EdT

IMG-2243.JPG

Top Bottom