Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday, September 20
proxy.php

Santa Maria Novella~~Simpson CH3~~Detroit Cut Co. "National"

Have a great day!

F1061045-4B52-4695-B26F-00CE4D1A195E.png

SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 20, 2020

Today’s shave deserves to be framed. I spent yesterday afternoon applying some of the honing principles my son, Ben, has taught me. I began with the Imperia La Roccia (ILR) stone I nationalized from Ben’s rock garden. Worked up a slurry on the ILR after first lapping it with Ben’s coarse Atoma diamond plate and followed with a tomo nagura slurry stone and kept gradually diluting the created slurry until I was working with just water and the blade began to stick. I then spent about an hour with the UF side of my jasper stone and plain water until the blade again began to stick. Three pasted stroppings (0.5, 0.25, 0.1) and 30 strokes on the leather paddle strop and the blade began to resemble my Diamond Hayashi Nichiri Tokusen Silver Steel Razor’s edge under 200x magnification. The pattern is not identical because the steel’s different, but the smoothness is evident as is the slightly more acute angle as I did not use tape on the spine.

I just can’t stop grinning after today’s mug shave. Yesterday’s shave was ok, and many would be happy with it. Maybe it’s just the fact that I rebuilt the edge by increasing the angle slightly and smoothing it out. Despite the slight stubble, the blade floated through the MWF lather both above and below the jawline. The weep from yesterday reopened, but the MWF lather did its thing and by the end of the first ATG pass was no longer bleeding. The second and final XTG pass put the baby in the velveteen cradle. My greatest learning which was truly freeing was recognizing that my straight shave was just that and need not mirror many of the straight shaving exemplars on YT. It was Jared Connerty’s video and his unconventional - at least according the others I’d viewed - two handed blade hold on an ATG neck pass that helped me realize it's my shave, freeing me up to use a variety of unconventional holds.

After that great mug shave, I loaded the RR Hawk V3 with a fresh palm-stropped Feather Super and had at it. The huge 26mm Two Band Badger ferrule in the Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute brush worked up a rich, yogurty, slick lather. Applying the lather with this huge rush really felt good and just contributed to what turned out to be a truly paradigm-shifting shave. Particularly so when my mug shave feels so much closer than my dome shave. I had this same experience two days ago with the Feather DX. Now don’t get me wrong, I do believe that technique trumps tools. It just appears to me in retrospect that the infinitely flexible angles afforded the open edge shaver do provide a leg up technique wise when compared to the fixed angle built into a safety razor. I’ll have to think some more on this recognition. Maybe I just experienced my first Kuhnian Shaving paradigm shift! In any case I feel velveteen, clean and refreshed on this beautiful morning in Philadelphia!

RAZOR: Riga Razor 7/8 (Mug), RazoRock SS Hawk V3 (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by Argan Oil
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 26mm Two Band Badger Ferrule
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Alt-Innsbruck and A&E Post-Shave Serum.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick Shave, Sept 20th 2020- A Nivea shave day also, good products.

Razor: Schick i2 injector type with hydro magic- MFG 1954-57 A very good milder Schick injector, not as mild as some later models but gives a very DFS+.
Blade: Personna injector (6)- excellent blade in this razor, very sharp, good longevity & smooths out nicely as more shaves are applied to blade IMO.
Soap: Nivea sensitive cream- nice mild scented soap with good lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 24mm synthetic- reminds me of a boar brush but with soft tips to paint lather, great brush.
Pre shave: Shower, brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Nivea refreshing aftershave + Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:great shave with my Schick injector i2 type + Personna blade.

Sunday Schick shave, Sept 20th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Sunday Shave

Razor: Fatip Classic Lo Storto Slant Open Comb
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Proraso
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3

I used my very last Astra SP today, a razor blade I've never particularly liked, but would try once or twice a year in different razors because they're so popular. However, I do get along fine with Astra SS blades. Anyway, today's shave with the Astra SP worked out quite well in the Fatip razor, but there are still other blades that I prefer and will not be buying any more Astra SP blades.
20200920_111020_kindlephoto-5979310_0.jpg

Sunday Schick Shave, Sept 20th 2020- A Nivea shave day also, good products.

Razor: Schick i2 injector type with hydro magic- MFG 1954-57 A very good milder Schick injector, not as mild as some later models but gives a very DFS+.
Blade: Personna injector (6)- excellent blade in this razor, very sharp, good longevity & smooths out nicely as more shaves are applied to blade IMO.
Soap: Nivea sensitive cream- nice mild scented soap with good lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 24mm synthetic- reminds me of a boar brush but with soft tips to paint lather, great brush.
Pre shave: Shower, brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Nivea refreshing aftershave + Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:great shave with my Schick injector i2 type + Personna blade.

Sunday Schick shave, Sept 20th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves!
Is the Nivea a good slick soap? I love their balm, but I use The Fat because of its slickness and the way the lanolin leaves my skin. I’m always open to trying something new if the results are better than what I’m currently doing.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Is the Nivea a good slick soap? I love their balm, but I use The Fat because of its slickness and the way the lanolin leaves my skin. I’m always open to trying something new if the results are better than what I’m currently doing.
Hello @TexOkie Shaver, Nivea is not as slick as Mitchel's wool fat. Some people might like it because its easy to clean up afterwards off of face. Nivea will give good protection and I like to use it with combination of left over soap in my lather bowl(Tabac this morning) and the Nivea scent is a pleasant one. I enjoy Nivea cream soap and at one time that is all I used for months. There are better soaps possibly for slickness but not as a pleasant a mild scent.

Gillette Foamy Lemon-Lime
Gillette Gold Ball End Tech
Brut Splash

Today my parents would have been married 62 years. This is what he normally shaved with when I was a kid so I used his Gold Ball End Tech, don't know if he used Brut in 1958 but that is all he has ever used since I can remember.

Hello @TexOkie Shaver, Nivea is not as slick as Mitchel's wool fat. Some people might like it because its easy to clean up afterwards off of face. Nivea will give good protection and I like to use it with combination of left over soap in my lather bowl(Tabac this morning) and the Nivea scent is a pleasant one. I enjoy Nivea cream soap and at one time that is all I used for months. There are better soaps possibly for slickness but not as a pleasant a mild scent.
I tried to find the soap on their website and all I found was cream in a tube. :c13:

Probably just as well. I don’t need another soap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom